Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

Had a great workout at the gym last night. Someone approached me while I was doing squats if I do anything else besides squats because that's all they see me do and according to them, I kill it every time. Dawwwwww, thank you stranger.

posted from my awesome G2 using Tapatalk... probably goofing off at work or on the throne.

Momoxstarx the N00bcake Extraordinaire

lvl 2 Mithra Warrior

[STR 3|DEX 2|STA 5|CON 2|WIS 2|CHA 1]

"Hold onto your knickers..."

Tumblr - Instagram - YouTube

Not a funny video but demonstrates what can happen if not careful. Poor guy, I hope he will manage to rehablitate himself.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2540945/Kevin-Ogar-injury-CrossFit-athlete-left-paralyzed-waist-having-spine-severed-dumbbell.html

I had to watch this several times and I didn't get what happened. Read the article and realized he dropped the bar on his neck. Ouch. Although they consistently call the barbell a dumbbell which was quite aggravating. I don't know if he will be able to rehab that though. He's paralyzed.

"I like you just the way you are" - Mr. Rogers

In Br0din's name we gain.

Wait-so is this true?

http://elitedaily.com/sports/planet-fitness-cuts-squat-racks-facilities-quest-become-worst-gym/

I thought it was just like a really early April Fools?  Do they legit give out free pizza and bagels?!

My understanding is that the equipment within Planet Fitness is on some level, dictated to the individual franchises by the national Planet Fitness company.  Or at least that's the basic summary of what they told my girlfriend when she inquired about whether they would/could get any additional equipment that they didn't currently have.  ("Yes, we're allowed to have 245668 treadmills.  No, we're not allowed to have a single erg/rowing machine")

From what I can tell, Planet Fitness' main selling point is that they have super-cheap promotional memberships.  Of course, with my employer picking up most of the cost of my gym membership, I'm pretty much free to choose my gym based on quality of facilities/equipment, which is awesome.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

Not heard but seen, I was doing legs today and needed the leg extension machine for my last few sets. I put my book on the seat and went to get a drink. I get back to find some chick has taken my machine and spends 20minutes sitting on her ass reading a book an occasionally lifting 30lbs 3 times. I asked if I could work in between er sets, and she scoffed at me and said "I using it right now. You will have to wait." I hate people some times

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

Not heard but seen, I was doing legs today and needed the leg extension machine for my last few sets. I put my book on the seat and went to get a drink. I get back to find some chick has taken my machine and spends 20minutes sitting on her ass reading a book an occasionally lifting 30lbs 3 times. I asked if I could work in between er sets, and she scoffed at me and said "I using it right now. You will have to wait." I hate people some times

There are so many things wrong with this. My head hurts. Bottom line is she had no right to the machine and you should have gotten a manager. Or at least put her in her place.

"I like you just the way you are" - Mr. Rogers

In Br0din's name we gain.

There are so many things wrong with this. My head hurts. Bottom line is she had no right to the machine and you should have gotten a manager. Or at least put her in her place.

Oh I wanted to, but the sup on duty at the gym was the hippie that told me that medicine ball slams would crack the CEMENT floor and the STEEL W-Flange Beams underneath so I wasn't allowed to do them. Friggin midcoast maine hippie YMCA. I swear sometimes. But today is a new day and I get to go crush my workout soon. On the plus side of that one, I was so freakin pissed with that woman that I was able to complete my entire dropset and then some so ya know....silver lining

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

I had to watch this several times and I didn't get what happened. Read the article and realized he dropped the bar on his neck. Ouch. Although they consistently call the barbell a dumbbell which was quite aggravating. I don't know if he will be able to rehab that though. He's paralyzed.

Actually he bailed correctly, what happened (and you can see it in the video) is that the bar landed on those stacks of plates behind him and bounced back to hit him in the back as he fell. A tragedy for sure, but completely avoidable if his platform had been clean. Whe you lift you must always be aware of what is around you on all sides.  

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Oh I wanted to, but the sup on duty at the gym was the hippie that told me that medicine ball slams would crack the CEMENT floor and the STEEL W-Flange Beams underneath so I wasn't allowed to do them. Friggin midcoast maine hippie YMCA. I swear sometimes. But today is a new day and I get to go crush my workout soon. On the plus side of that one, I was so freakin pissed with that woman that I was able to complete my entire dropset and then some so ya know....silver lining

I would not have been so kind to either...I would have pushed her off the machine or taken the book away and the dude I would have plain told to kiss my A$$

Circling back to the topic at hand

On our regular Friday-nite Gym-date, D'Wife asked if I could be a dear and put back her little 2lb dumbells that she'd been walking on the Treadmill with

So, with as much testosterone as a little old Runner could muster up, I strolled over to the free-weights area and boldy asked "Where do these baby girl weights go?"

I would have made you hold my purse for that.

Sent from an alternate universe using Alien tech.

----

Don't Chew what you should Eschew!

My bf tagged along with me on my last work out at the gym.. can call it a date but he was there to learn some lifts and get comfortable being in the free weight section of the gym. As it were partly a date, I acted the part by being overly silly between my sets. This was at 1am.

posted from my awesome G2 using Tapatalk... probably goofing off at work or on the throne.

Momoxstarx the N00bcake Extraordinaire

lvl 2 Mithra Warrior

[STR 3|DEX 2|STA 5|CON 2|WIS 2|CHA 1]

"Hold onto your knickers..."

Tumblr - Instagram - YouTube

Actually he bailed correctly, what happened (and you can see it in the video) is that the bar landed on those stacks of plates behind him and bounced back to hit him in the back as he fell. A tragedy for sure, but completely avoidable if his platform had been clean. Whe you lift you must always be aware of what is around you on all sides.

I don't think the bar hits him lee enough to have caused the injury.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

I've seen several analyses like this one..  http://physiodetective.com/2014/01/16/kevin-ogar-snatch-incident-a-freak-accident-not-crossfit-related/  which agreed with my general impressions.  

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker