Forums are back in action! ×

Hey kids, wassup! l'm 27, at least 40lbs overweight, chronically inactive (save for the occassional 1,200km hike or 2,300km bike tour or two), the least flexible I've ever been in my life, not as strong as I'd like to be, and new rebel. I know how to meal plan and structure my diet to lose fat and gain muscle, I can cook, I understand at least the basic weightlifting I need to begin, I have a flexible schedule and am at the liberty to add workout time to my days....and yet.

I've come to the realisation that I will struggle to maintain self respect if I can't even muster the discipline to improve my health and quality of life. So here I am, hoping for some stern support, debate, discussion, and community. Aiming to get stronger, healthier, bendier, and to practice implementing strategies to meet both short and long term goals. I look forward to meeting you.

Cheers,

-R

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

I can definitely relate to wanting to get healthier, bendier, and setting goals to get there (although at 49 and maybe 15 lbs.to lose, our journeys will undoubtedly look very different). 

Also like you, I am a newbie at NF, so it seems a little odd to welcome you (as I am still sort of outsidery myself), but WELCOME (: 

BTW, you might check your conversions, unless your occasional hikes really are 745 miles (in which case, WOW!).

Thanks for the welcome! Our journeys may look more similar than you think: eating better and moving more. :)

And yes, I'm afraid those numbers are correct. In the last few years I've walked the Camino de Santiago on a lark, and biked through Germany, Belgium, and New Zealand. Balance in all things, eh? ;) 

Welcome to NF.

I'm not really good at the stern support, probably because I need some myself.

We are also very similar, except I'm almost double your age and my long distance hikes/bike rides are a lot more moderate.  I did spend a week cycling in New Zealand so we have that in common!

Skywalker

Progress woot: Skywalker's success

Character Profile:  Skywalker

Blog:  Just Get Moving

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!

Thanks guys, glad to be onboard! I'll admit, my trips tend to be more in the 'several months' range rather than days - but I'm lucky enough to still be young and unattached which allows for that kind of flexibility! But there's also a certain quality to longer treks that doesn't kick in for me until at least day 15; totally a personal marker, but less than that doesn't quite feel like an adventure anymore. :D

@dydy My first stupid-long hike/bike trips were done with absolutely zero preparation: sometimes you just need to give yourself permission to jump in the deep end. Bear in mind, I was always within at least one long day's walk from civilisation, so I took some calculated risks. Nothing has ever built up my fitness faster than a few weeks of 40km every day with 15kg on my back!

Welcome from a fellow newbie! Like you, I have most of the knowledge, and the flexible schedule to fit things in, and yet... I'm not very good at the stern support thing as I definitely need some myself! But, here's to you, and the rest of us newbies, finding the support and motivation we need to get healthy/fit!

Also, wowzas! Those are some long hikes/rides!

• Like 1