Forums are back in action! ×

Help Altering Angry Birds Workout or Basic Rebel Fitness Routine

Ok so I posted my 6 week challenge blog: http://nerdfitness.com/community/entry.php?4141-Challenge-Accepted-Start-March-5th&bt=13634

My first mini goal: Get advice on altering Angry Birds or the Basic Rebel Fitness Guide to better suit my way out of shape self.

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/03/10/angry-birds-workout-plan/

I started doing Angry Birds workout the first few weeks of last month but ended up stopping because my knees were really strained from the squats, then doing knee pushups, then doing knee planks. I got myself to real planks, but still do pushups on my knees (though not very well, I can barely lower myself).

Should I have started with incline instead of knee pushups? How should I work my way to real pushups?

Also I've made my way past one arm rows for the back exercises, but have nowhere to do inverted rows. What should I do? Is there anything I could rig up in my yard/garage?

I'm sorry if this has been covered before, I'm an absolute n00b at navigating the forums!

Let's do this damn thing already!

http://twitter.com/IceGenesis

I'd like to hear about going from knee push ups to real ones as well...

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

Incline pushups are a good alternative to knee pushups if they bother your knees. There is less load on your arms, making the motion easier. If you want to progress more quickly once you've mastered the basic pushup (incline, knee, or other) add an explosive component (your hands should leave the floor/bench). This will help you build the muscles needed to progress to full pushups.

If you're looking to increase your max reps, try greasing the groove. Essentially, you perform a number of reps below your maximum (if you can do 5 at most, do 2-3) several times per day, whenever you can fit it in. You'll end up with a higher rep count and improved max reps without reaching failure in one set and effectively ending your training for the day.

As far as the inverted rows, all you need is a bar/surface you can grip that is at least your arm's length above the floor. If you have somewhere to hang something, you could consider a TRX Suspension set, or a homemade equivalent. It looks scary (and it can be) but it can be set up to do inverted rows. It's a great investment, because as you progress, there are infinite possibilities for exercises to do with it.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

Icline push ups are supposedly better because they help you with proper form. Start doing them against the wall. Once you can do about 45 in 3 sets, move to a lower incline (I used the back of our couch) then go progressively lower as you improve. Right now I am using a milk crate, then my next step will be push ups. I can do a few real push ups, do I throw those in there on occasion. Once in a while just try a regular push up-you may surprise yourself and do one.

On squats, make sure you are sitting back and bending at your hip, just as if you were sitting in a chair. You move down with your glutes, not your knees. If you move down with your knees instead of your bum, you'll end up with sore knees.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

My wife likes the incline pushups better than the knee ones. They're also more adjustable as you can slowly decrease the incline as you become more comfortable.

As for the inverted rows, I do assisted pull ups in the gym instead because I hated trying to find ways to do them. I tried the edge of a table, but it was awkward and not quite high enough. The one thing I did find I liked was doing them hanging off swings down the park. Negative pull ups would work as well if you get a pull up bar for home.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I was told by PT to do incline pushups first and not do the knee version. I'm also doing normal planks. Also, I'm doing pushups at a lower level I can't quite do my reps at. Eventually I'll get better..

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

Instead of the inverted rows, you can get a door mounted pullup bar (easy to find, cheap, and removable) and use a chair to assist doing pullups. If you are going to stick with bodyweight exercises, a pullup bar is a must have item unless you've got rings (and really the only must have piece of equipment).

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Instead of the inverted rows, you can get a door mounted pullup bar (easy to find, cheap, and removable) and use a chair to assist doing pullups. If you are going to stick with bodyweight exercises, a pullup bar is a must have item unless you've got rings (and really the only must have piece of equipment).

I've been thinking about the pullup bar, I was just putting it off till I could actually do a pullup lol. Do you know if they mess up the door jam? My dad would kick my ass if it did >.<

No they don't mess up the door. Mine left some light marks in the paint (though you'd never see it unless you specifically looked for it and knew where to look), but I have a very old house with 1000 layers of paint on the moulding. Throwing another layer on it someday is no biggie, it is all of 10 minutes of work with a $2 can of paint. If the moulding isn't painted though it shouldn't do anything; paint is really weak and discolors easy. The wall where I do handstand pushups looks 10x worse because of my shoes touching the wall, all the marks from the soles.

currently cutting

don't panic!

I've been thinking about the pullup bar, I was just putting it off till I could actually do a pullup lol. Do you know if they mess up the door jam? My dad would kick my ass if it did >.<

A lot the newer bars are not only removeable, but moveable within the door frame itself. Set it lower and do inverted rows :)

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

I also rotate the angry birds and basic rebel fitness routine. I have been doing one for a week or so, and when I get bored, which always happens, I switch to the other.

I have the same issue with push ups as you. I can't do real ones yet, but doing them on my knees makes me knees ache. I switched to incline. I started against the wall. I eventually made my way so far away from the wall to make them awkward, so now I use the edge of my dresser. Its about hip height. They are harder, and I haven't progressed down from there yet, but my knees don't hurt.

I used to be terrible at squats because they made my knees pop and crack and then ache. I did an intro session at Crossfit and the coach taught me how to do them correctly. Now only my legs and butt hurt afterwards. As it should be. If there is a Crossfit in your area you can try going in for a free intro session and get them to show you how to do proper squats. It really takes someone watching you and telling you what to do to get them right. After that, once you know what they should feel like, its not hard to keep your form.

I can't do planks from my knees. I have tried, but its pretty painful and I don't want to be undue strain on my joints. I suck at planks right now, but I just keep doing them, even if I can't get past lvl 1 in angry birds, at least my times improve by a few seconds each time. There is no shame doing a plank until you shake and fall. It build character :)

"Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform. "-Mark Twain
“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.†– Winston Churchill
“You will either step forward into growth or you will step back into safety.†– Abraham Maslow

Wood Elf Adventurer LEVEL 6.817
Stats: STR-18.62 DEX-8.22 STA-19.05 CON-29.72 WIS-30.26 CHA-22.73

I also rotate the angry birds and basic rebel fitness routine. I have been doing one for a week or so, and when I get bored, which always happens, I switch to the other.

I have the same issue with push ups as you. I can't do real ones yet, but doing them on my knees makes me knees ache. I switched to incline. I started against the wall. I eventually made my way so far away from the wall to make them awkward, so now I use the edge of my dresser. Its about hip height. They are harder, and I haven't progressed down from there yet, but my knees don't hurt.

I used to be terrible at squats because they made my knees pop and crack and then ache. I did an intro session at Crossfit and the coach taught me how to do them correctly. Now only my legs and butt hurt afterwards. As it should be. If there is a Crossfit in your area you can try going in for a free intro session and get them to show you how to do proper squats. It really takes someone watching you and telling you what to do to get them right. After that, once you know what they should feel like, its not hard to keep your form.

I can't do planks from my knees. I have tried, but its pretty painful and I don't want to be undue strain on my joints. I suck at planks right now, but I just keep doing them, even if I can't get past lvl 1 in angry birds, at least my times improve by a few seconds each time. There is no shame doing a plank until you shake and fall. It build character :)

Omg that's the story of my life with planks, I suck at them hard and end up collapsed onto the floor like a dead bug every time lol.

As long as you last a second or two longer than the last time you fell flat, its forward motion, and progress is what you want anyways. My best so far is 22 seconds before I ended up on my face.

"Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform. "-Mark Twain
“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.†– Winston Churchill
“You will either step forward into growth or you will step back into safety.†– Abraham Maslow

Wood Elf Adventurer LEVEL 6.817
Stats: STR-18.62 DEX-8.22 STA-19.05 CON-29.72 WIS-30.26 CHA-22.73

I despise planks. Though early on getting my plank times up is what helped me to get my pushup #'s up.

I'd much rather do a harder ab exercise that tires me faster. After about 40 seconds or so into a plank I just begin to hate life, the universe, and everything (the answer most certainly is not 42).

Then again, this is pretty much the reason why I need to be doing more planks. I've been stalled at 60 sec for a long time. Probably because I dislike them so much.

currently cutting

don't panic!

Planks on forearms is most common....the trick is to up the difficulty before you get past 60 secs. I recommend swiss ball rollouts if you have one. Or else start doing superman planks...with your arms extended over your head like your flying.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

JakSavage

Level 2 Half-Dragon Ranger

STR:6 DEX:5 STA:5 CON:3 WIS:4 CHA:3

All your specs are belong to us!

Also...hands are easier so its good for beginners....the closer to level you get the harder they become. So put your feet up on a step or a chair. Then plank onto a swiss ball with your feet on a chair...or another swiss ball if you wanna get nuts.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

JakSavage

Level 2 Half-Dragon Ranger

STR:6 DEX:5 STA:5 CON:3 WIS:4 CHA:3

All your specs are belong to us!