Forums are back in action! ×

Anyone from the DC area?

My fiance and I are going to be there next weekend (well, she's going to be in Silver Springs for two weeks, but I'm visiting her next weekend) and I need recommendations for things to do! It's her first time there, and while I've been about a dozen times, it hasn't been in the last 10 years or so. She's a giant history buff, so I'm sure we'll be super touristy in the Mall area, but if anyone has any ideas (especially for restaurants we HAVE to hit up), I'll be willing to cheat on my Primal diet for a couple days.

Thanks!

2/13/12

Starting Primal and free weights

10/02/12

Starting LeanGains. Still lifting all the things.

Fitocracy

I live in the area (Arlington). Keeping super touristy in the mall area will be nice for her. Hitting the museums and such, but you may also want to venture to Old Town Alexandria (King St) for a nice break from inside DC.

As for restaurants: Zaytinya (Greek, Turkish) in Chinatown is a great "tapas" style place, Ray's Hell Burgers in Court House area of Arlington (short metro ride) for awesome big burgers, Little Serow is a new Thai place that is suppose to be awesome (haven't been myself yet....and this one will require a reservation), Founding Farmers is a great Americana place, a number of places on the waterfront in Georgetown if the weather is nice, and Cashion's Eat Place in Adams Morgan for brunch (recommended by a friend, haven't been myself).

Let me know if you are a beer drinker, or looking for a place to go out at night (pub, bar, whatnot), and I'll throw some recommendations based on what you would be interested in.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

Another Arlingtonian here. I second IcedTrip's nominations, but would add that you should really hit Ray's the Steaks (near the Courthouse metro stop) if you are truly going for awesome. Also, the Washington Post tends to have great restaurant reviews, and you can sort them by neighborhood and price tag, so you can find stuff near where you are staying or sightseeing: http://www.washingtonpost.com/gog/dc-restaurants.html

For other restaurants, I really like Baked and Wired in Georgetown for cupcakes and awesome coffee, Cafe Asia in either Rosslyn or Farragut for sushi and other Asian food, B. Smith's at Union Station for fancy southern food, Buca di Beppo near Dupont Circle for family-style Italian food, and Patisserie Poupon in Georgetown for a really excellent breakfast/brunch.

There are enough museums and monuments in DC to keep you occupied doing touristy stuff for days, but Georgetown, Dupont Circle, Eastern Market and Old Town, Alexandria are all great neighborhoods for just walking around and exploring.

Level 2 Amazon Warrior

STR 4 - DEX 2 - STA 3 - CON 2 - WIS 3 - CHA 2

Sisters Getting Swole: Starbuck Vs. IrishAmazon

I also second B.Smith's at Union Station. The space it occupies used to be the east wing on the train station which housed the presidential chambers, where former presidents conducted business when they were in transit via the railway. You get a sense of the stately decor of that time at the turn of the 20th century. I like most of the sparse menu, but stay away from the swamp thang... can't stomach those bitter greens...

In addition, Union Station has a colonnade that is littered with statues by Augustus St. Gaudens who is probably the most prominent US sculptor... worth seeing the main hall just for that...

Another thing if you are into political kitsch... you can walk a few blocks to the Dirksen Senate office building... there is the Senate cafeteria there that is open to the public... it's nothing fancy but they have a made to order sushi station (great), burger grill, pizza, etc... generally you won't see any senators there, but you will see a lot of senate interns and staffers...

Now I don't know what the selection criteria for female Senate interns is... but the co-eds are smoking hot... just a casual observation...

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

I second the Mall and Georgetown. If you like Italian, Filomena's in Georgetown is excellent. Just roaming the streets can be a workout since Georgetown is hilly. I'd try to hit Tudor Place if she's an American history buff- it was built by Martha Washington's granddaughter and remained in the family till 1983, when it was opened to the public after the last owner died. Arlington Cemetery is also really interesting, and Mount Vernon is an easy daytrip from DC.

Oh, and Thomas Sweet shop has great hot fudge sundaes.

If you're staying on the Mall, then try the National Gallery of Art and the American Indian museum for food. The Gallery is doing an Italian buffet right now, and AI has a great cafe. I love their fry bread, but they also have healthy options. They're both on the expensive side, but so are all the museum restaurants and as a treat they're worth the money.