Forums are back in action! ×

Finally on the Forums

Hello,

I've been a lurker for years but finally took my 20 seconds of courage to apply to be a Wizard at Camp Nerd Fitness.  That turned out to be one of the smartest things I've ever done.  I got a million times more out of Camp than I gave.  

My doctor has told me I'm on my way to Type 2 diabetes due to insulin resistance from following what I used to think was a healthy diet with lots of 'healthy' whole grains.  Turns out that is kryptonite for me.  Now, my carbs are coming mostly from veggies with the occasional tortilla or tiny scoop of rice when I just gotta have it.  My weight and my blood sugars are dropping. Despite the improvements it is hard to eat like this in normal life.  So many temptations...

I've been a runner for years but also gaining weight for years.  I'm slowly getting back into the running and have a couple of half marathons and a 10K scheduled within the next 6 months.  Doing a Maffetone-type heart rate training and seeing my times per mile drop at my max heart rate.  Hope that shows in my race times.

Today I start a new quest.  After watching the power lifting competitions at Camp I have decided that I want to lift heavy things!  Today is my first training session.  I'm scared but excited.

Looking forward to hanging out in the forums and learning from everyone!

Kiena/Disnutt