Forums are back in action! ×

Shadow Boxing - Useful?

A big part of my workout (and the most fun) is definitely shadowboxing. I strap on my wrist-weights, grab my wussy little three-pound dumbells, stand in front of the GIGANTIC TELEVISION (we have a cheap HD projector and we turned one entire wall into a 110" television), put on something inspirational and bang away. I mix it up with kicks and punches, change up my stance (usually as deep as possible), dodging imaginary punches with exaggerated motions to work my core (practically turning my body parallel to the floor), and if it's a good movie I can usually push myself until I'm completely dripping with sweat, then go a little further.

But an important question: is this doing much? It's not very high impact, the weights are very low, and I keep seeing how maintaining one level of cardio output isn't very effective. Could this time be better spent otherwise?

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

I guess the question is: are you seeing the results you want from it? If you are, keep doing it! If you aren't, then it's time to change something. Could you get a standing bag to add resistance? When I used to do Tae Bo (ohh i LOVED billy blanks), he would add resistance bands to the kicks. That seemed to be an effective step up from just kicks.

Well, the results would be that it's now so much HARDER to get me up to a full sweat... it used to be eight minutes flat, now I can throw for a full 22 minute episode of something on Netflix and only really start to sweat at the end of it. It's having SOME effect, definitely.

I don't have any resistance bands, and right now there is no money to spare on resistance bands or a standup bag. I am going to hang a sandbag from the kid's playground when the weather warms up and destroy that, but I don't have anything for now.

If you're doing your own program of shadowboxing (as opposed to watching a video) I might ditch the weights for part of it and go for speed. Shadowboxing is usually used as a warm up and/or cardio experience. In boxing, when we used weights during shadowboxing it was for the express purpose of making our punches faster. So we'd do: 2 rounds shadowboxing-no weight, one with weights, rinse and repeat for however long. You may try that?

Also, not sure what your boxing history is... but get on youtube and look up some new moves. Try dips, rolls, moving in and out while you throw... different punches.. if you can, really work on form and speed and you will probably see new results.

Otherwise, WHY do you shadowbox? What goal are you trying to accomplish with it? (that may alter some of what I have or have not said so I'm wondering)

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Haha I was gonna say it depends on how well your shadow boxes :P

Then I thought that, actually, that's a valid question. Like most aerobic exercises, you get out of it what you put in. You should be able to push yourself to break in a sweat in minutes, regardless of the actual activity.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Well, ok, I haven't changed how hard I push myself, probably... I set a good pace and just sort of go with it.

My history is eight years GSD, one year TKD, one year half-assed at a boxing gym, and all of that was a while ago. I do it because it's an exercise I can do that's FUN, while the other ones are just... exercises. Not fun. Just rote movements. My eventual goal is to get back into fighting, compete in a sanctioned MMA event again (Vancouver re-opened their sanctioning body). I might look up some more stuff, but I just do the basics. Reverse punches, jabs, hook, short punches, inner block, outer block, step-counter, front kick, front thrust kick, high front kick, kempo roundhouse...

If it's fun, and you love it...do it. It's obviously getting your heart rate up, it's definitely not hurting you if you're not complaining of pain, so why not? You can use it as a warm up before lifting, or just something fun to do on your off days.

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

Only thing I'd say is to use resistance bands rather than weights. Although weights seem like a good idea they don't properly emulate the forces and body mechanics of a punch. Imagine as a little thought experiment that you started using a ridiculously weighted set of dumbbells, like 40kg, or something, all it's doing is pulling your arm downwards meaning you are strengthening the muscles that help pull it back up, but these muscles don't help you punch so you might be getting more tired but your punch isn't getting much stronger as a result of it. Resistance bands on the other hand will work in the same direction as the punch you are throwing (although they only really work on straight punches, so no hooks and uppercuts) so make the workout hard and strengthen the muscles you use to punch.

Your metaphor is only partially true. With the weight in my hand, moving from my hip to an opponent's face, the weight is also preventing the motion of my arm, providing resistance to all the muscles that are involved. It's only pulling straight down if I HOLD my arm out there. When I snap my arm back, it's adding inertial resistance to both accelerate and decelerate the weight.

Resistance bands are tricky because a) I can't move around if I have to stay anchored to one spot, B) I have nowhere to attach them where I box, and c) I don't have any.

Your metaphor is only partially true. With the weight in my hand, moving from my hip to an opponent's face, the weight is also preventing the motion of my arm, providing resistance to all the muscles that are involved. It's only pulling straight down if I HOLD my arm out there. When I snap my arm back, it's adding inertial resistance to both accelerate and decelerate the weight.

Resistance bands are tricky because a) I can't move around if I have to stay anchored to one spot, B) I have nowhere to attach them where I box, and c) I don't have any.

That's only part true, to clarify weights will add something on uppercuts but will add very little on straight punches and hooks. Resistance bands aren't that expensive and you don't need to anchor them to anything, I have a set and I shadow box by wrapping them around my chest which works perfectly

Get some resistance bands. For the punches you can wrap them around your back so you can still move around.

Shadow boxing while holding weights is normally though of as a bad idea. First as already mentioned they don't emulate the proper forces you are against when punching for real. Also, if you don't know how to punch properly it can already do damage to your joint, particulalry elbows. Avoid hyperextension.

Obivously you enjoy it and no one can stop you from doing it. But there's not reason you can't do some other workouts in front of the big screen as well.

"I lift heavy things. Sometimes these things are people."

okay... i know you're all talking about "shadow" boxing, but has anyone mentioned getting a heavy bag to work with? Give yourself enough room and you can dance around all you want.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

I should clarify: the weights we used were 1 lb. I'm not a proponent of anything heavier, honestly.

I just meant are doing this as form of cardio? It sounds like you may be. So, then if you're pushing yourself harder--yes, it's totally useful. And trust me, I know how fun it is! I still shadowbox from time to time when I'm looking for some cardio to do at home (along with jump rope drills-woo!). Boxing is the best! (well, most fighting arts, imo).

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

I never realized how lame my old workout groove was. Managed to box myself nearly into a coma in five minutes. Cool.

That's ok. After you finish, your shadow looks pretty tired too... :P

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

I'd highly suggest punching a bag. As long as you are doing correct punches (first two knuckles lined up with your arm, hand should look like you're spilling tea out of a tea cup) you'll get some good conditioning in on your fists. Biggest benefit here is self defense, if your form is good when you practice you'll have a solid punch to disorient an attacker long enough to haul yer rear out of there. Yay practicality?