Forums are back in action! ×

Hi, I'm Becky. (Hi, Becky)

...and I've been a lazy bum for a few years now. I'll try to make this short, but I tend to ramble a lot, so I apologize in advance.

I'm a 21 year old college student in my senior year, graduating in June. While I was in high school, I was pretty active as part of the marching band and my parents were really good about feeding my sister and I actual healthy food. Going to college though, I didn't have an activity to force me to be active, I started eating the fried and processed stuff cooked on campus in portions larger than I would eat at home, and I got pretty busy and involved in my classes and friends and became basically sedentary with the exception of walking EVERYWHERE my freshman and sophomore years. Junior year, I moved off campus and had a car I could use, which cut down my activity level even more, even though I was (and am) still walking to and from classes, although my eating did improve. And of course, the less active I was, the larger my pant sizes had to go. At first I dismissed it as pants in the store being cut "wrong," but last year, I realized what size in jeans actually fit, about 2 sizes bigger than I was in high school (and I stopped growing in high school). The scale in the doctor's office was weighing me with clothes on, whatever, I had been able to ignore it until January.

In January, my dad had a heart attack. He's recovering well, but both my grandfathers have high blood pressure and other heart issues and they have both had multiple heart attacks. Having gone to the doctor a few times to check on some medical issues of my own, the doctor started commenting on MY blood pressure being a little high. Again, I'm awesome at denial, so clearly it was caused by me just having walked there, being stressed that day, whatever, it wasn't my fault. Guess what? It's my fault. Before I start having my own heart problems or serious weight problems, I need to get moving, start actually eating well (instead of "better" like I have been doing), and own up to my own mistakes. I got myself here, now it's time for me to get myself back.

My support system in the real world tends to be a little...unenthusiastic, so here I am because I need a support team to keep me going through the tough days (weeks, months...). If you're here for me, I'm here for you!

~Becky

Hi Becky, Welcome. :smug:

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

— Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Hi Becky! Buckeye by birth or are you going there for school now? I'm native Florida girl but I dated a buckeye fan and since then I just kinda like them. Craziest fans I've seen, in a good way. I'm also doing this pretty much solo and trying to date at the same time. Dates really don't understand when a girl just wants steak and the veggies.

You've found a great support system. This place has kept me going these last couple weeks when I would have given up on my own. So, welcome and look forward to seeing you around.

“Women are like teabags. You never know how strong they are till they get in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

MyFitnessPal Diary

Well, looks like I'm just a Human

STR 1; DEX 2; STA 1; CON 2; WIS 4; CHA 5

Bumblebee's Quest to Play!

Hey! Welcome =) I'm a newbie too but this place is so warm and welcoming you'll have no worries.

Hi, I'm Rose. I'm a wannabe freelance Illustrator/Character Artist with a Bachelors in Landscape Architecture. I'm a Graphic Design Student and I have bad eating habits.

Roselyn Shade

Half Elf Adventurer [wannabe Bard]

Level : 2

| STR: 4 | DEX: 4 | STA: 4 | CON: 3 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 8 |

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Lee - Starbuck, Battlestar Galactica

Challange | Sketchblog Tumblr | Portfolio

Hi Becky! I'm glad to hear your dad's recovery is going well!

I'm a 21 year old college student in my senior year, graduating in June. While I was in high school, I was pretty active as part of the marching band and my parents were really good about feeding my sister and I actual healthy food. Going to college though, I didn't have an activity to force me to be active, I started eating the fried and processed stuff cooked on campus in portions larger than I would eat at home, and I got pretty busy and involved in my classes and friends and became basically sedentary with the exception of walking EVERYWHERE my freshman and sophomore years.

This bit sounds exactly like me! First year (freshman?) was the worst for me, since after that I moved off campus so I had a bit more walking to do to get to school and go to the grocery store and what not. I've also got heart problems (and diabetes) in my family history on my dad's side, so for me that's a big motivator - I take after his family (it's ridiculous how much), so I know I have to do something to keep myself healthy. Let's keep each other motivated :)

Hi Becky! First off, congratulations of graduating soon! That's so exciting! When I finished college it was like the relief of taking off a heavy backpack, but 100x more!

College is definitely a minefield of unhealthy food. It's awesome that you've accepted that you need to make changes so that you can have a healthy and EPIC life. We're all here for you, so feel free to pick our brains and what not :saturn:

Dates really don't understand when a girl just wants steak and the veggies.

It's interesting that you mentioned this, Bumblebee4...I was wondering how this would play out on the dating scene. My guess, though, is that a date would like to see a girl ordering a steak!

And welcome, BeckyBuckeye!

"'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is." -- Josey Wales

It's interesting that you mentioned this, Bumblebee4...I was wondering how this would play out on the dating scene. My guess, though, is that a date would like to see a girl ordering a steak!

And welcome, BeckyBuckeye!

I don't want to hijack Becky's welcome but here's what I've found. Guys who are friends thinks it's awesome I like steak. But guys who might have a romantic interest in me seem to have stereotypes in their mind at first. First impression kind of thing. Just like we could meet a guy who has some hobby that is less than stereotypical guy stuff and to find it out right up front might make us wonder about him but finding it out after we know more about him it comes across as something that balances him out. Make sense? It really isn't a big deal I just try not to make too much mention that I don't eat grains etc because I'm on a "diet" because I'm really not it's just my way of eating but I hate trying to explain it to practically strangers. People have a lot of opinons about eating I've found.

Ok back to Becky's welcome. Go Buckeyes!

“Women are like teabags. You never know how strong they are till they get in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

MyFitnessPal Diary

Well, looks like I'm just a Human

STR 1; DEX 2; STA 1; CON 2; WIS 4; CHA 5

Bumblebee's Quest to Play!