Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

Creepy.....

Subjective.

So alright. Other day, had just loaded up my bar for overhead press.

Guy at an adjacent rack quickly comes up.

Dude: Hey, excuse me, do you mind if I squat your bar real quick?

Me: Sure

Dude: Is that tight?

Me: Yep

Dude: Really?

Dude: Just one set

Me: That's fine

*Dude proceeds to do 3 squats with my bar*

Dude: K, tight, thanks

*Dude goes back to his rack, continues his workout*

Me:  :blink:

Well, at least he had the gall to approach and interact with you. I watched this girl for a full year and a half in the gym without saying a word until she eventually talked to me. Which brings us back to the previous statement:

Creepy.....

For my own contribution, I dropped a nice big greedy dumbbell right on my stupid face the other day.  New exercise, overestimated my strength quite badly.  

Earlier I bashed my face into the pullup bar and left bite marks on my lower lip. I'm waiting for someone who saw me at the gym to put that in here - "some idiot doing pullups too fast."

So today I was in the gym and wondered how heavy the barbell bar thing (what's that called? Is that the barbell itself?) actually is. So I went to ask one of the ladies working there. The answer? "Ow, I don't know but they're pretty heavy! It's really more of a guy thing maybe you want to try some of the cardio machines?"

WTF!? I said, no, I'll stick to the weights thank you, and if you think the bars are very heavy maybe you need to use the weights as well. (at least, that's what I said in my head, in reality I said. 'ow, thanks')

LEVEL 3 Human Scout - obsessive smiley user 

"That's the best part, the outside is new, but now it reflects what's already in you" - Legally blonde the musical

So today I was in the gym and wondered how heavy the barbell bar thing (what's that called? Is that the barbell itself?) actually is. So I went to ask one of the ladies working there. The answer? "Ow, I don't know but they're pretty heavy! It's really more of a guy thing maybe you want to try some of the cardio machines?"

WTF!? I said, no, I'll stick to the weights thank you, and if you think the bars are very heavy maybe you need to use the weights as well. (at least, that's what I said in my head, in reality I said. 'ow, thanks')

Some bars have it stamped in the end.

sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Last summer at the gym, I was on a treadmill and this lady comes up and starts walking on the treadmill beside me; after she finishes she grabbed the small towel that was sitting beside the cup holder of the treadmill, bleach bottle labeled bleach was sitting in the holder., and used it to dry sweat off of herself........ >.> 

I didn't realize it till she had already done it and put the towel back, and not take it with her...

Seen today: you can't do a European Clean without a power belly.  We were discussing WSM and the Axle Press, which starts with a sort of alternate-grip clean to the belly, lean back, flip grip and rack then press (axles are thick and don't rotate).  When we put theory to practice, it turns out that flat-stomached athletes have real trouble.  Sliding down their chests like greased greasy things.

Score one for Santa.  :)

not an overheard at the gym but i've been reading the 'Starting Strength' forums version of this thread (13914 posts and counting!) and these were posted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqZGpLeWanI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0wP4fj_K-k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2CPecnyd4I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ffvZnbsSv8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FflPljFj57I

CAN NO-ONE CLEAN PROPERLY??????????

Hahaha. Tutorials. Nice. Please refrain from ever giving advice, you bastards.

But I guess bad, inefficient form uses more muscles and gives you more of a workout.

Not a gym per se, but my little brother (14) came to stay with me for a few days over the holidays and we were comparing his normal school gym workout with mine. I should have caught on to how terrible his form would be when he said the coach would make them go low enough to almost touch their butts to the ground when doing squats. When he showed, he was so far on his toes, I could call him a ballerina. So sad to see a coach teaching still developing kids such terrible form.

Starting weight: 195    Now weight: 160

A past will chase you if you try to escape from it, but once you confront it, it's just an old memory inside you.

Happy New Year!  I have a feeling this thread is about to take off over the next few week ;)

Case in point-I go to the squat rack and there's this guy with the bar on the safety, so I think "oh great-curling in the squat rack" but then he proceeds to pick it up and do an almost straight-leg deadlift/almost regular deadlift thing where the bar never touches the floor (but his knees bend and he gets soooo close to the floor).  I am intrigued.  When his set ends, I ask him how many he has left and he offers to come tell me when he's finished (he seems like a newbie because our gym isn't that big and he didn't know where the boxing stuff was where I said I'd be warming up).  Out of curiosity, I had to ask him what excersise he's doing as it looked like a deadlift, but just very....different from the ones I do.  He answers "Oh-it is a deadlift!  I just put the bar up on the safety as it's easier to load the plates that way!".  Can't fault his logic there, so I'm just like "cool story bro!" and go to warm up some more.  I hate correcting people unless they ask and he seemed pretty happy with the workout, so go dude go!

Later on I also had deadlifts to do and he came back by to use the calf machine and was like "Wow-you're deadlifts are different!  And you've got such great form too!  I need to work on my form some more."

Me:  "Yeah it took me tons of practice with light weights to get it right."

Him:  "Where did you learn it though?  Did you get a personal trainer?"

Me:  "Nope, I just used YouTube."

OK I did later clarify that I've read Starting Strength and NF forums and the videos I watched weren't totally random people on the internet, so hopefully he realizes that YouTube is not a substitue for proper instruction, but yeah-I hope no one else heard that conversation!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gallifreyan Jackal Ranger

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | STA: 3 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Introduction

CURRENT CHALLENGE!
(seriously updated, for reals guys)