Forums are back in action! ×

pullup progression

Soooo I just got an Iron Gym (over-the-door pullup bar). I REALLY want to be able to do dead-hang pullups soon. Right now I can't even do one. I use the assistance bands at CrossFit - if we're doing more than 10 I use the green band, if it's just a couple I can use the thinner one. But without a band? Forget it. So I am here to ask for any and all suggestions of what I can do at home to work on dead-hangs!

So far I only know that I should do some negatives. I have no idea how many, or how often, I should be doing them. If anyone has a program suggestion or tip, it'd be much appreciated!! Thanks!

Negatives. Do them often. Commerical on tv? Pop off a few. Waiting for dinner to cook? Do some more. Waiting on your boyfriend for dinner because he's running late, again? Perfect time to do some :D

For a more structured approach try the 3 sets as many as you can variety. Also Greasing the Groove helps (do like 80% of your max throughout the day.)

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Negatives. Do them often. Commerical on tv? Pop off a few. Waiting for dinner to cook? Do some more. Waiting on your boyfriend for dinner because he's running late, again? Perfect time to do some :D

HAHA, he's always perfectly on time and usually waiting for ME. But thanks for your advice, I will continue doing them then!! :)

The thing that I think helped with pullups the most when I did the NRoLfW stage that focuses on being able to do a pullup at the end of it were ten sets of whatever weight you can manage for two reps of lat pull-downs. (I substituted inverted rows with a ten pound plate on my chest.) Decrease the time you rest in between sets every time you do them and when you get to not having any rest, see how many reps you can do in a row.

As others have said, negatives as often as you can will help a lot. I started out only being able to do 1, then started some bent over dumbbell rows (as heavy as I could), as well as some lat pulldowns for while. Now, anytime I walk under that bar (its in between my living room and bedroom), I do as many as I can. Most I'm at right now is 5-6, but that number is going up quickly.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*