Forums are back in action! ×

Ah, jikoshokai time again

Hi there. It always seems to be around this time of year that I start something new. In the last four years, that's been in Japan, so it's probably tied to the school year cycle... 'Jikoshokai' means 'self-introduction', so here goes. I'm 29, I'm Scottish, and I live in Japan with my fiancee, @JupiterStar, who is American. (Go read her intro for more details about our living situation, her health, why we can't just join a gym, etc.) I've never been a 'fitness person', and I guess that's starting to hit me now that I've left 25 in the dust. My jeans size keeps creeping upwards, and the aches and pains are becoming more frequent. My fiancee had some severe health issues a few years ago that put her back to square -5, and she really wants us to become healthier, both diet and fitness wise, so I'm trying to support her in doing that, with the added incentive of it having benefits for me too. The thing is, I really hate exercising. I have asthma. I have depression and ADHD. Like, really bad ADHD, and they don't prescribe ritalin in Japan; their non-stimulant type does nothing for me, so now I'm unmedicated. Luckily I have something for the depression, but it's not a cure-all. So these all together, along with a general level of unfitness, mean that starting to exercise ... really, really sucks. Everything hurts. I can't go very fast. I can barely do a sit-up, can't do a proper push-up, and we joined an aerial gymnastics class together that seems to highlight to me just how out of shape I am. I have a chronic foot pain thing, my shoulder has been acting up for weeks, and I get a sharp headache whenever I exert myself... I get discouraged by the smallest negative thing, and my brain just goes "Ah well, I guess we're not cut out for this. *shrug* Let's have some chocolate." And it's hard to ignore my brain. Exercising is so boring to me. I have such trouble convincing myself that I have to do this thing that is boring and painful and tiresome and doesn't give me results quick enough. So, I need some help with that. (Help me Obi Juan whoever the f*ck you are, you're my only ho) There, have some nerdy stuff, it's been lacking. I mean, I'm more of a Trekkie, but anyway. I don't really get all the DnD/adventure things, but I like other geek stuff - British sci-fi, like Doctor Who (and if anyone here knows the original Tomorrow people, I will talk your ear off!), I like Marvel movies, stand up comedy, sim-type management games (obsessed with Prison Architect right now, anyone else?), and horror movies if they're funny (Shawn of the Dead, yes, Dawn of the Dead, no), and in the non-franchisey side of thing, I enjoy baking, cross-stitching, gardening and learning Japanese Sign Language. 

So basically, I don't like exercise, I want to support my fiancee in getting healthy, help me please?

• Like 1

Hey!!!!  Another Scot!  I'm from the west coast (Fort William) but I live in Shetland these days.  Where are you from?

Sorry to hear about your own health problems, and @JupiterStar's.  That makes it really difficult to get started on getting healthier, huh?  Have you considered starting to introduce gentle walking into your routine?  Now don't look at me like that, I'm not (that) crazy. :P  People always think that getting fit/healthy has to involve vigorous exercise, but walking is a really good form of exercise, and it doesn't make you all "out of breath and feeling like you're about to barf" like most other exercises. 

It could help you build up your fitness and stamina so that when you do something more vigorous you don't feel as bad.  Plus you can put your headphones in, listen to some music, a podcast, an audio book, or hold hands with your fiancé and spend some quality time together. 

Have you guys (girls!) had a good look around the forum yet?  Do you need any help/advice?

Lots of people enjoy the whole RPG aspect of creating their own character, joining a Guild, writing out their Epic Quest.  But don't feel like you have to do any of that shit if it's not your thing, you can be just as involved and get just as much out of the forum without doing any of that.  

The biggest (free) tool that the site offers (obviously you can sign up to one of the programs if you want) is the 4 Week Challenges.  They run every 5 weeks (four on and one rest week) and they follow a simple format.  You set yourself 3 goals that you want to achieve over the course of the 4 weeks, make them into SMART goals, decide how you're going to grade your progress, then do it!  Here's a link to all the info about it. 

If you find other menbers with similar goals or interests then you can post on their thread and hopefully they will support you in return.  You soon build up a support network, and it's a lot harder to quit when you know that other people are supporting you.  It's the best way to really get involved with the community, and it really helps you to break down your goals into small, manageable chunks.  

If you decide that you want to join in then remember this one thing: most people fail their first challenge because they try to bite off more than they can chew.  Don't try to change too much all at once, aim small with your goals because the real idea is to try and introduce permanent change through building new habits.  The smaller the change, the more likely you are to keep it up for the whole challenge after which it's practically habit and it's no problem to keep doing it. 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Hi @Guzzi, I'm from Glasgow! Thanks for your advice :) We do walk quite often in our daily commutes, however there are some impediments, like foot pain, etc. Got some arch supporting insoles recently that are helping with that... Mostly of my trouble with exercise and finding a supportive community comes from not following through with stuff, and forgetting to reply to people (which turns into anxiety that it's been too long and replying after too long is embarrassing, stupid brain), and getting distracted by time-wasting stuff. I'll try to join the challenge thing when it starts up again.

Yay!  Another west coast-er!  There's far too many folk on here from Edinburgh way.  (Boo!  Hiss!) ;) 

I'm sure you'll find the support you're looking for around here.  This is possibly one of the most supportive, encouraging communities on 'tinterweb.  I hope you enjoy being a part of it. :) 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously