Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

How much were you lifting in the video? I tried counting it but I'm not sure what all the plates weigh.

525, went on to fail at 555 if I remember correctly. This is the last lifting comp, so it's from about 4 months ago.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I did. Click the "Thlim Gothodrum" link in my sig for build pics. There's a pdf with build instructions I can send to you if you PM me your email. Rack was about $150, platform about $250.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

So I saw my first "Roid guy" yesterday.  Imagine Vega from Mass Effect 3, only bigger.  Like, much bigger.  He literally looked like a video game character.  Obviously I don't know if he actually takes steroids (and I sure as hell wasn't going to ask) but he only did incline pushups and a few lat pulldowns with surprisingly low weight, so I'd be inclined to say he does.  

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I really need to get some playing time in on ME3, loved the first two.

• Like 3

500 / 330 / 625

I had no problem with the ending, besides it being a bit of deus ex machina.  But most of the complaints I heard were more that people wanted an ending for THEIR Shepard, not the same ending for everyone.  That, and they wanted some closure with the other species.  I found that they implicitly gave closure for pretty much everyone, but I'm okay with it being a subtle nod, rather than anything explicit.  Actually, even with the Director's Cut DLC (which appeased most of my friends), I just sat there and went "Well, duh, I knew all these things were going to happen.  They already stated it before."  Though it did patch a few plot holes.

But it was still a fun freaking game.  Interestingly, also the easiest of the three to beat on Insanity (but I think that's because they finally figured out how to balance the classes out by 3).

• Like 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

I had no problem with the ending, besides it being a bit of deus ex machina.  But most of the complaints I heard were more that people wanted an ending for THEIR Shepard, not the same ending for everyone.  That, and they wanted some closure with the other species.  I found that they implicitly gave closure for pretty much everyone, but I'm okay with it being a subtle nod, rather than anything explicit.  Actually, even with the Director's Cut DLC (which appeased most of my friends), I just sat there and went "Well, duh, I knew all these things were going to happen.  They already stated it before."  Though it did patch a few plot holes.

But it was still a fun freaking game.  Interestingly, also the easiest of the three to beat on Insanity (but I think that's because they finally figured out how to balance the classes out by 3).

I suppose I can understand that.  I just kinda figured it had to end more or less how it did.  Really no other way to button everything up, given the huge amount of variance available in gameplay from ME1 to ME3.  

I've actually never tried any of them on Insanity.  I suppose I should. 

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I suppose I can understand that.  I just kinda figured it had to end more or less how it did.  Really no other way to button everything up, given the huge amount of variance available in gameplay from ME1 to ME3.  

I've actually never tried any of them on Insanity.  I suppose I should. 

That's true.  Also the fact that I took my game and story to be the journey, not the destination, is what made the game for me.  The stories told in the over arching plot between ME1 and ME3 are what made the universe for me, not the way the Reaper War ended.  But anyway.

It's... a bit frustrating.  If you play a biotic-focused class you are pretty much screwed in terms of difficulty in ME1&2 on Insanity, as they make the game 'harder' by adding shields and barriers to everything... which biotics just can't handle well.  So that was kind of frustrating.  By ME3 they switched up things by making AI a bit smarter on higher difficulties, and keeping everyone's basic shields/armor, and just added more points to them to make them harder to take down.  So more HP, but less screwing those of us who were biotic-heavy.

Definitely a good challenge anyway.

• Like 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

That's true.  Also the fact that I took my game and story to be the journey, not the destination, is what made the game for me.  The stories told in the over arching plot between ME1 and ME3 are what made the universe for me, not the way the Reaper War ended.  But anyway.

It's... a bit frustrating.  If you play a biotic-focused class you are pretty much screwed in terms of difficulty in ME1&2 on Insanity, as they make the game 'harder' by adding shields and barriers to everything... which biotics just can't handle well.  So that was kind of frustrating.  By ME3 they switched up things by making AI a bit smarter on higher difficulties, and keeping everyone's basic shields/armor, and just added more points to them to make them harder to take down.  So more HP, but less screwing those of us who were biotic-heavy.

Definitely a good challenge anyway.

Oh cool.  I always played a Soldier.  I should be fine.  Get my trusty Black Widow sniper rifle and blow shit away.  One shot, one kill.   (ok probably not on Insanity, but that is one OP gun)

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Yesterday while deadlifting, always ramp up atm its bar-90-120-150-180 (a bit more and I'm finally at twice my bodyweight :D). Anyway I'm just finished with my third set, guy walks up to me and asks to work in. Tell him sure np go ahead I need at least 3 minutes between sets anyway, he proceeds to ask how many I got left and what weight I'm using, tell him 2 more, one of 150kg and a last one of 180kg. Now this is where it gets weird, he goes "oh euhm I'll wait then" and quickly walks of to talk to the woman he came in with.

I don't think I made any threatening moves O.o

• Like 2

Yesterday while deadlifting, always ramp up atm its bar-90-120-150-180 (a bit more and I'm finally at twice my bodyweight :D). Anyway I'm just finished with my third set, guy walks up to me and asks to work in. Tell him sure np go ahead I need at least 3 minutes between sets anyway, he proceeds to ask how many I got left and what weight I'm using, tell him 2 more, one of 150kg and a last one of 180kg. Now this is where it gets weird, he goes "oh euhm I'll wait then" and quickly walks of to talk to the woman he came in with.

I don't think I made any threatening moves O.o

Only to his ego. He probably thought your were doing sets of 120 across and you just told him that you outlift him, probably by a good amount, by saying 180.

• Like 3

500 / 330 / 625

You're thinking of the wrong area of Europe, the best deadlifters are probably more east, centered around Bulgaria and Romania :D

Recently I read something on T-nation that really ticked me of, but at the same time motivated me to train even harder. An article said this "Deadlifting double your bodyweight doesn't make you strong, it merely makes you 'not weak'. It's the minimum I demand from my endurance athletes".

I can do 3 reps of 180kg, so my 1 repeat max should be a little over twice my bodyweight (95kg) But I won't be satisfied till I hit 3x bodyweight now, which with increasing mass will probably be around 300kg.

Ok rant done xD