Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

Seen today; that fat bloke actually bursting his powerlifting belt.

Oh wait, that was me.  Explosive deadlift day, and I just gut-burst the prong clear through the leather. 

New belt excuse!

this deserves more recognition

Anyway, there's a barbell and bumper plate section for people to do Olypmic lifts, Crossfit, wherever, and the treadmills and cardio machines are nearby. These two guys come in to do ultra heavy 1-rep deadlifts, and drop the bar after locking out at the top. This lady was over on the elliptical, going slow and watching tv. The first time one of the guys dropped the bar, she looked over and yelled "Hey, don't do that, it's distracting." And this is in the back room where tire flips, sledgehammers, and so on are encouraged, so there's definitely noise.

Luckily the two guys just told her "Um, yeah, the gym owner's cool with it, so we're going to keep at it." And went on with their deadlifts. It was awesome.

yeah i'd be annoyed tbh, it's not that hard to lower the weight, makes you strongerer too :D

I took a drive to a gym to check it out and see if it was worth the time it takes to get out there.

While looking around I asked about Olympic bars and squat racks.  The employee (I won't call him a trainer) says "We have that machine over there for squats (pointing at a smith machine)".

Me-"Doesn't that use unnatural movement that can mess with the knee and back?"

Employee-"Maybe for some giant bodybuilder or powerlifter but it's fine for guys like us"

level 4 Gnoll warrior
STR 6|DEX 5|STA 4|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 2

Building a better Raev, part 1.

Goal: working set of 350# squat, 235# bench, 370# deadlift, 15% or lower BF%

Fix slight pelvic tilt, reinforce lower back to help disc issue

So in the globo gym in the evening.  Group of young bro's (early 20's, maybe late teens) were in the big open area with a bunch of the big blowup exercise balls.

Exercise 1)  Assume a plank position with your legs/ankles on a ball.  Walk your self around in a circle with your hands.  That kind of makes sense.  You have to hold a plank while balancing on the ball and one hand.

Exercise 2) Assume a plank position with your groin over the ball (so your legs are hanging off one side).  Now do a fast pushup so your feet fly up in the air (while keeping your body straight).  I get it that it is good plank work.  Not sure how good it would feel on the groin area.  And it looks hilarious.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Yeah, sounds like an advanced sort of superman with dynamic motion you have to stabilize against. I can buy those ones.

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive length and autocorrects (yes, I'm blaming it on the phone).

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Saw something a couple weeks ago and forgot to say it so I'm posting it now.

I was in the squat rack doing snatch grip push press, push press, and squats.  In between sets I can't help but notice this guy "training" what I assume his lady friend at the smith machine next to me. She is lying on her back on the bench, facing the wrong way, with her hips under the bar...  and the bar is racked waaaaaay high. She is then coached to put her feet on the bar (centered in the arches about) and then do almost like an inverted squat - or a bench press with your legs.  Hips at a 90* angle, guy holding the bar so her feet don't slip off.  Did several sets of this, slowly upping the weight.

Granted I'm new to the weight world, but that just didn't seem like the best way to be doing squats - or bench press - in my book...

-RescuedRuckus

Don't Give Up the Ship

You know- I've seen that.  I actually posted about it once in here too.

I was talking to one of my trainer friends- he said it's an excellent way to hit part of the glutes.

I personally don't think I could do it- it looks SO weird.  But- hey if it hits their butt the way they like it > have at it.

Gotta love old school.

Wilbur+Miller+Unsupported+Leg+Press.jpg

• Like 2

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Guest Dirty Deads

Huh,  so I learned something new today!  That's cool, but yeah it still looks kinda stupid in a smith machine

Probably because of the smith machine itself. Hard to not look stupid with that thing.

If you say so.

LOL

I think it's still a stupid looking exercise (that being said- I've done some RIDICULOUS looking exercises with no shame so that's not the issue)

I'm just merely pointing out- it's still stupid looking LOL_ although expert level mode is clearly ON when one is balancing a bar with mad loaded weights on it above their head LOL