Forums are back in action! ×

Hey NF members, I'm Alex, a 16 year old geek.

I have always been around computers since a young age because my dad works in the IT field, specifically network security. Because of this, I've been raised sitting at my computer desk, surfing the internet, playing games, etc.. However, I have always had a pretty balanced life when it comes to fitness and physical activity. I've been playing basketball for eight years straight now both in competitive club leagues as well as school ball. I have finally come to the tough decision of hanging up my sneakers though to start training for my newly found interests, parkour, freerunning and tricking.

Anyways, the reason I've joined NF is the fact that despite how much I work out and exercise, I never see a lot of results because I eat way too much and it's never healthy food either. I've joined this community so I can learn the ways of proper diet and nutrition. I'm tired of being the guy that everyone is surprised to see being so strong because there's a good layer of fat covering my muscle... I want to be the guy that is clearly strong and takes good care of his body, and I'm hoping NF can help me out. :)

Good for you, Alex! It's great that you're making changes for the good so early in life. I wish I had given myself that kick in the pants when I was your age. People have always been surprised to see my hidden strength too. Glad to have you here. If you have any questions, definitely don't be afraid to ask. Welcome!

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

Thanks guys, I appreciate the warm welcome!

I've already targeted my main weakness, eating, and more specifically on the weekends. Because I'm at school and basketball during the entire week, I don't have time to sit around and eat, but come the weekend, I'm at the computer and I'm one of those people that enjoy eating when they're bored or just chilling at home. I'm trying my hardest to break this habit and once I do, I think I'll be able to really do well in terms of eating well, that, plus gaining some knowledge and what exactly to eat that will benefit me the most.

My husband has this problem with chips; I have this problem with beer. Although I'm guessing that at the tender age of 16 you don't drink beer, I can totally relate. Let me know when you figure out a solution, 'cause all these extra calories are killin' me ;)

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Well, it's not so bad to snack, but try to switch them out for healthy snacks... celery, carrots, almonds (not too many if we're watching calories), lower-sugar fruits, boiled eggs, etc. I've had to kind of do that... when I get the munchies while sitting in my office, it can be quite a feat to resist the vending machine if I don't have snacks on hand.

EDIT: I've also taken to drinking a lot of tea. Maybe not the BEST thing for me, but I find it difficult to just drink water.

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Well, it's not so bad to snack, but try to switch them out for healthy snacks... celery, carrots, almonds (not too many if we're watching calories), lower-sugar fruits, boiled eggs, etc. I've had to kind of do that... when I get the munchies while sitting in my office, it can be quite a feat to resist the vending machine if I don't have snacks on hand.

EDIT: I've also taken to drinking a lot of tea. Maybe not the BEST thing for me, but I find it difficult to just drink water.

Yeah, I have been eating a lot of almonds and fruit lately, substituting them in for the usual unhealthy snacks I used to eat during the day.

As far as drinking goes... I drink water all day every day but after awhile I get to that point where I need something else and I don't have a lot of healthy alternatives. It's also hard for me to get the right things to eat and drink when they aren't already in my pantry because I can't drive yet... As long as I pass my test on the 10th though, I should then have my license and whenever I need something I can go get it, thank goodness. What are some healthy drink alternatives to water? I'd drink things like hot chocolate and lemonade as my house has a surplus of the two but I know those can't be that healthy.

Alternatives to water - I drink tea, coffee, unsweetened coconut milk (So Delicious brand), coconut juice/water after workouts (it's sweet, so should be used fairly sparingly and having a little bit of natural sugar as either a beverage or fruit/starch after a workout is great for helping to replenish your glycogen stores in your muscles), at a stretch you'd probably be okay having a little bit of no-sugar-added organic fruit juice. Hm hm hm.... I wish there were more options to give, but it is pretty limited. If you really wanted something like hot chocolate, you might have to look into making your own by melting dark chocolate (70% cocoa or higher, no dairy, low sugar) and adding coconut milk. And adding lemon to water can at least make it more interesting, but lemonade usually has a lot of sugar in it too. The best way to find out if something's suitable to what you're trying accomplish with your diet is to check the label. If it says it has cane sugar or corn syrup, it's probably out. If the grams of carbs as sugar are pretty high, it's probably out. If it has a ton of fake stuff, it's probably out. I've definitely had to learn to look at labels.

Ah yeah, that's what I've been trying to learn really well is reading labels and deciding what's good and what isn't.

I'll probably stick with water for now since there's always an endless supply, haha. I might try tea a couple of times though to see if I like it.