Forums are back in action! ×

What's worse just before bed?

OK, so I'm on a project that has me working 13hrs/day, 5 days/week. This is my weekday schedule:

Alarm at 5:45am - up, shower, pack lunch and roll out the door by 6:15am

Sit behind this stupid computer all day, drive back to cabin.

7:00pm - get back (as long as I didn't have to stop for anything)

10:00pm - in bed to get close to my 8hrs sleep.

That leaves me 3 hours to wind down (or up), eat, and exercise. Luckily I do most of my NF surfing at work (shhhh.....)

So this leads me to my question:

Eat first then workout? Or workout first, which leaves eating until just before bedtime?

I'm stuck with this schedule until sometime in June or early July, so I need to find a routine that works!

I would workout first but it may come down to whatever works better for you.

The main reason for this is that I would find it difficult to sleep if I exercise later so it impacts on my total sleep time.

Also, when I am in a simlar situation I will often use the oven to cook dinners as much as possible. This means I workout, put dinner on and go and have a shower while it's cooking and save a bit more time that way.

"I lift heavy things. Sometimes these things are people."

I've found that I can't concentrate on my workout if i'm hungry. In fact i'm more likely to take the easy way out to get to my food. so i eat when i first get home, let it settle, then do my workout and shower.

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

Going to sleep on a truly full stomach isn't supposed to be good on the stomach from what I've always heard (leads to reflux). I'm not sure if there is any truth to that. Makes sense though

As far as the calories, there probably isn't a better time to eat. Our bodies do much of their repair and muscle growth while sleeping. Drinking a protein shake before bed is pretty common among athletes and bodybuilders.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

If you are concerned about a big meal right before bed, perhaps you could change your day round a little and take a nice big lunch, then just have a small something after your workout. Depending who/what you believe that may or may not be better for you, but could be worth trying sometime to see.

Although it does mean you have to make a big lunch to take with you!

Level 2 Ranger
Aspiring to awesomeness

Your body will give you cues to what it prefers. Try them both out. :)

I agree with this. For me I usually eat little to no food before exercising, and a big meal after. At least for me, food in the stomach and intense workouts do NOT mix. Some others find exactly the opposite.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison