Forums are back in action! ×

Do you own your things or do they own you?

I've been thinking about this - our society has shifted to almost complete disposability and a reliance on others to fix your stuff.

Something wrong with your car? Check engine light comes on. Gone are the days of temperature, oil pressure, and voltmeter gauges that you could use to actually diagnose an issue.

Something wrong with your iPhone? It uses proprietary screws so you can't use a phillips or flathead to open the case. Oh, and opening it yourself voids your warranty.

Buy a computer from dell? It has a sticker you have to break to open the case that states you're voiding your warranty.

Buy anything remotely electronic from a big box store? They'll try to upsell you on a 1, 2, or 3-year replacement plan for accidental damage.

No one fixes anything anymore, and if you wanted to do it yourself, you have to jump through hoops to even start the basics.

I challenge the men's guild to find something that they own and figure out how to fix it yourself.

Bonus points for taking something apart and putting it back together. More bonus points if 1)you don't have parts left over and 2) it still works.

If you got a flat tire, could you change it on the roadside?

If your ceiling fan broke, could you determine if it was the ballast, a seized motor, or an bad wire connection?

Can you diagnose a dead power supply vs RAM, hard drive, or motherboard?

Can you fix a running toilet?

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

When I saw the topic I was thinking more philosphical. "Does the drive to get new/better things consume me" or "I'm happy with what I have but wouldn't mind/don't need more".

When I was learning to actually follow my budget I'd convert things into hours. Like I currently work 22 hours a month to pay my rent, 7 hours a month for my car payment, 3 hours for my cell bill etc. It helped me put a little bit of perspective on what I was spending money on. It also made the question of "Do I really need a new PC/TV/stereo?" more concrete if I looked at it as hours of my life vs the item/activity in question. At the time I was also struggling with the realization that money has no intrinsic value. It's just paper. It's our willingness to accept that it has value that makes it so.

If your ceiling fan broke, could you determine if it was the ballast, a seized motor, or an bad wire connection?

Yes, yes, yes.

The last trip we took with our RV (a 38' 5th wheel that we live in), I changed 2 tires (bubbles on the sidewalls, not blowouts, praise God).

The main slide out was leaking. I fixed it.

The bed sagged. I fixed it

The black water tank (sewer), didn't rinse right. I worked around it.

The brakes didn't work right, rewired them, then rebuilt the brakes.

I've been identified in the RV park where we live as Computer Jim.

I've remodeled or repaired 3 houses (the last one we had was a foreclosure that we bought).

On the other side, moving into the RV was part of working on minimalizing our possessions so they don't own us. Also so we have less space (about 280 square feet) so we are less tempted to accumulate stuff. And since we move the trailer on average about once a month, we definitely keep it light. (We're on the way to Austin, TX from Houston from now til Wednesday). Most of the stuff that "matters" to me, I've virtualized and shoved into "the cloud" in one way or another.

Not only that, both of our boys can rebuild engines (one is a trained diesel mechanic, the other is self taught), weld, and build almost anything. One of them is an accomplished finish carpenter. All 3 of our daughters have taught their husbands/boy friends how to fix stuff. The youngest told her boyfriend "You're NOT going to pay someone else to change the oil in your car".

The boys got their start when I was too busy to work on a car. I came home and they had pulled the engine after reading Chilton's. "Dad, will you get the part now?" "If I do, will you put my car back together?". They were about 12 and 14 at the time.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

I purposefully buy Dell computers because they are happy to send me parts so I can fix my own computer while it is under warranty. I built my desktop and HTPC from parts. I am the go to IT guy for my friends and family now, so I'm pretty sure I've got anything a computer throws at me covered.

I've fixed a flat tire. I've fixed a running toilet. The only thing I haven't done on your list is to fix a broken fan. I feel confident that I would be able to at least diagnose the issue, though, if the problem ever did arise.

Marsupial Assassin - LVL 3

STR 10 || DEX 3 || STA 5 || CON 8 || WIS 11 || CHA 7

Fitocracy || MyFitnessPal

I take pride in the fact that I can basically fix anything, but cars. Cars annoy the crap out of me to work on. But I build my own computers, just redid my bathroom a couple years back, including redoing all plumbing, electrical, and replacing the subfloor and some studs (all the drywall). I never have to "call people".

Though if a circuit board fries, even though I'm perfectly capable of soldering (and have a soldering gun), I generally just replace it instead of trying to hunt down the broken piece, though there are exceptions to this.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

No one fixes anything anymore, and if you wanted to do it yourself, you have to jump through hoops to even start the basics.

So true. It's a throwaway society now. I used to be able to wire a plug, but now I can't. They're all moulded shut.

I challenge the men's guild to find something that they own and figure out how to fix it yourself.

Bonus points for taking something apart and putting it back together. More bonus points if 1)you don't have parts left over and 2) it still works.

Heh. I've done that with the desktop computer before, though "taking apart" can only really go so far with that. I am responsible for all flatpack furniture in the house, and I even do the thing my partner always skips where I count and sort the parts out first.

1. Probably. I know how, but have never had to.

2. I don't have a ceiling fan. But I don't tend to mess with the wiring in the house (not my decision!)

3. I think so. Again, never had to.

4. You mean one of those where the flush keeps going without stopping? I think I have.

I'm certainly able to rewire the fusebox, change lightbulbs, hang pictures, paint walls, check the car's oil and unjam the office photocopier.

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

Haha... as the 2nd poster responded, I thought you were trying to go philosophical with this one XD

I don't have much stuff since I'm still a poor college student. Not even a vehicle. But, I can tentatively change the oil on my sister's vehicle which I borrow from time to time (I say tentatively because I haven't done it in a while since she usually does it herself so I'd probably have to look up how to do it again)

I didn't use to know how well to control my computer, but now that I live with two Computer Science majors I've gotten good at it. When I got a terrible virus during the summer last year I wiped my whole computer and did a custom re-install so now I know and have put specifically everything on my computer necessary (combined with my customizations like partitioning the hard-drive and whatnot) so considering that is the most advanced piece of equipment I own I guess I'm on top of my stuff ^.^

I also did the all wiring in my basement a couple years back (about 10 outlets and some other Ethernet lines and phone line stuff), then they had an inspector come and check it and he found no problems so I'm not that bad at wiring if it ever came up.

Yes yes yes and yes. When I was in college I had a car shop with my friend where we would do all kinds of engine modifications, rebuilds, and swaps (my favorite being a 10 second Datsun 240Z). The Duc's mods were all done in my garage as well. I also worked in the Circuit City version of the Geek Squad and am now a sys admin, so I'm no stranger to fixing computers.

I don't have anymore engines to rebuild, so my days now are consumed by normal home maintenance and bicycle repair.

I would really like to get into woodworking and carpentry...perhaps one day....

2/13/12

Starting Primal and free weights

10/02/12

Starting LeanGains. Still lifting all the things.

Fitocracy

I fixed the vacuum a few months ago. How I actually bent the cylinder with the brushes on it, I'll never know. Was a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a new vaccuum too, the spare part only cost like $12.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Yes, yes, yes, maybe.

Does taking a Rubik's cube apart and solving it around 5000 times in the past half year count?

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

Do you get bonus points if you take something apart, put it back together, DO have parts left over, and it still works?

Seems to me you would have mucho extra bunches of extra credit points!

Boy I feel silly posting in the men's guild but some of these are just TOO good to pass up.

Or maybe I'm just obsessed with NF :(

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Fixed tyres after motorway blowouts. Okay, the second time I fell foul of wrong-threaded nuts and tried undoing them with a sledgehammer, but still.

Ceiling fans are for the weak. I've diagnosed and fixed faulty storage heaters.

I work in IT, so pff, you even ask?

Replaced my entire bathroom back to the cave structure after a leak revealed amazing rot. Lived like a hobo out of public restrooms and gym showers until it was connected. For extra man points, I haven't decorated yet, years later...

Then again, I hate working on cars. Bicycles I love, always have, but cars are just devices waiting to shaft me up the arse (and wallet) without even a polite hello. I don't see why I should have to be an expert on every consumer gadget's guts to be a useful user: it's a choice. So, yeah, bring on the big red "come fix me" button on the dash.

I can fix my JEEP easily, I built it myself so I know everything in it. Newer cars can be figured out, though for a lot of stuff I just send it into my mechanic. Change a tire? Really people don't know how to do that? I can work on a ceiling fan. Bicycles are easy, especially compared to building a JEEP. I can weld stuff back together( generally successfully). I know how to do machining work including building a fly reel. I will say most electronic equipment I just toss when it dies, more work then it is worth to fix.

Yes,

Yes, I haven't attempted it, but I'm certain that I can try to fix it, if unsuccessful, buy a new one/new parts and fix it that way,

I haven't tried this one, so it's a no, but I do plan on building my own computer in the future,

Yes! I've even fixed a clogged toilet and sink, even replaced one.

I used to own a Ford T-Bird, that broke down numerous times! I can change everything from Oil, to Spark Plugs, to even the entire Transmission module all using the Chilton's, If I needed to do more, I'm certain that with the book, I can do it with confidence!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

I used to do a lot of car repairs myself. I just don't have the time anymore and getting rid of old oil is a pain. It's so much easier to drop the car off at the shop...plus they are still under warranty and I don't mess with that. Now when they are out of warranty, I may go back to doing oil changes myself. I rotate the tires every 10k myself.

I've done most electrical repairs myself (power plant engineer...I better know electricity), remodeled houses (father was a carpenter) and I do all my own bike maintenance. I have 3 boys so our garage has 7 bicycles and 4 dirtbikes. I race mine and have lots of work to do that would cost a small fortune if I couldn't do it myself. There are some specialty things I don't do like rebuilding shocks.

Oh ya, and I trouble shoot all my own computer problems and I even built this computer myself so I could play Battlefield 3. Bought all the standalone parts, put it together and miracuously, it worked.

I know this is the men's guild but.... I've never changed a tire. I think I'm going to challenge myself to learn more about this stuff. I've always wanted to.

You know what I've always wanted to learn to do? Weld. My grandfather was a blacksmith back in the old days and then a welder when he moved to North America. I've always admired metal work. Where the heck would I learn this though?

I wish I lived on a huge piece of property with a shop. You've inspired me.

(Sorry for busting in to the men's club. :) )

In training to be awesome! :highly_amused: