Forums are back in action! ×

So two years ago I came to Nerd Fitness determined to fix a life-long frustration with being too skinny coupled with a bad back (kyphosis, compressed vertebrae, etc etc).  I started to exercise.  Went to the gym 4 days a week.  Saw a chiropractor.  Did physical therapy.  Started running.  Got up to 3-miles a morning.  I did Yoga.  Yoga!  Stopped with the fast food, pizza and beer.  Ok, stopped the fast food and pizza at least.  The point is I ate well.  And I was seeing results.  For the first time in my life, I was starting to not feel ashamed to take off my shirt.  

As the next step to leveling up my life, I decided to do a Spartan Race.  And I doubled-down on training.  Every day, twice a day.  And then, a week before the race - my back rebelled against me.  I don't know if it constitutes "throwing out my back" - all I know is that I was in more pain than I can remember, with crazy never-ending spasms.  I couldn't freaking move.  

I attended the Spartan race on crutches to watch my friends do the course.  And slowly over the course of many weeks, meds, and therapy - my back started to improve.  I had been straining it too much for too long until it went kaput.  I'm not proud to say that for a long time I lost all motivation to work-out.  After all, what was the point, if my back was always going to keep me from my goals?  

But I'm a more practical person than that.  I realized that I was too impatient, wanted to rack on more weight in the gym than was prudent, spend too little time stretching, and not being smart about how I was working out.

So this is my respawn.  I'm coming back - focusing more on bodyweight exercise to build up core muscles and protect my lower back.  Lower weight, more reps in the gym.  Being comfortable with slow gains.  And not ignoring the warning signs when my back is telling me to ease off.  I'm not going to let fear push me towards taking the easy route.

I'm doing that freaking Spartan this year.   

• Like 1

I have my own disabilities (lumbar scoliosis, arthritis) so I know exactly how it feels to throw something out because you pushed too hard too fast.  Major props to you for getting back on the horse, it takes determination.

That Spartan isn't gonna know what hit it!

• Like 1

"It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then."  ~Alice

You can do it, focusing on core muscles and slow gains sounds like a really great plan! When is the Spartan?

• Like 1

The Doctor: "I travel. Through time and space."

Donna Noble: "He saves worlds, rescues civilizations, defeats terrible creatures and runs a lot. Seriously, there's an outrageous amount of running involved."

You've got this thing!

By the way, I love the title referencing a Phoenix.  I have a tattoo on my right arm that says "Rebirth Through Fire" because a Phoenix is reborn through the flames, and I want to get a half sleeve on my left of the creature.  The idea that the tough times make me better always gives me strength and motivation.  

• Like 1

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply.  Willing is not enough, we must do."

--Bruce Lee

Hey Wantishi,

No I don't have the artwork for it yet.  Going to have a professional graphic designer do it, I really want it to look good.  Saving up the money right now, because between the design and the tattoo it won't be cheap, but I'm excited for it.  

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply.  Willing is not enough, we must do."

--Bruce Lee

Good luck.  I am recovering from a lumbar fusion at L3 through L5.  I suffered with back issues for nearly 3 years.  Tons of pain and weakness down my legs.  Had lose almost 200 pounds to be able to have the surgery.  Slowly getting back to my old training too.  Hoping to get into shape enough to run a triathlon this summer. 

On 1/6/2017 at 7:32 PM, Wantishi said:

Thanks guys!  The Spartan is is March.  Doing the Sprint (5 miles).  If it goes well, going to try to level up to a Super (10 miles) in June.  Because that seems ridiculous.

Cheers to the reboot, your mindfulness, and the determination to get back in the ring.  Good luck on your race(s)!

Current Challenge: TBD

Past Challenges: Road to Redemption  Spartan! 006 Triwizard Wonder (1/2) Bourne Foundations Storyteller

"Come stay a while and listen" - Deckard

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us." - Gandalf