Forums are back in action! ×

Hi !

I came by nerd fitness while researching goal setting . I am turning 39 and am ready to set real attainable goals to improve aspects of my life. 

I am very new to the idea of joining an online support system. I'm out of my comfort zone typing right now !!! 

I haven't taken care of my physical self like I should. My body is not very strong . My challenges are ;

machine strength train at YMCA 3x per week, step/ cyclefit 1x per week, pick a motivational quote at beginning of week and ponder for 5 mins when I wake, pick 2 dates for family game night. 

Hi @Hobbitron! Have you had a good look around the forum yet?  Your goals look achievable, and I love your "motivational quote" goal.

Have you considered how you want to track your progress? You could join in the current 4 Week Challenge if you want to get involved, meet people and get some accountability, or you could start a Battle Log if you just want somewhere to track your progress. 

Let me know if you need any help navigating the forum. ;) 

• Like 2

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Hi @Guzzi!

Thanks!

I read the NF how not to suck at goal setting article and immediately got going on my goals. It was addictive!!

I then created my NF character and my Epic quest. 

I have a pretty great day minder where I'm tracking my progress. I also took a "before" photo as motivation. 

I have my self set up for the 4 week challenge but unsure how to "officially" join. This is my first foray into the world of forums and online support system:) 

Thanks for reaching out 

Welcome! Pick a guild, I recommend Rangers, because we are awesome. But you could go with Rebels, or Warriors since you do weight lifting. Then post your challenge in the guild.That's all there is to it. Looks like you have some good challenge goals

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Wow! You were busy! ;)  Kudos on taking the "before" pic, that's something most people don't do but it's such a great motivator when you start to see changes in your body. You just don't notice them until you see them side by side, trust me. 

As for the challenge just make your own post in the Rebels area of the challenge sub-forum using the goals you have above, there's no official sign up sheet or anything. Make sure to add some tags so that people with similar goals can find you, and also make some posts on other people's threads too. That way they will, hopefully, do the same back. 

Id say to make sure you post updates regularly to keep the momentum up (it's very easy to drop out if you only post once a week) and to work with points rather than a pass/fail system, so that you don't get that "I've already failed! I might as well give up" feeling just because you miss one workout or something. 

Its also worthwhile checking out the accountability groups too, they're a great way of finding (and keeping in touch with) other members with similar interests. You could always start your own group if there's none that you feel is a good fit. Your group doesn't even need to be related to your goals either. You might want to start a group with other mothers, or christians, or libras... you get the picture. :D 

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Hi!  I am a total newbie too.  It sounds like we have some similar issues.  I am also 39 and really want to head into my 40s much healthier.  (Or just turn 29 every year.  Is that an option?)

You've got some great goals set.  I'll be glad to send over support! 

• Like 1

"Sometimes life is like this tunnel.  You can't always see the light at the end of the tunnel, but if you keep moving, you will come to a better place." - Iroh

On 2017-01-11 at 4:55 PM, Guzzi said:

Wow! You were busy! ;)  Kudos on taking the "before" pic, that's something most people don't do but it's such a great motivator when you start to see changes in your body. You just don't notice them until you see them side by side, trust me. 

As for the challenge just make your own post in the Rebels area of the challenge sub-forum using the goals you have above, there's no official sign up sheet or anything. Make sure to add some tags so that people with similar goals can find you, and also make some posts on other people's threads too. That way they will, hopefully, do the same back. 

Id say to make sure you post updates regularly to keep the momentum up (it's very easy to drop out if you only post once a week) and to work with points rather than a pass/fail system, so that you don't get that "I've already failed! I might as well give up" feeling just because you miss one workout or something. 

Its also worthwhile checking out the accountability groups too, they're a great way of finding (and keeping in touch with) other members with similar interests. You could always start your own group if there's none that you feel is a good fit. Your group doesn't even need to be related to your goals either. You might want to start a group with other mothers, or christians, or libras... you get the picture. :D 

Thank you @Guzzi I have posted my challenge in the rebel challenge sub forum !

• Like 1