Forums are back in action! ×

Bump!

So I didn't get out last weekend when the weather was beautiful, but we went on Saturday and braved the 38° weather. While I was warming up, I tried applying K-Star's external leg rotation to my golf stance (thanks Catspaw) - short answer, it's a winner. As soon as I set up over a ball, it was one of those "you dummy, why haven't you been doing this the whole time" moments - the stance was much more stable, and my lower half stays a lot quieter throughout the swing.

Anyway, considering I haven't gotten any range/practice time in yet, I really can't complain for the first round of the year. I made 6 pars, which is awesome, but also a lot of doubles and triples thanks to some short game gaffes (unsurprising). Anyway, out in 46, back in 49 for a 23 over 95. I'll take it.

I've been playing for a few years now, and i am not good at all. My goal for a while has been to break 100. Been close with 105. Personally, i don't carry a driver. I usually slice really bad with one. So instead, i use a 3 wood. A few less yards, but it's on the fairway more times than not. This year I really need to work on my short game i.e. chipping and pitching. It used to be a strenght, but it's really gone downhill. My favorite thing about golf is that there is always something new to learn, and there is always room for improvement.

I've been playing for a few years now, and i am not good at all. My goal for a while has been to break 100. Been close with 105. Personally, i don't carry a driver. I usually slice really bad with one. So instead, i use a 3 wood. A few less yards, but it's on the fairway more times than not. This year I really need to work on my short game i.e. chipping and pitching. It used to be a strenght, but it's really gone downhill.

You could tee off every hole with a 5 iron and score about as well. (Depending on how often you play, you should try it some time - it's a fun experiment). Unless you hit a lot of GIRs - a driver, or even a 3 wood, is pretty unnecessary. Of course, there's no fun in that, so I tee off with driver most of the time anyway ;). Anyway, the point is - you're right, if you want to improve your score, work on your chipping and putting.

My favorite thing about golf is that there is always something new to learn, and there is always room for improvement.

Ain't that the truth. Unlike pitching a perfect game, bowling a 300, throwing a 9 dart checkout, or running out a rack at the pool table - there's no such thing as a perfect round of golf. It is simultaneously one of the most tantalizing and frustrating things ever, but it always keeps you coming back for more.

I'm going to go today while my wife is in class.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf