Forums are back in action! ×

Dollar Shave Club - Their Blades are F-in Great!

That's awesome. I agree that shave technology is a bunch of gimmicks. I use a vintage double-edge safety razor with great results. Blades are like 30 cents each, and last way longer than those 5 blade contraptions.

I also have a few straight razors that I pull out occasionally, just to keep in practice. I will be one of the few clean shaven men, when the zombie apocalypse happens!

I just recently in the past year switched to a safety razor, and pretty soon I plan on making the transition to a straight razor. After making the switch I've never looked back, saved money, and have kept a really, really smooth shave.

If you can find someone who shaves with a straight razor, have them show you how to hone it properly and what types of angles to hold it to your face. I didn't have anyone, but I read a crapton of tutorials before trying it. This was before Youtube, and I am sure there are now some great videos demonstrating techniques.

The first shave with one had me a bit nervous. I have only cut myself once (besides a couple of minor nicks, that I would have gotten from almost anything I would have been using). It was a good one though. I had the blade really sharp, so I didn't even feel it until I noticed blood pouring out of my chin. Then the soap got into it, and OWW!!! Don't hold the blade perfectly perpendicular to your face, that is the lesson I learned from that experience.

I've always wanted to use a straight razor. I use to have a barber that used one with hot foam on the back of the neck. I think next time I need new razors, instead of paying $15 for 4 more, I'll look into a safety razor instead. Can anyone recommend any brands?

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

I've always wanted to use a straight razor. I use to have a barber that used one with hot foam on the back of the neck. I think next time I need new razors, instead of paying $15 for 4 more, I'll look into a safety razor instead. Can anyone recommend any brands?

I've only owned Merkur. I had a few different ones at one point, but slowly sold them off. The one that I have now is the 33c. Dead simple, and about $35 new. Based on the quality of construction, I expect I'll have it for several decades at least (it's 3 years old and looks exactly as it did the day I took it out of the box). Avoid Merkur blades though - they're hideously overpriced.