Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

2) Deadlift guy.  I actually had to change my workout because of this, but I don't mind.  It gave me fun questions to ask.  This guy started out doing normal deadlifts.  Then he did them with his feet touching the rack (about 6 feet apart) and his hands hanging straight down to grab the bar.   THEN he does them with shoulder width feet, but grabs the weights at the ends of the bar to lift it!  I didn't even know what to think.  But he was lifting more than I can, so I didn't worry about it much.  

First one is sumo deadlift, second one sounds like snatch grip deadlift.

• Like 1

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

yep. And they work different chunks of muscle

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

I had to google both.  lol.  The Sumo Deadlift is exactly it, but the Snatch Grip DL really isn't.  This guy was literally grabbing the weights.  Not the bar.  The weights on the end of the bar.   I suppose the effect is similar, it just looks kinda funky. 

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I had to google both.  lol.  The Sumo Deadlift is exactly it, but the Snatch Grip DL really isn't.  This guy was literally grabbing the weights.  Not the bar.  The weights on the end of the bar.   I suppose the effect is similar, it just looks kinda funky. 

Curious. Your wording had me wondering, hence why I put the "sounds like" in there. I've never seen that one.

• Like 1

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

I know nothing about Planet Fitness beyond that list, but let's see... $10-$15/month, free pizza once a week... so that's basically a gym membership and a large pizza for the price of a large pizza. I'd sign up for that in a heartbeat.

Don't look at it as a gym that inexplicably offers pizza.  Look at it as a pizza place with free exercise equipment.  If you're going to eat pizza anyway (and I am), you might as well get access to a squat rack, right?

• Like 8

I know nothing about Planet Fitness beyond that list, but let's see... $10-$15/month, free pizza once a week... so that's basically a gym membership and a large pizza for the price of a large pizza. I'd sign up for that in a heartbeat.

Don't look at it as a gym that inexplicably offers pizza.  Look at it as a pizza place with free exercise equipment.  If you're going to eat pizza anyway (and I am), you might as well get access to a squat rack, right?

Except the ones near me don't have squat racks.

• Like 1

level 4 Gnoll warrior
STR 6|DEX 5|STA 4|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 2

Building a better Raev, part 1.

Goal: working set of 350# squat, 235# bench, 370# deadlift, 15% or lower BF%

Fix slight pelvic tilt, reinforce lower back to help disc issue

I've recently been reading a lot about this place and they're absolutely ridiculous. They have a loud ass siren (the lunk alarm) that they set off if you grunt too loud, drop weights, or lift too heavy. They claim to be judgment free, but poke fun at people who are serious about fitness. They asked a woman to cover up her arms because they were too toned and intimidating to the other clients. Such a joke...

• Like 1

Level 2. Saiyan Warrior - Training with the Adventurers

STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 4 | WIS: 1 | CHA: 1

Powering Up Phase 1 - Shedding the Fat

Starting Weight: 250lbs | Current Weight: 215lbs | Goal Weight: 200lbs

WTF???? Ok, that's just f*#ked up. We don't have Planet Fitness over here (that I know of) so I've never heard of any of those things. Free pizza? Really? Damn!

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Hmmm, no dead lifting......ever.........

Bear in mind, a lot of these rules vary depending on the location. Since they are franchised, some will have different equipment and will enforce rules to different degrees. I've been stuck at Planet Fitness for several months now due to not having any money, and it really hasn't been all that bad. The PF near me has a TON of 'lunks', and don't care about most of the crap the commercials mention, but their equipment sucks (if you want to deadlift, you're either maxing at 60 pounds, or doing it in a smith machine).

On the other hand, there is a PF in Ocala, Florida that is like paradise for someone looking for a cheap gym. They've got several freeweight benches and a handful of olympic bars lying around. I popped in there while visiting my mother in law a few months ago, and they pretty much let me do whatever I wanted (deadlifts, cleans), so long as I wasn't infringing on anyone else's ability to use equipment.

As for the free pizza and bagels, I've never understood it based on their target clientele, but I'm not complaining about it either

They told me I could be anything when I grow up, so I became a superhero.

Handbook for Applied Superheroics:

Ch 1 | Ch 2 | Ch 3 | Ch 4

Speaking of Planet Fitness... Overheard the greatest conversation last night while these guys were working biceps:

"Come on man, the leg press just opened up"

"What? Why do you want to do that? Girls don't want to have sex with your legs. Besides, if my quads get too big, it will make my dick look small"

This coming from the same pot-bellied guy who in the past has told me not to worry about training abs, because I can just keep my shirt on when having sex.

• Like 7

I figure it's a business move. Feed people the calories they burn and they negate their gym visit and keep coming back. You wouldn't want them to get fit and consider another gym/no gym, would you!

warrior : level 8

str: 20.75 | dex: 13.75 | sta: 11.75 | con: 9.75 | wis: 8.25 | cha: 4.75

''Difficult' and 'impossible' are cousins often mistaken for one another, with very little in common' - Locke Lamora

I was at a PF for awhile. This was back before I got into squats, deads, bench, et cetera. I mostly used it for working out a month or two before Caribbean vacations.

AT THE TIME it was awesome. $10/$20 membership, tanning for my girlfriend (lol I was born with a natural "tan") which was great cause it gave her a reason to go with, and open 24 hours.

The downside of the cheap membership and free guest pass was that EVERYBODY could afford it. I've seen upwards of 8-10 teens occupy a bench for my entire session. 1 would bench (poorly) while 4 watched and took pictures, the rest would be laughing and making jokes, texting and also posing for pictures.

There's no possible way I could go to one now though. I love the loud noise of plates hitting the floor, the cloud of chalk dust, majority of people there in proper workout attire, lifting belts all over the place, the grunt after hitting a PR, et cetera.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Speaking of Planet Fitness... Overheard the greatest conversation last night while these guys were working biceps:

"Come on man, the leg press just opened up"

"What? Why do you want to do that? Girls don't want to have sex with your legs. Besides, if my quads get too big, it will make my dick look small"

This coming from the same pot-bellied guy who in the past has told me not to worry about training abs, because I can just keep my shirt on when having sex.

Lol he makes some valid points. Though it sounds like he often tries to have sex with girls using his biceps. Somebody needs to give him a heads up...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

There's no possible way I could go to one now though. I love the loud noise of plates hitting the floor, the cloud of chalk dust, majority of people there in proper workout attire, lifting belts all over the place, the grunt after hitting a PR, et cetera.

I try to be respectful of their rules when I'm there, but I always take secret pleasure when I set off the alarm

• Like 8

No, your small dick will make your dick look small ;)

Also, here's another outrageous PF story.

• Like 4

Level 2. Saiyan Warrior - Training with the Adventurers

STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 4 | WIS: 1 | CHA: 1

Powering Up Phase 1 - Shedding the Fat

Starting Weight: 250lbs | Current Weight: 215lbs | Goal Weight: 200lbs