Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

There was a group of trainers (they worked there) taking turns at the squat rack. They were all probably squatting down to 45 degrees max. I didn't think anything of it at the time because I just started going to the gym. A different trainer (also an employee) came by to join and asked what kind of squats they were doing. The manager told him they were doing the standard 90 degrees squat......

Someone failed geometry.

• Like 4

I just started going to a gym (actually university rec center) regularly and have been surprised at the number of people who either talk to people via speaker phone on their cell phones or who walk around using their cells as their personal stereos without headphones. Is this common at all gyms?

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

I just started going to a gym (actually university rec center) regularly and have been surprised at the number of people who either talk to people via speaker phone on their cell phones or who walk around using their cells as their personal stereos without headphones. Is this common at all gyms?

Not at mine (in London). Playing music through phone speakers is the annoying thing teenagers do on the bus in London, no self respecting adult (which you would assume most are if they are at a gym) would do that in public.

• Like 2

Not at mine (in London). Playing music through phone speakers is the annoying thing teenagers do on the bus in London, no self respecting adult (which you would assume most are if they are at a gym) would do that in public.

I kind of thought the same thing but didn't know if I was out of touch. I'm kind of surprised there isn't a rule against it. There is an anti- tank top and sleeveless shirt rule though.

Good job on the weight loss, btw!

• Like 1

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

I kind of thought the same thing but didn't know if I was out of touch. I'm kind of surprised there isn't a rule against it. There is an anti- tank top and sleeveless shirt rule though.

Huh?!  o_O    No tank tops or sleeveless shirts, but you can blast music out of your phone?  I think they got their rules backwards there.  Should allow the first and not the second.  Oh well.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Ah they seem to have their priorities a bit mixed up.  But honestly, I hate working out in sleeved shirts as I overheat quickly.  Your uni gym would kick me out it seems

Well didn't so much overhear as saw something and just had to ask why :D (I did not interupt his training, he came over to ask to work in on the bench)

I'd never seen someone roll their shoulders back in a full circle at the top of a deadlift before, so I went and asked him why. He told me it's for explosiveness for the snatch. He also seems to move to the tips of his toes when squatting for pretty much the same reason. I'm still not sure that actually works, might also not be very good for his shoulders or safe with his squats. But he easily benched 100kg with good form so I figure he probably knows what he's doing.

Leg day.

232323.gif

Actually, once the wheels start spinning that's probably really easy.  They may be spinning really fast, but they're only getting a fraction of their total traction, which would make holding it in place simple.  

The hard part would be stopping.  Once the wheels slow down enough to regain traction, there's gonna be enough speed there to crush that guy.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Actually, once the wheels start spinning that's probably really easy.  They may be spinning really fast, but they're only getting a fraction of their total traction, which would make holding it in place simple.  

The hard part would be stopping.  Once the wheels slow down enough to regain traction, there's gonna be enough speed there to crush that guy.  

That is a really good point. Maybe he has already spun the tires completely bald. And maybe he's faking it with the handbrake. 

• Like 2

Level 2 Halfling Dreadnought 

2nd Challenge  1st Challenge

Bulking? We Endurance Athletes tend to go the other way

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=5268446

So you're saying no KFC, whole rotisserie chickens or Chipotle burrito bowls for you?? I knew there was a reason I couldn't do endurance sports lol
  • Like 1

I just can't eat that crap anymore; McDs/BK/Wendy's/KFC/etc. have so much sugar & fat that within half an hour of eating there, my tummy is gurgling & churlging trying to decide what to do with it all

Gimme a nice freshly made Wawa hoagie any day

Wawa! Ah I miss Wawa iced coffees and coffee "bar". However, I was never a fan of Wawa hoagies. I'll happily take Primo's any day over Wawa

Good job on the weight loss, btw!

But how will you know I lift?

Right!?

Well didn't so much overhear as saw something and just had to ask why :D (I did not interupt his training, he came over to ask to work in on the bench)

I'd never seen someone roll their shoulders back in a full circle at the top of a deadlift before, so I went and asked him why. He told me it's for explosiveness for the snatch. He also seems to move to the tips of his toes when squatting for pretty much the same reason. I'm still not sure that actually works, might also not be very good for his shoulders or safe with his squats. But he easily benched 100kg with good form so I figure he probably knows what he's doing.

It's from the misonception that you're supposed to have the shoulderblades back and down for the lockout of a deadlift and reaching the top with them rolled forward from the weight of the lift and having to adjust. It helps make it look "more locked out" for judging purposes, but you can handle more weight by just really shoving the hips forward and just keeping them where they are.

It can also result in injuries, moving your shoulders around with that much load when they're really only strong enough to handle it statically. I do it (watch the top of this rep closely). I keep tweaking my left pec a bit during DLs and I'm thinking it's because of this roll at the top. I don't do it intentionally, it just happnes when I really shove the hips forward on that last lockout push.

"Got to go to KFC on the way home. Chicken is protein right...got to get me some GAINS!" this was not said as a joke...

Taco bell here. MMmmm. That meat might not be meat though... 

I just can't eat that crap anymore; McDs/BK/Wendy's/KFC/etc. have so much sugar & fat that within half an hour of eating there, my tummy is gurgling & churlging trying to decide what to do with it all

Gimme a nice freshly made Wawa hoagie any day

Wawa! Ah I miss Wawa iced coffees and coffee "bar". However, I was never a fan of Wawa hoagies. I'll happily take Primo's any day over Wawa

Capriotti hoagies>Primo hoagies>wawa hoagies

wawa meatball sandwhiches though....

• Like 2

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf