Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

Have you tried doing any grip strength training? I picked up some FatGripz and love them. They hurt my arms so good cause they increase the bar girth making your arms work more to hold the bar. your weight will drop for what you can handle but it will cause your grip strength to skyrocket

I need too, I can tell grip strength is my weakness on DL right now. It's starting to get really hard to keep my grip on the bar.

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Have you tried doing any grip strength training? I picked up some FatGripz and love them. They hurt my arms so good cause they increase the bar girth making your arms work more to hold the bar. your weight will drop for what you can handle but it will cause your grip strength to skyrocket

Not much direct grip training, I did do dead hangs a while back if that counts. I've seen fat grips around and thought about getting some, but I think I'll hold off until grip becomes a limiting factor or the difference between my DOG and MG deadlifts gets too big.

• Like 1

Follow me on snapchat or instagram @ catintherack

Squat: 115kg

Bench: 77.5kg

Deadlift: 130kg

Total: 322.5kg

Weight: 68kg

I wish I had gotten them sooner instead of waiting. I would suggest sooner and train with them rather than later.

• Like 1

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

Ditto. Ive got my fat gripz on some dumbbells and do farmers holds (right phrase?) while watching TV.

Dead hangs with fat gripz are savage.

They're really expensive for what they are though, luckily mine were a present.

In terms of deadlift I double overhand until it gets too heavy and then go back to it for my lower weight volume sets.

I wish I had gotten them sooner instead of waiting. I would suggest sooner and train with them rather than later.

Guess I'll be looking for some this weekend... know any stores that sell em?

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

I'm curious to see where he goes with this.  So, not yet.  

If you doesn't meant hashtags here you go:

At least my last two Hashtags would require being honest but strangely most people are unable to be honest with himself, I understand why you lie to others but why the fuck are you unable to accept that you are just another shitty human.

Just accept that you are fat at least you can fucking change your body and it does not require  tons of money like fixing your face, just doing something. And if you want to stay fat than stay fat but stop cry about that you are not getting the sexy boys/ girls. And don't call them Sluts/arrogant for having standards you don't reach.

But hey since we are a world full of lazy and weak fucks it is far more easy to lie and that's what the Dadbody is a fucking lie.

Women who "love" the dadbody are either the vessels who made the fatbody to a "dadbody" (aka mother of his child), women who gave up, women who accepted that they are only short above the "blow up" girlfriend level or just can't handle beeing less attractive than their partner.

I'm curious, and also want to see if there's anything to talk about other than dadbod, so just a quick deadlift question. At what point do y'all switch to a mixed grip? In my workouts I've been using double overhand until I can't manage the weight and then switching to mixed. The highest I've gotten is a set of 5 for 110kg with DO grip, 130kg for 3 with mixed.

When I first started lifting around 9 months ago I had a PT, he wasn't terrible but in hindsight he wasn't great, and he had me use only mixed grip for deadlifts, made it hard to get out of the habit.

Just stay with it as long as you want, if you want to keep the double overhand grip I guess you have to work on your grip strength aka do farmer walks.

Backtracking a little, am I the only one who just frankly doesn't give two shits about dadbod?  Seriously, before this thread I didn't even know it was a thing, and I haven't clicked a single link for it either.  Who gives a shit what stereotypical body someone has as long as the bar goes up? 

I don't care about the body of some strangers, what pisses me of is the celebration of it or more like the celebration of what it stands for (laziness, weakness and deceiving oneself). In what culture do we live that we celebrate "virtues" like this?

• Like 1

I haven't seen them in the stores. Amazon or Fatgripz.com have them for roughly $40. well worth the money

What exercises would you recommend them with?

anything that you can do with the bar (can use the for squats but there is no real point) Basially any exercise where you are grasping a bar so to list a few

Pull up

row

bench

deadlift

OHP

Curls

Farmer Carry

You get the idea by now

• Like 1

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Goal Weight 1000lbs

Let's just call it #acceptancemovement and all go back to the gym

Impossible.

10606170_10152752849601117_6861971552624

I'm curious, and also want to see if there's anything to talk about other than dadbod, so just a quick deadlift question. At what point do y'all switch to a mixed grip? In my workouts I've been using double overhand until I can't manage the weight and then switching to mixed. The highest I've gotten is a set of 5 for 110kg with DO grip, 130kg for 3 with mixed.

When I first started lifting around 9 months ago I had a PT, he wasn't terrible but in hindsight he wasn't great, and he had me use only mixed grip for deadlifts, made it hard to get out of the habit.

Think about what you're deadlifting for. If you're deadlifting primarily for grip training (which is weird, but nobody says you can't do it) DO it all the way and get that fat grip. If you're deadlifting to strengthen your hinge movement, do whatever allows you to go heavy--hook grip, straps, whatever. (You can alternate sides of the mixed grip if you want.)

I don't care about the body of some strangers, what pisses me of is the celebration of it or more like the celebration of what it stands for (laziness, weakness and deceiving oneself). In what culture do we live that we celebrate "virtues" like this?

image.png?w=500&c=1

• Like 2

I haven't seen them in the stores. Amazon or Fatgripz.com have them for roughly $40. well worth the money

anything that you can do with the bar (can use the for squats but there is no real point) Basially any exercise where you are grasping a bar so to list a few

Pull up

row

bench

deadlift

OHP

Curls

Farmer Carry

You get the idea by now

When I do get around to getting them I'll probably test me strength on a few things with them and then throw some fat grip sets in with my regular ones. I suppose deadlifts have gotta be good seeing as they're one of the heaviest exercises, maybe go as high as I can with fat grips, then as high as I can with regular double overhand, and then mixed grip. Pull-ups definitely make sense, though I'd probably wait until I can do a few higher rep sets.

Curls seem like an odd choice, surely your grips not gonna be pushed very far with such low weight?

When I do get around to getting them I'll probably test me strength on a few things with them and then throw some fat grip sets in with my regular ones. I suppose deadlifts have gotta be good seeing as they're one of the heaviest exercises, maybe go as high as I can with fat grips, then as high as I can with regular double overhand, and then mixed grip. Pull-ups definitely make sense, though I'd probably wait until I can do a few higher rep sets.

Curls seem like an odd choice, surely your grips not gonna be pushed very far with such low weight?

what it does is engage your forarms more. So you actually aren't able to curl as much weight because you are expending more energy by having to grip harder

• Like 1

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

Estemated 1RM

Goal Weight 1000lbs

"I wonder if the trainer is going to have that song by AC/DC on the gym music play list?  I LOVE that song!" Oh, you mean the one you and your gal pal just non-stop gabbed through five minutes ago while barely walking on the treadmill?

• Like 2

"The only decision that matters is what you do with the time that has been given to you." (Gandalf - LOTR)

"If you don't have a thick bar, use adaptors. Or, go cheap and split a PVC pipe of appropriate width and length and slip it over a standard barbell. A two-inch grip is difficult and the three-inch is brutal."

from https://www.t-nation.com/training/5-simple-ways-to-get-stronger

Also Cat in the rack same link first article for a grip strength test if you want to test it before trying to improve it.

• Like 1

Backtracking a little, am I the only one who just frankly doesn't give two shits about dadbod?  Seriously, before this thread I didn't even know it was a thing, and I haven't clicked a single link for it either.  Who gives a shit what stereotypical body someone has as long as the bar goes up? 

It all depends on goals... Do I love being strong? Hell yes! Do I love being faster than anyone I know in any distance past 400m? Its bloody glorious... But I don't lie to myself, I workout 5-6 days a week to be pretty, and I'm very content with that.

___

As for grip strength- my current favorite is to hold to plates together with one hand. Squeeze them and walk around. 10# plates are a good starting point, really makes you feel it. 

• Like 2

Currently lost in Fitness.

... But I don't lie to myself, I workout 5-6 days a week to be pretty, and I'm very content with that.

Me too, and pretty I will be.

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

As for grip strength- my current favorite is to hold to plates together with one hand. Squeeze them and walk around. 10# plates are a good starting point, really makes you feel it. 

I've done this before as well.  Works like a charm.  Make sure you're gripping the plates with your fingers, and on the smoothest part of the plate.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I saw one of my lecturers in the gym today, that didn't feel right. I think he's new to the gym seeing as he looked a little lost but I could be wrong. Saw him do some weird overhead press movement with light dumbbells then went to the leg curl machine, not sure what he did after that because I finished my warm up.

My one friend says that she can usually smell the crazy on someone, so maybe the ladies don't smell that eau du 'psyopathic nutbag' on you and that's what attracts them?

That comment put me in mind of this:

Sorry for the late response...been sealing a bath and down the gym!

• Like 2

Oh yeah...and I saw this the other day...

There's a regular guy at the gym who's usually squats in the power rack but it was in use so he decided to do some dumbbell squats...

Started with some 10kg on each side and was pretty easy, as he usually squats about 70-80kg with the barbell a could of 22.5kg dumbbells should be a breeze...which they were on the way down, till he reached the bottom and then lost his balance and slowly slowly slowly fell over backwards...in front of all the meatheads in the gym.

I, I mean he then moved onto goblet squats with a 40kg weight and a red face

• Like 2

Oh yeah...and I saw this the other day...

There's a regular guy at the gym who's usually squats in the power rack but it was in use so he decided to do some dumbbell squats...

Started with some 10kg on each side and was pretty easy, as he usually squats about 70-80kg with the barbell a could of 22.5kg dumbbells should be a breeze...which they were on the way down, till he reached the bottom and then lost his balance and slowly slowly slowly fell over backwards...in front of all the meatheads in the gym.

I, I mean he then moved onto goblet squats with a 40kg weight and a red face

When I was still squating, I did something like that once.  I was warming up at 135, lost my balance and had to bail.  Lucky, I was only an inch above the safeties, so the bar just softy landed on them as a I rolled onto my back.  

I did do a scan of the gym to see who saw me.  Then curled the weight back up so I could squat heavier.  

• Like 1

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr