Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

Oh man. I lol'd.

Congrats on starting deadlifts! You'll be addicted in no time. :)

Thanks! I was a bit sore in my ankles that night, but they get sore when I stand for too long so I think it was just the extra weight. Also, shin splints. Both were gone when I woke up though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goals 2012: Lose 22kg; run City to Surf in under three hours, no walking; finish New Rules of Lifting for Women; complete 3rd year of degree; get job or internship in an art gallery, museum or auction house.

"Let me have humility, an awareness of my own ignorance and fragility, and contempt for nothing but the insolence of those who condemn me." Petrarch

Blog. First challenge.

I'm pretty sure that guy at 1:48 was squatting in work boots...

Nothing wrong with that. I used mine until switching to vibrams. They are far better than the runners most people use.

This is my gift to you...

"I lift heavy things. Sometimes these things are people."

Nothing wrong with that. I used mine until switching to vibrams. They are far better than the runners most people use.

This is my gift to you...

And this is what you get for putting your weight on your toes instead of your heels.

• Like 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Zumba... Zumba... Zumba... Zumba... Zumba...

Perhaps it's not misguided, but I was wondering around the gym today after I dropped the toddler off at her dance class and everywhere I went people were talking about Zumba. I have little idea what it is, but it sure seems to have gotten people excited.

I've come to conclusion that most people at the Y hire a trainer because they want someone to talk to. Today I overheard a trainer tell a new client, "When you hire me, you have a friend for life."

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Where I went to grad school, there was a woman who came into the gym first thing in the morning. I don't know if she was faculty or staff or what, but she was probably in her mid-40s to well-preserved early 50s. She had bleached-platinum hair, a thicker coat of makeup than I've ever seen on anyone who wasn't married to a televangelist, and her workout seemed to consist of wandering around patting the meatheads on the cheeks and cooing flirtatiously at them. I honestly don't remember ever seeing her do anything else. Maybe she didn't want to get a run; she always wore a black leotard and black tights.

The rest of us wore shorts, ratty t-shirts, rattier ponytails, and "What in the actual **** is that woman doing?" expressions.

[table=width: 600]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 3 Elf Warrior

STR 9.5|DEX 6|STA 9|CON 7|WIS 8.5|CHA 2

Challenge thread

Twitter

"There is never an absolute answer to everything, except of course that you have to do your squats." - Mark Rippetoe

[/table]

Where I went to grad school, there was a woman who came into the gym first thing in the morning. I don't know if she was faculty or staff or what, but she was probably in her mid-40s to well-preserved early 50s. She had bleached-platinum hair, a thicker coat of makeup than I've ever seen on anyone who wasn't married to a televangelist, and her workout seemed to consist of wandering around patting the meatheads on the cheeks and cooing flirtatiously at them. I honestly don't remember ever seeing her do anything else. Maybe she didn't want to get a run; she always wore a black leotard and black tights.

The rest of us wore shorts, ratty t-shirts, rattier ponytails, and "What in the actual **** is that woman doing?" expressions.

I loled

Well I guess it's only life, it's only natural We all spend a little while going down the rabbit hole

Trolling for a new future ex-husband, maybe?

• Like 1

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

some girl talking about her friend who goes to an Exclusively Women's (chain of women-only gyms): "They don't have as heavy weights there as here [university gym], but that's ok because girls don't lift as much weight as guys."

Well, I'll never lift as much as "guys" do. When I get up to a 2.5xBW deadlift I'll break 300 pounds, but not by that much. :)

• Like 1
I've come to conclusion that most people at the Y hire a trainer because they want someone to talk to. Today I overheard a trainer tell a new client, "When you hire me, you have a friend for life."

I actually did just hire a trainer for a few weeks because I don't have a gym buddy and could use some help (much harder to find a gym buddy when you're a geeky female I think). If I'm paying that much, they're going to listen to me babble about my dogs, the weather, the nature of the universe... unless they're doing their job and working me hard enough so I can't talk like always :)

• Like 2
there are tons of hidden barbell cams in the tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu4POqS0JHc

What the hell is that woman doing at 0:24???

That video was so full of fail. I mean I am by no means an expert on lifting, but I am not going to try to lift those heavy weights without having the form down. I am surprised some of those people did not have severe damage from some of those lifts.

Dwarf Ranger STR 3 // DEX 2 // STA 2 // CON 4 // WIS 2 // CHA 2"It's Simple, so says the Captain;Face Forward,Move Slow,Forge Ahead.Onward! Onward! Onward!"

I have a couple from the gym in my apartment building. One time this older woman, must have been at least 65, comes in and is trying to use one of the exercise bikes. She clearly has no idea how it works, so I go over, help her adjust the seat. She is doing about 5 RPMs, so I tell her that she has to keep pedaling to make it stay on. She just didn't seem like she could do it and then left after a few minutes. I did feel kind of bad for her.

There also used to be a guy who would hold himself up with his arms the entire time he was on the treadmill. Weird.

The latest is this guy who has jury-rigged a pull-up bar since the gym doesn't have one. He wrapped some straps around the ends of a 12lb soft bar hooking them to the top of one of the cord-pull machines. I am just waiting for the disaster when one of the straps fails.

Yes! There was someone at my school gym who had the WORST running form I'd ever seen...he was like HANGING on the arms of the treadmill...shoulders and head down...like he was a bull trying to plow through something. And I think he was wearing jeans. I had to give him some pointers....I haven't seen him again to see if he's improved but DEAR GOD.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

There was a guy at one of the gyms who would turn the ramp on the treadmill all the way up, then hang on to the bar so his body was perpendicular to the surface of the treadmill. Guess he never took (or flunked) physics...

This weekend I saw a guy doing power curtsies with 165# I think, full weight belt, knees almost touching each other and 10# plates under each _heel_ ?? Not quite sure what that was about.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

There was a guy at one of the gyms who would turn the ramp on the treadmill all the way up, then hang on to the bar so his body was perpendicular to the surface of the treadmill. Guess he never took (or flunked) physics...

I'm trying to kick the treadmill habit and one of the things that drives me crazy is watching people turn the speed or the incline way up - and then hang on for dear life, letting their arms compensate. Even better is when they have the machine programmed to calculate some inflated number of calories burned, which they're undermining by hanging on. What's the point?!

I'm trying to kick the treadmill habit and one of the things that drives me crazy is watching people turn the speed or the incline way up - and then hang on for dear life, letting their arms compensate. Even better is when they have the machine programmed to calculate some inflated number of calories burned, which they're undermining by hanging on. What's the point?!

I can't stand running on the treadmill because I hate the sensation of being pulled along - even when you don't have your hands on the bars. I've never gotten used to it.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

Some of these treadmill videos make me weep for the human race. And especially the parents who let their kids play on treadmills! Treadmills iz serious bizness - not to bring the thread down or anything but there's some serious Darwin in action there. Treadmills are like the Terminator - they want to kill you, and they won't stop!

• Like 1