Forums are back in action! ×

Joined the Rebellion!

Hubs and I just signed up last night and I'm thrilled to give this a solid try. We wanted something to figure out where we were on the workout progression / scale and program strength training exercises appropriate to our levels of fitness. So far, this has been AWESOME.

I've been living primally (i.e., MarksDailyApple & Primal Blueprint) for 2.5 years at this point and know I will NEVER go back to the Standard American Diet. On January 2, I removed the final offenders from my diet: dairy, the last remnants of industrialized seed oils, and alcohol. I'll be doing this until  January 30th and then trying a reintroduction of alcohol and raw dairy (pasteurized / homogenized is gone forever and so too are industrialized seed oils). 

The things I've overcome so far still amaze me... but I'm ready to take it to the next level. I used to be obese, despite serious calorie deficits and monstrously difficult workouts. What conventional wisdom never communicated to me was that WHAT I'm eating and not eating, WHEN I'm eating and not eating, and how often / hard I'm working out are more important to the equation than how many calories I've put in or taken out of the equation. For details, read "Obeisity Code" and "Complete Guide to Intermittent Fasting," as well as "Deep Nutrition" and "Food Rules."

Now that I've finally found a good balance in my life and have my nutrition pretty much on lock down, my weight is healthy, my skin conditions are gone, my joints no longer hurt so badly every day that I have to live on Advil, and my mood has stabilized. But I want to take this a step further.

I want to be strong and fit.

Hubs and I tried CrossFit last July. We did it for four months but it was a total F-ing disaster. First, we were so sore we couldn't recover quickly enough to get back to the box within the same seven-day period. This was the case for at least the first month; after that we forced ourselves to work at a level lower than the coaches wanted us to. When we did that (against their wishes and advice) we could go twice in one week... which still fell far short of their 4-5 days per week volume. Second, there was a sort of contempt leveled at us when we communicated to the coaches that we felt we might need to be scaled down a little more, that we were having trouble recovering, that we were inflamed, sore and generally showing extreme signs of overtraining.

After four months of this nonsense - this constant conflict between what our bodies were saying (idiots - you're overdoing it) and what the CrossFit coaches were implying (idiots - you're not working hard enough), we broke off the membership. Both of us felt an immediate sense of relief. 

We spent about a month not doing anything other than gentle jogging (and I mean GENTLE) and walking. But we also both know that we need strength training, just the right VOLUME, INTENSITY, and SCALING.

And here is where NERD FITNESS comes in. I was googling "programming strength training" because I feared I'd have to do this for myself, and what I found instead was incredible. The sources of information here are spot on for nutrition, mindfulness, and etc. For strength training, I found far more information and detail in the videos and explanations and feel confident that the scaling options presented - just for me! - are right on the money. I'm really excited to get started with my first workout tomorrow.

YAY! I've joined the REBELLION!!!

Alice 

• Like 4