Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

Not overheard at the gym, but I told my wife's bff's fiancé (if you can follow that somewhat elaborate description of the relationship) that I was doing a bodyweight workout to get stronger and fitter before I bothered getting a gym membership. His response: "you're going to need more than bodyweight to get stronger"

Tsk tsk. It's always disappointing when people forget that it's just physics, and work is work...

• Like 1

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

Current challenge: Juni0r83 works on his Schedule-Fu

Previous challenge: Juni0r83 re-evaluates and refocuses

So, I had this happen at the gym on Friday...

I walk over to where I squat at in the gym.  Just before I reach it, a pretty ripped fella gets there and starts loading it up.  He does some curls, goes to switch off to something else and sees me standing back a little patently waiting.

Him- "Oh, are you doing legs?"

Me (being polite)- "Take your time, I'm new at this and still learning and working my way up.  I'll do my squats when you are done"

Him - "I'll move elsewhere then.  I'm mostly done and just doing BS vanity curlbro stuff, a new lifter squatting is much more important!"

He then proceeds to return the bar to the rack and unload it, right before wishing me luck and congratulating me on learning to lift.

I gotta admit, it was a pretty cool encounter.

• Like 12

level 4 Gnoll warrior
STR 6|DEX 5|STA 4|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 2

Building a better Raev, part 1.

Goal: working set of 350# squat, 235# bench, 370# deadlift, 15% or lower BF%

Fix slight pelvic tilt, reinforce lower back to help disc issue

So, I had this happen at the gym on Friday...

I walk over to where I squat at in the gym.  Just before I reach it, a pretty ripped fella gets there and starts loading it up.  He does some curls, goes to switch off to something else and sees me standing back a little patently waiting.

Him- "Oh, are you doing legs?"

Me (being polite)- "Take your time, I'm new at this and still learning and working my way up.  I'll do my squats when you are done"

Him - "I'll move elsewhere then.  I'm mostly done and just doing BS vanity curlbro stuff, a new lifter squatting is much more important!"

He then proceeds to return the bar to the rack and unload it, right before wishing me luck and congratulating me on learning to lift.

I gotta admit, it was a pretty cool encounter.

I hoped you high fived him. That's great :)

• Like 1

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

^ Indeed. I mean it's not as bad as this.

It's hard for me to be at a loss for words when something strikes me as worthy of responding to.

You... have succeeded... that was... wow....

*walks away shaking his head*

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

^ Indeed. I mean it's not as bad as this.

"Protein has a lot of fat in it." Wow. I'm hoping he means protein as a part of a meal and not protein the macro nutrient, that's the only way he's making any kind of sense. Something like "Food with a lot of protein often also has a lot of fat."

LEVEL 3 Human Scout - obsessive smiley user 

"That's the best part, the outside is new, but now it reflects what's already in you" - Legally blonde the musical

I've once seen a fox broadcast about how dutch seniors wear bracelets that say "don't let me die!". I'm Dutch and hadn't ever heard of this before the broadcast.

I do know some people wear bracelets/necklaces saying "no cpr please" but thats 100% different :)

LEVEL 3 Human Scout - obsessive smiley user 

"That's the best part, the outside is new, but now it reflects what's already in you" - Legally blonde the musical

From the same guy who told me

Bodyweight wasn't enough to gain any strength: "if you want to do pull ups you really need to develop this area" *indicates to his triceps*

And this guy has a trainer. I really do wonder sometimes what they discuss about actual training...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

Bodyweight wasn't enough to gain any strength: "if you want to do pull ups you really need to develop this area" *indicates to his triceps*

And this guy has a trainer. I really do wonder sometimes what they discuss about actual training...

I honest to god thought I misread that as traps. I think my brain autocorrected the idiocy to something that made a tiny bit of sense. 

"I like you just the way you are" - Mr. Rogers

In Br0din's name we gain.

Is there any chance he meant to say pushups? At least then he'd be sort of right.

If your can't fix it with bacon, you're probably going to die.

Obligatory Twitter link.

Is there any chance he meant to say pushups? At least then he'd be sort of right.

Unfortunately not, I was telling him that my goal for the next 6 weeks was to do an unassisted pull-up, that's when we said to work on my triceps.

Dwarf Warrior

Bro i was watching you do press ups and if you want to do more just dont go do so far =O He then proceeded to show me that he can crank out 100 and no joke he was moving his torso about an inch up and down, He was doing it so fast i wasnt sure wether he was having a seizure or doing "push ups".

If your chest aint less than an inch from the floor i aint counting it lol.

• Like 1

Overheard at the YMCA that I lift at while I was teaching a client to lift. This came from a super muscular older guy who lifts heavy with bad form

" stupidest thing they ever did was get rid of the smith machine. I mean we have two squat racks now, what the fuck do you need two squat racks for?"

Guy he was talking to " yeah that's pretty stupid of them."

Wanted to smack them both of them to knock the muscle head out of them but I have to be professional with the kiddos.

• Like 1

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

Overheard at the YMCA that I lift at while I was teaching a client to lift. This came from a super muscular older guy who lifts heavy with bad form

" stupidest thing they ever did was get rid of the smith machine. I mean we have two squat racks now, what the fuck do you need two squat racks for?"

Wanted to smack them both of them to knock the muscle head out of them but I have to be professional with the kiddos.

I'm about to start paying twice what I pay at Planet Fitness so I can go to a gym with squat racks and do deadlifts.

Obligatory Twitter link.

More curl stations?

Dwarf Warrior

I'm about to start paying twice what I pay at Planet Fitness so I can go to a gym with squat racks and do deadlifts.

Wait-so is this true?

http://elitedaily.com/sports/planet-fitness-cuts-squat-racks-facilities-quest-become-worst-gym/

I thought it was just like a really early April Fools?  Do they legit give out free pizza and bagels?!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gallifreyan Jackal Ranger

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | STA: 3 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Introduction

CURRENT CHALLENGE!
(seriously updated, for reals guys)

Wait-so is this true?

http://elitedaily.com/sports/planet-fitness-cuts-squat-racks-facilities-quest-become-worst-gym/

I thought it was just like a really early April Fools?  Do they legit give out free pizza and bagels?!

No, that's totally true.

The pizza and bagels are a good business move, really. Keep your clients happy and keep them fat so that they keep coming back.

I actually don't go there nearly enough to justify the 20 bucks a month. I just run outdoors and do most of my strength training at home with body weight and kettle bells.

Just want to get a bit more fitness in then I'll shell out the 40-50 a month for a real gym.

Obligatory Twitter link.

I'd just do a feed, though.

Seen today: the impressive sight of everything in the new huge weightroom rammed full of people.  We were at our *fire limit*, and the staff were turning people away. Two and three to a station and improvised stations in every space, as well as all the racks and platforms.  The resolve is strong with these 'uns.

Still nobody on the glute-ham raise.  ;)