Forums are back in action! ×

How can I get the most out of 3 sessions with a personal trainer?

I've never been an athlete. To be honest, I still feel a great deal of cognitive dissonance logging into this website, even though I've been reading NF since last summer. While I've been going to my gym for over a year and haven't run into any "gym bullies," part of me still feels like the 14-year-old girl with asthma who stuck out in PE class like a sore thumb.

Anyway, part of what's kept me going to the gym is Zumba. You see, it's a lot easier for me to get my head around dancing than "exercise." It's also nice because I have strengths which help me in class: a sense of rhythm and the fact I can move my hips. Even though I'm bigger than most of the folks in class, I can dance just as well (if not better), and I have fun.

But now I'm ready to stretch myself more, to get further out of my comfort zone. As part of the 6 Week Challenge, I decided to incorporate strength training into my routine. I started researching. This community is very helpful, but I still feel like I'd like to have someone who's more experienced work with me a little, until I get the hang of all this stuff. So, one of the Zumba instructors is also a personal trainer at my gym. She's very nice. I asked her what a session with her would be like (as opposed to the "free" session included with my gym membership when he spent half the hour trying to sell me more personal training). She seemed very nice when I told her I'm not interested in (and can't afford!) long-term personal training, and I don't think she'll focus on a hard sell. There's a deal at my gym right now where I can get 3 sessions for $99, which makes it affordable. So, I think I'll go for it.

Now, how do you think I can get the most out of my three sessions?

Me:

I'm a total beginner at strength training.

Last I checked, I weigh 224 lbs (this is down at least 10 lbs from last summer).

I'm 32 years old.

My current exercise activity is Zumba (3-4 times a week).

I know I have more endurance since I started exercising regularly, and I've noticed other positive changes in the way I feel.

My goals are all about general health, strength, and endurance. (I realize these goals may be a little too general...)

What should I ask her to show me or focus on in our sessions? Suggestions?

A wandering bard, learning from the Druids
August 6 through September 17 Challenge
June 18 through July 30 Challenge
STR 4.5 | DEX 6 | STA 6 | CON 5 | WIS 6 | CHA 4
If I can't dance, I don't want to be in your revolution.

I don't really have any experience with this, but I would say that your first move should be to make it clear exactly what you want. What are your goals: Do you want to loose weight, build muscle, run a marathon, learn to rock climb? What kind of exercise are you interested in? Bodyweight, circuits, strength training, 'fun fitness'? What don't you want to do? The more information you give the trainer the more they can tailor whatever they come up with to you personally.

Personally, I think you should save 2/3 of your money and buy Mark Rippetoe's book, Starting Strength. I am, however, a bit biased against personal trainers. If you do want to pursue that route, before you commit to anything, make sure your potential trainer can teach you the big compound lifts.

If you're going to be serious about strength training, you need to know how to Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press, and Overhead Press properly. If this trainer cannot do that, you should look elsewhere.

If you're going to be serious about strength training, you need to know how to Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press, and Overhead Press properly. If this trainer cannot do that, you should look elsewhere.

Agreed. Also, what Maegs said about being able to communicate your end goals.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

After you're sure your trainer can teach the lifts above - when you're in the session, make sure you work on form more than anything. If you can get form down mentally (and muscle memory) then going on your own will be a lot easier because you'll be a lot more confident.

100% agreed with this. My personal recommendation would be:

1. Start by reading some background literature on strength training, etc. - so you have an idea of how you're going to proceed before you start.

2. In the trainer session(s), focus entirely on form on the lifts you want to focus on - have the trainer teach and/or critique you.

The trainer I worked with for a couple sessions will every now and then offer me quick feedback after a glance at my form, which is helpful. Remember, LOTS of people can help you with ideas for putting a program together, but there's really no substitute for having someone who knows what they're doing give you personal attention when it comes to form/technique.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

If you are intereseted in strength, ask how many reps he/she recommends. Over 8, not about strength. Also if you can, spy on them before you sign up. Whatever they are doing everyday, is what they are going to want you to do.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

If you are intereseted in strength, ask how many reps he/she recommends. Over 8, not about strength. Also if you can, spy on them before you sign up. Whatever they are doing everyday, is what they are going to want you to do.

Yes, spy on them and how they interact with their clients. Do they

- seem to lift the same amount every workout? Or lift more?

- do the same routine as every other client they have? Or do they have individualized programs?

- Do they seem totally dependent on the trainer? Or can they show up and do the work on their own?

Honestly, every GOOD personal trainer will train you with the intent of letting you fly off on your own eventually. Trainers who want to have the same clients in perpetuity will not help you, are in the biz for the wrong reasons, and will probably convince you that the gym is the worst place in the world to be.

There are lots of articles out there that have very good metrics for choosing a personal trainer. Just take a look around :)

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Thank you for all of the advice! I did do some research, but I feel awkward when translating what I read or see into my own movements. This is why I'm leaning toward working with a trainer. I hope that by really focusing on what the "correct" forms feel like in my body, and by taking careful notes, I will be able to reproduce the movements later.

Personally, I think you should save 2/3 of your money and buy Mark Rippetoe's book, Starting Strength. I am, however, a bit biased against personal trainers. If you do want to pursue that route, before you commit to anything, make sure your potential trainer can teach you the big compound lifts.

notanartmajor, I will definitely try to take a look at Starting Strength. Unfortunately, the local public library system and two closest college libraries don't have it...

A wandering bard, learning from the Druids
August 6 through September 17 Challenge
June 18 through July 30 Challenge
STR 4.5 | DEX 6 | STA 6 | CON 5 | WIS 6 | CHA 4
If I can't dance, I don't want to be in your revolution.

Make sure she does a fitness assessment of you on your first session. She should be able to tell you from that exactly what you need to work on to not get injured as well as show you some stretches. That way when you do the compound lifts it will be MUCH easier to maintain proper form (muscle imbalances, I'm finding out, make correcting form a pain). The three things I would suggest is A. Get the assessment B. Make sure she shows you all of the good lifts mentioned as well as some others and C. Get all the information about why you are doing each lift out of her as you can. Ask questions the entire time so you can have enough base knowledge to be able to do it all on your own.

Also if you tell her you are trying to lose weight and she says "ok that means 15-20 reps for each set", run away as fast as possible. She has no clue whats shes doing if thats what she suggests.

2. In the first session, they're likely going to lead you through some exercises so they can see what your current abilities are. This is GOOD.

3. Tell the PT that you're interested in free-weights and bodyweight exercises (NOT machines; there's no machine exercise that can't be done better on your own - except maybe assisted pull-ups.

Use the sessions to get a good idea of where you're at and to get a plan together to get started with/enough base knowledge that you feel comfortable.

All 3 of those nuggets of advice are super. Whenever I'm training a new client, I always make sure to:

A) assess the starting point - how many squats can they do? (for that matter, how far down can they go and still be able to come back up), what is their starting weight for basic curls and lifts at 8-12 reps?, how fast can they walk/run before they hit their threshold? ... Your trainer will definitely need to show some concern about where you're coming from.

B) provide information about bodyweight vs. machine-assisted exercises. Unfortunately at the gym I work at, during the free session that all members are allotted, we are "required" to show them how to use the machines, but I will always advise them to do free weights or bar weights whenever possible so form doesn't suffer and their workout is efficient as possible. ... Hopefully your trainer will know the difference and the dis/advantages of both styles.

C) answer and field all questions the client may have, even providing some answers I anticipate them having in the future. Honestly, a good trainer (like me! wink!) will be there for you. Not for the money. They should be there to see that you get the results you're looking for and that you get them safely and effectively. This will call for lots of accurate, helpful information. ... Don't hesitate to speak up if you're concerned or confused.