Forums are back in action! ×

Hello from Kittmittens

Hi everyone, I just signed up for the NF Academy last night, and am really excited to get started, but I am still working out my goals.

I LOVE travel and hiking, and spent last year training for a weeklong trip to Big Bend National Park.  I dropped a ton of money at REI, and went hiking every weekend, increasing distance and difficulty until my trip this past February.  The trip was amazing, I completed the hikes I wanted to do the most, and it was an experience I'll never forget!  At the end of March my wife and I moved from Texas to New Hampshire, where she is from, and have bought a house. 

I thought New Hampshire would be a hiking paradise, and it is certainly beautiful.  I work from home now, and we only have one car, so unless my wife has the weekend off (which isn't always the case) I am stuck here by myself.  After months of not hiking very much, I decided a couple weeks ago that we would hike to the top Mt. Monadnock, New Hampshire's most summited peak.  I guess because I thought It is such a popular hike, and because I was such a badass in February, that it would be hard, but not horrible.

I was wrong.  It was horrible!  We made it to the summit, but I was in so much pain coming down, I had to force myself not to cry.  Meanwhile, hundreds (yes, there were that many people) of happy hikers are bounding past me up and down the trail, without a care in the world.  I was so miserable.  What happened to me?  I thought I was a badass.  Instead I felt broken, fat, and sad.  It took about 4 days for my body to stop hurting enough that I could walk normally without hobbling.

This past Monday morning I went to the doctors office for a routine followup, and was told I weighed 170 pounds.  WHAT!?  I weighed 145 in February, and am inly 5'4". I was also told I had high blood pressure.  Not high enough to worry about, she said, but I was still shocked.  Something has to change.  So here I am.

And in case anyone is wondering about the name "Kittymittens" it is the name of my main character in Dungeons and Dragons Online.  She is tiny and cute, but is a little package of ultimate badass!

Attached is my favorite picture from Big Bend.  The view from the South Rim, which was epic to get to, and my feet, which is how I got there.

10357525_10153257356851249_7084804762464963060_n.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome.  The unfortunate truth is that fitness levels really start to drop if you are not making an effort to maintain or increase it.  It is a lesson I learned the hard way and now have years of neglect to make up for.  So look at the bright side you are lucky.. you o ly have seven or eight months to make up for.  I am just starting here too so I hope in a few months to see your inspiring success story to help keep !E motivated. :)

Bill

Thanks.  It doesn't help at all that my job is sedentary, and I work from home so I don't even have the walk from the car to the office that most people have. ;) I'm also not at all used to the cold in New Hampshire yet and have been having a very very hard time motivating myself to go outside, I really just need to buy some warm boots and suck it up, but its difficult.