Forums are back in action! ×

that awkward moment when...

Sending you a big hug and hoping you realize that everything happens for a reason...both breaking up and the idiocy of sending you an invitation.

You could go and have some fun, or simply decline. Not sure, cause you didn't say if you are even still close, but if you are not, do you feel the invitation was sent to simply piss you off or let you know he is fine? I think that how you are and how you feel is the most important thing here.

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

Screw etiquette! If it'll hurt to watch him marry another person, skip it. Especially if you know her personally. Send a nice card wishing them the best of luck and regret to inform the couple you are unable to attend as you already have plans for the day. Skip the gift. Spend the money on you at a spa day and gloat happily about it on facebook. Thats just me talking though.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Wake Your Dreams...

I actually invited an ex to my wedding...

But understand, he was a guy I dated in high school. We were friends before we dated, and after a few months of angry and a few more months of awkward, we worked it out and he is actually one of my closest friends now. Not inviting him would have felt way weirder than inviting him. He came, he had a great time. There are no hard feelings between us anymore.

If that's not the case for you, and I'm guessing it's not, I'd just send back your RSVP card with "regrets" and be done with it.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that leads to total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -Frank Herbert, Dune

It depends on the situation, really. I have an ex who I'm not really "close" with, but whom I still talk occasionally, and we usually send each other our regards on birthdays/holidays - really nice person, but the relationship just didn't work out for a variety of reasons. It sounds like this situation is a bit different. If you feel it'd be awkward to attend, I'd go with others' suggestion of finding a reason to be elsewhere on that day, and politely declining the invitation.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

It really depends in what your current relationship is and if you are close at all, the ex part doesn't have to come into it. The ex that i had the longest relationship with (8 months) other than my wife was actually a bridesmaid in our wedding because she is one of our good friends.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

It really depends in what your current relationship is and if you are close at all, the ex part doesn't have to come into it. The ex that i had the longest relationship with (8 months) other than my wife was actually a bridesmaid in our wedding because she is one of our good friends.

Exactly my thoughts. Some of my ex's are some of my best friends. There was obviously some quality in them that the relationship started with so why does that have to end when the love part goes away?? Not all mind you. If it was a bad breakup then I'd just be an adult about it, wish them all the best and not attend.

In training to be awesome! :highly_amused:

Ok background info:

We were together about a year, end of high school through first year of college. I found out he had been cheating on me almost every weekend with a number of different girls....yeah I wasn't sticking around. I didn't go as crazy on him as others--it was more of a "yeah, goodbye." He was much more upset than I was and would frequently text/call/etc. and I just ignored him.

That summer I spontaneously studied abroad and met my "rebound" who I've been with for almost four years now, and we've discussed marriage but we're currently long distance and it's just not the right time for either of us. Edit: We weren't always long distance, he was actually a student studying abroad in the same program as me, so we were together about 3 years before he moved across the country but we decided to stay together.

About two years ago I ran into him and he said he was single and not ready to be "tied down to any dumb girls" and dating me was the "biggest mistake." I just laughed and said something like "good to see you."

Wow. So now he's getting married. GOOD PLAN BRO.

I like the idea of skipping the gift (for sure!!!!) and spending the money on yourself :D

Seriously...why would he even invite you? Definitely sounds like he is trying to gloat or something. Ridic. What an ass.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

CalvinHobbes,

This depends on a couple of things. Are you still friends with this ex? Do you at least semi-regularly communicate or socialize? Have you met the soon to be spouse and are on good terms with them? If so then go and have fun as you would at any friends wedding.

However it does not sound like this is the case and I would respectfully decline.

Sincerely,

Squire Of Pitt

I think everyone is missing the big questions here...

What's on the menu and is there an open bar?

I went to an ex's wedding, it was a very nice ceremony and it caused her mother to damn near have a heart attack to see me there. Worth it, she never liked me..

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

What's on the menu and is there an open bar?

As always seth goes straight to the heart of the matter. :D

From what you describe CH I say ignore it completely. It doesn't seem to be worth your time.

Now, for what I would really do, because I am a childish a-hole, would be to leaving a bag of flaming poo on his doorstep, ring the bell, and run away.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I would just walk away to be honest. Never been invited to ex girlfriends weddings. I have one that is not married yet that maybe she would but I doubt it and I would not go.

Kinda funny slightly off-topic thing with that ex girlfriend though. Last year about this time she called me out of the blue( I don't have her number anymore, apparently she still has mine). She told me she was 7 months pregnant. The funny part was immediately the first thing though my head was when was the last time she and I had wellllll... yeah that was 4 years ago. I still had the thought of oh crap is it mine for a moment. She was not happy with my response of not being ecstatic for her.

LOL come to think of it...and realize I was very young when I got married and dated my husband for like 5 years all through the early 80's in college and then long distance...at least 2 of the girls who came for his side were ex-girlfriends and 3 I had "dated"....but it was no big deal.

He sounds like a total ass and you are lucky to be done with him...go with a hot guy and have a BLAST! or say F-it....

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

My wife and I were invited to my ex's wedding. She and my best friend thought it prudent to start dating a few months after we broke up and then invited me to the wedding a few years later. When we got it in the mail I told my wife I would send the RSVP with a polite decline, but she knows better lol.

In the end, we never replied, but if I had my way a response would have been sent explaining exactly why I would not be coming.

Yes, sometimes I am a child that holds grudges.

And it was a cash bar.

Dwarf Ranger STR 3 // DEX 2 // STA 2 // CON 4 // WIS 2 // CHA 2"It's Simple, so says the Captain;Face Forward,Move Slow,Forge Ahead.Onward! Onward! Onward!"