Forums are back in action! ×

Awesome Vacation Destinations?

Anybody have any good destinations for a week trip in the summer? I have some vacation time that I want to road trip somewhere this summer with a friend of mine.

Kinda touristy but not like a foreigner going to NYC type of thing, not really my style. Something where I can relax but also have some cool stuff to do adventure wise/awesome scenery/a cool attraction or two.

Preferably on the Eastern side of the country but not against the West.

Ready? GO!

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead!" - Barney Stinson

"I don't care who you are, how cool you seem to be, how old you are, what title you have, or how much money you make. When a child hands you a toy phone and says 'It's for you.' you damn well better pick it up and respond with 'Hello?'."

Life is a marathon, treat every day like it's a sprint

I would suggest Denver. It's a good base camp for the larger city night life near the mountains for countless adventures. I love that part of the country and visit friends out there often.

Transformassacre Challenge

Current Goal: Weigh in at 200lbs or lower by May 2nd

Current Specs: 205lbs, ?? body fat (April 12th 2012)

Long term Goal:

-Meet a body fat percentage of 10% or lower by Sept 1st

-Be able to finish

Tough Mudder on Sept 8th

I hear Nashville is awesome and you can't beat it for nightlife. I love the Tampa area well for golf. Islands out of the question? Those are my favorites.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Adirondacks in New York state. Gorgeous in the summer time. Especially if you can get a place on on of the lakes (I've stayed at this place in Old Forge, NY before and it's fantastic: http://thekenmorecottages.com/ ), loads of hiking, water sports, and other outdoorsy awesomeness to be had.

The 1000 Islands area on the St. Lawrence River in New York are also pretty gorgeous. Clayton, NY is having this awesome little organic food revolution too, which makes eating there and enjoying pretty easy. Within easy distance of Canada for some day trips to Kingston and other places. Again, also opportunities for outdoor activities, mostly in and on the river, much less in the way of hiking, but there are some neat bicycle trails (roadside not trail-trails as there are in the Adirondacks).

I think Raleigh (and the Triangle - Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) NC would also make a pretty awesome vacation. I lived there for a while and loved it - lots to do, and only 2 hours or so from the beach if you want to make a day trip.

Philadelphia, PA is also pretty awesome if you've never been. Lots of historical things to see (Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, etc.) as well as many awesome museums (Franklin Institute, Philadelphia Museum of Art, Barnes Foundation, Rodin sculpture museum), the Philly Zoo, much nightlife and pretty awesome food (of any kind imaginable, almost). Philadelphia is also about 2.5 hours from the beach in New Jersey (but... beaches in New Jersey, well, they're not my favorite. You go for the boardwalk, not the water). It's also pretty close to Longwood Gardens which is gorgeous, and some other fun stuff around that area.

Philadelphia, PA is also pretty awesome if you've never been. Lots of historical things to see (Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, etc.) as well as many awesome museums (Franklin Institute, Philadelphia Museum of Art, Barnes Foundation, Rodin sculpture museum), the Philly Zoo, much nightlife and pretty awesome food (of any kind imaginable, almost). Philadelphia is also about 2.5 hours from the beach in New Jersey (but... beaches in New Jersey, well, they're not my favorite. You go for the boardwalk, not the water). It's also pretty close to Longwood Gardens which is gorgeous, and some other fun stuff around that area.

I second Philly! (okay, I live here) It's a great week trip - spend a few days in Philly and then drive down to Cape May, NJ - an awesome Victorian ocean town (no boardwalk, no Jersey shore). There is a huge bird sanctuary down there and you can ride the ferry to Lewes, DE (a nice ferry ride) - home of Dogfish Head Brewery! Awesomeness.

Also great - Philly to DC a few days in each place. Also some really great areas along the corridor in Maryland. I love St. Michael's and Rock Harbor.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Two words: New England.

Drive from Pitt to Newport, RI and enjoy the mansions, tennis hall of fame, and beaches. Cruise the bay on a sail boat, then enjoy dark & stormy's at one of the many restaurant/bars on the wharfs overlooking the bay. Then, bar hop the night away.

Then,

, only about an hour north. There is tons to do there. Need I really go over all of the positives of Boston?

Then, head up to the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Some of the best hiking and vistas in the world. Work your way into Vermont and back towards Pitt.

That's a road trip. ;-)

Current Challenge || Previous:: 2020 Reset

There are a ton of previous challenges that I'm not linking

"Freaking pansies. Go work out!" - The Art of Clineliness

Yeah, also gotta give props to Philly (yes I'm biased, it's the most awesomest city ever) if you like the history stuff and has a good pubby type of nightlife as well. Has some clubs, but that's not my thing so I don't know much about them. Also, it has me, which makes it 10x better.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Yeah, also gotta give props to Philly (yes I'm biased, it's the most awesomest city ever) if you like the history stuff and has a good pubby type of nightlife as well. Has some clubs, but that's not my thing so I don't know much about them. Also, it has me, which makes it 10x better.

And me. So that's another 10x's better. And clearly we both know where to workout....

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

My personal favorite is Hawaii - the perfect combination of lots of active stuff to do (scuba, golfing, hiking, zip-lining, etc), and not active stuff to do to (beaches, pools, spas, mai-tais) that my wife and I both stay happy. Oh yeah, and the weather is awesome. And the food kicks ass. I realize that totally doesn't fit the bill for a week long road-trip, but it's my favorite anyway ;)

Road tripping from Pittsburgh? Charleston or Hilton Head in South Carolina are good places to spend a week. Myrtle Beach is closer but it's a little too trashy/touristy for my tastes.

Hawaii was why I asked about the islands. It is quite easily my favorite place in the world and my wife had to drag me away from the career fair there on our honeymoon. if I had gone before I got married, I never would have come back.

500 / 330 / 625

I think Hawaii is out of the question. I was thinking the east coast. I like the idea of Charleston or Hilton Head but the whole going up north to Maine area seems awesome too. I'm trying to visit my cousin in Boston sometime soon so maybe I'll throw that into the mix as well. I'll try to figure stuff out soon and see if I'll be around any of your areas at all.

Anybody been to Virginia Beach recently? I was there when I was 8ish so I don't remember much.

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead!" - Barney Stinson

"I don't care who you are, how cool you seem to be, how old you are, what title you have, or how much money you make. When a child hands you a toy phone and says 'It's for you.' you damn well better pick it up and respond with 'Hello?'."

Life is a marathon, treat every day like it's a sprint

Two words: New England.

Drive from Pitt to Newport, RI and enjoy the mansions, tennis hall of fame, and beaches. Cruise the bay on a sail boat, then enjoy dark & stormy's at one of the many restaurant/bars on the wharfs overlooking the bay. Then, bar hop the night away.

Then,

, only about an hour north. There is tons to do there. Need I really go over all of the positives of Boston?

Then, head up to the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Some of the best hiking and vistas in the world. Work your way into Vermont and back towards Pitt.

That's a road trip. ;-)

This.

I second NE, for sure. I'm really fond of small towns in Maine in particular - York, Ogunquit, etc. I can't put my finger on why, but I just really love the vibe out there. Plus, best clam chowder EVER!

If you're doing the whole NE thing, it would be easy to add this to the itinerary.

Hawaii was why I asked about the islands. It is quite easily my favorite place in the world and my wife had to drag me away from the career fair there on our honeymoon. if I had gone before I got married, I never would have come back.

I feel the same way about Costa Rica. I could easily live out the rest of my days on the Pacific Coast/Nicoya Peninsula with a HUGE smile on my face. Amazing.

I'm a bit scared of Hawaii - too much amazing surf for my poor little brain to handle. Actually, I just peed my pants a little just thinking about it.

As a non-heavy surf goer, yeah, it's freaky. Add to that the coral and rocks underneath the waves where I am used to only sand, it got scary at times. This is however off balanced by the crazy awesome fish and sea turtles you see.

500 / 330 / 625

+1 for Savannah. Love going there. Its only a 3-4 hour drive from here so it is an easy weekend getaway. You can't beat all the B&B type places to stay. I love drinking beer at the super haunted brewery on Bay St.

The line is always out the door at Paula Deen's, never been there. But there is plenty of good food throughout town.

I think that Tybee is the nearest beach to here.

Hilton Head is only about an hour away from Savannah as well.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

I lived in Hawaii for 11 years, best time of my life. If you can afford it, it's definitely a great place to go. Have you thought about a cruise or something (I know you said road trip...you can drive to NY and then catch a cruise out of there)? They have trips to Puerto Rico and such all the time. You can usually find lines that match your tastes as well.

Maybe Miami/the Keys?

IDDQD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Current Challenge

Race: MALIETOA

Class: WARRIOR

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | STA: 1 | CON: 3 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 4

Road trip? Why not Canadia?

Especially since you're travelling in the summer. You don't know beaches until you've been to a pristine fresh water lake up north...

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!