Forums are back in action! ×

What makes you a nerd?

Please help me settle an argument. Does watching Glee add to someone's nerdiness? Is this be a +1 or a -1 in a nerd-off.

My argument is that it is way too mainstream to make someone more nerdy. It's loved by millions of 13 year old girls, just like New Kids on the Block were when I was younger.

Also, this is a really scary topic for me to start. I know that you Gleeks are passionate about it. It's like talking religion or politics with your coworkers. Terrifying. I'm not saying I don't like the show or that it sucks. I promise! ;)

D

In training to be awesome! :highly_amused:

Personally I feel like Glee would be a negative in your nerdy column. Though worrying about your nerdy status should counteract any negative affects of watching such a show.

"Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform. "-Mark Twain
“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.†– Winston Churchill
“You will either step forward into growth or you will step back into safety.†– Abraham Maslow

Wood Elf Adventurer LEVEL 6.817
Stats: STR-18.62 DEX-8.22 STA-19.05 CON-29.72 WIS-30.26 CHA-22.73

Yea, maybe it's only nerdy if you aren't a 13 year old girl, or if you take it to some extremes.

I just suffer from general Doctor Who/Harry Potter/ Lord of the Rings/ English major/ Red Dwarf/ Chronicles of Narnia/ etc... nerdiness. Just run of the mill! Oh, and I went to the first Tolkien Gathering in Toronto. Oh, oops, my wedding was Harry Potter inspired/themed.

Can I get a +1?

Personally I feel like Glee would be a negative in your nerdy column. Though worrying about your nerdy status should counteract any negative affects of watching such a show.

Negative meaning... that being a Gleek is cool?

However, I do NOT worry about my nerd status. The whole point was to figure out who is the bigger nerd. It was for nerd PRIDE.

I also feel that Glee is a little mainstream to be truly nerdy, although if you believe the buzz from magazines like Wired (and just buzz in general), being nerdy has also gone mainstream. So I don't know what to tell you there...

"Then laugh, leaning back in my arms; For life's not a paragraph, And death, I think, is no parenthesis." ~ E.E. Cummings

Level 1 Tiefling Adventurer

Paladin of Stick 'Em With the Pointy End

I also feel that Glee is a little mainstream to be truly nerdy, although if you believe the buzz from magazines like Wired (and just buzz in general), being nerdy has also gone mainstream. So I don't know what to tell you there...

I think the misconception out there is that there aren't that many nerds, so something nerdy can't be mainstream. But we are everywhere! Our numbers are plenty big enough to push something to the level of mainstream notoriety.

Plus... this is the age where nerds took over the world. Steve Jobs, Pixar, Microsoft, Tina Fey, Mark Cuban, etc, etc...

I agree that Glee is very mainstream, but the fact that it's about a show choir instead of cheerleaders or some such "popular" thing brings it back toward nerdy a notch. That's a tough call, but I'd say if a person's only claim to nerdiness is that they watch Glee, then he/she is probably not really nerdy.

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

Yea, maybe it's only nerdy if you aren't a 13 year old girl, or if you take it to some extremes.

I just suffer from general Doctor Who/Harry Potter/ Lord of the Rings/ English major/ Red Dwarf/ Chronicles of Narnia/ etc... nerdiness. Just run of the mill! Oh, and I went to the first Tolkien Gathering in Toronto. Oh, oops, my wedding was Harry Potter inspired/themed.

Can I get a +1?

Harry Potter wedding theme? Definitely a +1 on the nerdy scale. I think my son will be ready to get married when he talks a girl into a Lord of the Rings themed wedding.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I am a nerd in the strictest definition--I am a polymath--love to learn new things and learn everything about them and then lose interest and move on, so I have a brain filled with information and can speak on most subjects intelligently. I am completely A-political and since I am an energy reader/empath/palmist I am pretty different from everyone else around me, but I dont give a crap.

As for typical nerd actions....I like that show with Sheldon on it...does that make me a nerd? Big bang?

I think that stereotypes are really silly--just be yourself...glee or not! :)

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

Glee can be nerdy, depending on the level of fandom. Like a 23 year old woman with emotional attachments and a rule that no one speaks on Tuesdays from 7PM to 8AM or Wednesdays from 6AM-6:45AM (Because it must be watched twice) is a bit nerdy. 13 year old girls who watch it with their friends are on the mainstream end of the spectrum

Jediknightingale

Elf- Ranger

STR: 2 DEX: 2 STA: 1 CON: 3 WIS: 3 CHA: 4

Sweat is fat crying

Can I get a +1?

I think you get way more than a +1 for that. :D

I'm a Doctor Who, IT Crowd sorta nerd. I have a tardis/dalek tattoo on my calf which *needs* to be colored soon dammit.

I'm a sit at home and watch sci-fi and action movies instead of going out clubbing nerd.

That, and I can recite The Matrix by heart. >.> <.< Yupp. I just went there. I can quote most movies that I love, but they're mostly sci-fi, action, or simply goofy movies. Bad Boys II, anyone? Teehee. Yes... I'm that nerd. I love movies. I'm also counting down to The Avengers. I can at least mask that by counting down to my birthday, since The Avengers comes out the day after. Iron Man 3 even comes out ON my birthday next year. Yeeaaauuuuh. I feel like it ups my nerdy status just knowing that fact. I have the movie taste of a typical man.

I'm also a stickler for grammar in most cases. I slack in forums because they're more stream of consciousness than actual writing. I make no sense with that, though, because with text messages I'm uber crazy. I'm a mix of contradictions.

Fitocracy! | Running Trainer | Facebook | Twitter | Current Challenge Blog!

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

I'm also counting down to The Avengers. I can at least mask that by counting down to my birthday, since The Avengers comes out the day after.

There's no hiding my excitement. Everyone knows I'm a dork and nerd of all sorts. Every time I see something about the Avengers I get all excited... and may even start clapping like a retarded seal. Soooooo excited!

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

Can I get a +1?

Aaaaaand a Dr. Who username! Truly an awesome nerd :). And a Harry Potter wedding? How awesome is that?? Any chance of posting pictures? Not only that, but you're a fellow English major. I must fangirl. I'm a huge Potter geek myself ... I've completely lost track of the number of times I've re-read the books. I also love LOTR. We sort of had a LOTR theme wedding -- it was actually just generic medieval/fantasy, but Eowyn and Faramir were our cake toppers. And poor Faramir took a fall and ruined the cake, but it was all in good fun :P

And to clarify things... how nerdy (or not) is it if the Gleek is hypothetically a 42-year-old man (looking around innocently)?

Yes, now nerdy is it for this hypothetical 42-year old man? +1 or -1? Does the man own a Glee t-shirt? Hmm...

Yes, now nerdy is it for this hypothetical 42-year old man? +1 or -1? Does the man own a Glee t-shirt? Hmm...

No, he does not, but he has a hat, and one of those string backpacks. He has 6 CDs plus assorted other songs. He has the first two seasons on DVD. He went to see the 3D movie (with his kids as his beard, though)

I don't think we need to worry about Book, I know his secrets and he's beyond confirmed nerd

Whew, thanks. I was starting to doubt myself. However... there's plenty of proof a-comin'!

Harry Potter wedding theme? Definitely a +1 on the nerdy scale. I think my son will be ready to get married when he talks a girl into a Lord of the Rings themed wedding.

how old is your son? My 15 year old would be in HEAVEN...of course I have taught her well and she will likely never marry. (this is all joking people)

Never cheat off the dumb kid.