Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

wouldn't dream of it, i was only on about the trainers who think triceps have a key role in pull ups

werd.

They are definintely out there. I facepalmed on the mat while I was rolling the other day- the guy was trying to say doing bridge lifts was helpful for the quad... he never said hammy ONCE.  (We are talking Single Leg bridge lift here as well so there is absolutely no question this should have been said)

I wanted to punch him in the face.

I've seen several analyses like this one..  http://physiodetective.com/2014/01/16/kevin-ogar-snatch-incident-a-freak-accident-not-crossfit-related/  which agreed with my general impressions.  

This actually makes complete sense. At first I thought it was strange that he didn't bail in the slightest and the bar just went straight down. Combine that with not even a hand slip and it's very strange for an experienced lifter. The preexisting condition that was aggravated fits why there was no bail.

"I like you just the way you are" - Mr. Rogers

In Br0din's name we gain.

wouldn't dream of it, i was only on about the trainers who think triceps have a key role in pull ups

Well technically....

If you are trying to pull high and get behind the bar, it requires really locking your arms at an angle during the pull, isometrically flexing both the bicep and the tricep. Since flexing the bicep is more or less a natural reaction when doing pullups, the conscious part is the tricep flex, which feels like you are trying to push the bar away.

...probably not what the trainer in question was referring to though.

• Like 1

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Some guy at the gym today put his bottle of red liquid down on the seat for the lat pulldown. He was using the smith machine. When I asked him if he was using the lat pulldown, he definitely acted like I was interrupting which I wasn't because he was putting weight onto the bar. I didn't interrupt mid-set or mid-rep, so what's the problem? Is your bottle too good for the floor? Smh.

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

Some guy at the gym today put his bottle of red liquid down on the seat for the lat pulldown. He was using the smith machine. When I asked him if he was using the lat pulldown, he definitely acted like I was interrupting which I wasn't because he was putting weight onto the bar. I didn't interrupt mid-set or mid-rep, so what's the problem? Is your bottle too good for the floor? Smh.

Grrrrrr.  Few things get me madder than inconsiderate people.  Don't put your smurf on something you're not using! :rolleyes-new:

Tomu-san - Level 3 HalfOgre Ranger

[ STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 8 | WIS 6 | CHA 2 ]

Spoiler

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

"I came here to drink milk and kick ass. And I've just finished my milk."

- Maurice Moss

I'm not sure what she was doing, but I saw a girl today on the squat press.  Except she wasn't sitting in the chair, she was suspended face down over it, pushing herself up her arms on the chair's back.  She didn't fall or anything, but I couldn't help thinking that whatever she was trying to accomplish would have been a lot safer on the ground with free weights.

Level 20 Ranger Monk 

Str- 18, Dex-12, Sta-10, Con-23, Wis-88, Cha-47

"Not all who wander are lost."

"We Shall Not Practice Fear"

Current Battlelog

some of these are nasty but some'll make your blood boil, 'Fat people Stories'

MY GOD!!!!! That's disgusting. I... they....it's.... Arrrrgh! Where's my shotgun? 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

brad-pitt-tom-cruise-interview-with-the-

You shouldn't have interrupted him. He was probably training to fight Jacob, or something.

Saw this earlier today. Haha.

#5: Gym mirrors are stupid anyway.

Just want to get a bit more fitness in then I'll shell out the 40-50 a month for a real gym.

$40-50 a month?!?  Where are you?  I found an MMA gym around me (St Louis) with a free weight section bigger than their machine area for $10 a month.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Lucky you...

Every gym in my town (good or bad) charges about $50 a month, but only if you pay for an entire year at a time. Otherwise it's more... But those are AUD, so there is a conversion thing to consider as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

Current challenge: Juni0r83 works on his Schedule-Fu

Previous challenge: Juni0r83 re-evaluates and refocuses

Every gym in my town (good or bad) charges about $50 a month, but only if you pay for an entire year at a time. Otherwise it's more... But those are AUD, so there is a conversion thing to consider as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eeeeeeek!!!!!!!!!!  I will never complain about my gym ever again.  It's £18 a month for the use of all facilities (pool, sauna, squash, gym, and tons of exercise classes) and has a pretty decent free weights section.  All I have to do is pluck up the courage to go in there :o

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Different people have different goals. Body builders just care about aesthetics not functional strength. If that's what they want more power to em.

It's a fallacy though that bodybuilders aren't strong. They are far beyond the strength of the average individual. 

The greatest thing about the rebellion I think is that we accept all kinds. If you want to look good, awesome. If you want to be strong, that's awesome too. We do this through rejecting ideas that are fed to the masses yes but only because those ideas are false. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to look good.

• Like 1

"I like you just the way you are" - Mr. Rogers

In Br0din's name we gain.