Forums are back in action! ×

Hey- I'm new to, well, pretty much everything around here. I've always had weight issues, especially after starting university back in 2008, and I've decided to make a real lifestyle change.

I started exercising regularly in December (cardio and stretching, mostly) and added yoga in January. In February I dipped a toe into the weightlifting pool, and I'm pretty much hooked. I try to train every other day (on non-lifting days I do a yoga class). This site has been really inspiring.

I'm not that strong yet, but I'm super excited to get stronger and more muscular and hopefully lose some fat as well. Currently weight 190 at 5'6".

I can't really afford to go paleo for financial reasons, but I'm going to try cutting down grains (except for brown rice and steel-cut oats) and see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

What else... I live in Toronto, Canada and study music, among other things.

Welcome aboard

You may find further defining your goals will help you to better achieve them. For example, is there a body fat percentage you would like to get too? Or do you have a certain amount of weight you would like to be able to deadlift, or do a certain number of push-ups in a row?

Setting the master goal then breaking it down into smaller goals as stepping stones is a very useful aid in achieving what you want.

With the grain thing, I think primarily if you cut out gluten (which can also occur in vinegars and things like soy sauce etc) then your going to be giving your body a break from things it can't really handle, so it's a good start to make. Though with the oats try to make sure that your buying ones from a company that doesn't also process wheat etc on site as cross-contamination can occur.

I hope to see you post regularly and let us know how your getting along :) And asking questions of course.... :)

Welcome aboard

You may find further defining your goals will help you to better achieve them. For example, is there a body fat percentage you would like to get too? Or do you have a certain amount of weight you would like to be able to deadlift, or do a certain number of push-ups in a row?

Setting the master goal then breaking it down into smaller goals as stepping stones is a very useful aid in achieving what you want.

With the grain thing, I think primarily if you cut out gluten (which can also occur in vinegars and things like soy sauce etc) then your going to be giving your body a break from things it can't really handle, so it's a good start to make. Though with the oats try to make sure that your buying ones from a company that doesn't also process wheat etc on site as cross-contamination can occur.

I hope to see you post regularly and let us know how your getting along :) And asking questions of course.... :)

Thanks for the reply and encouragement :)

I think as far as a master goal- I'd like to weigh around 150 with a fat percentage of no more than 20 or so. Of course, my immediate goal is to find out what my current fat percentage is, since that will help determine how far I have to go. Ultimately I don't care so much about losing fat as I do about being in good health and being fit, and having good self-esteem and body image.

The steel-cut oats are from Bob's Red Mill. I've never experienced any "symptoms" from eating gluten, so as far as that goes, I think cutting down rather than eliminating will be enough for now.

Thanks to everyone for being so welcoming!

I've been grain-free (save for about 1/8 cup of steel-cut oats) for two days and am feeling pretty good about this decision. I've also started eating meat (when I can get it; my kitchen at home is strictly pescetarian due to roommates' dietary restrictions) again after three years of pescetarianism.