Forums are back in action! ×

and why seven-year-olds get shot in the middle of the street, and yes, I've seen it happen. You want to blow someone away in your apartment or home for breaking in and threatening your family, great, we can mostly agree on that one. But gunfire over a CAR? In public? Ahhh... no, I cannot in any way see how that rises to a necessary legal protection. At least just have the courtesy to run him over instead. Messier but safer for those around you.

Assuming it's a large caliber, the bullet will get lodged in the body... so, assuming there's no missing happening, everyone around is safe. As for not necessitating legal protection, it's my property the guy is trying to steal. Doesn't matter if it's a car or a toy truck. Legally speaking, it's mine. As long as the thief is at the age of responsibility (an adult), I see no problem with shooting him. A 7-year-old is usually not a threat and it's his parents who are responsible. While it's not okay to go shoot the parents for the 7-year-old's actions, legal recourse is warranted.

Just to add another opinion to the mix. I carry a concealed gun. The only time it isn't on me is when I'm at work at the school, or when I am at home where it just down the hall and I can make it to that gun in less than ten seconds. While I do carry, it is not for personal defence. I will only use it for myself when I have no other way to get out of the altercation. If I can get away from a situation, albeit hurt but not mortally so, then I will take that risk. But the moment my life is in danger, then I will not stop my response until I am sure that my intended target is no longer a threat. If it is dead, so be it, and if it is wounded and unable to retaliate, then that is better. This is actually not how the court usually sees it, but I'm not a court.

What I do carry for is for defence of others. I will not hesitate to use a tool if I feel that another person's life or physical well being is in question.

Assuming it's a large caliber, the bullet will get lodged in the body... so, assuming there's no missing happening, everyone around is safe. As for not necessitating legal protection, it's my property the guy is trying to steal. Doesn't matter if it's a car or a toy truck. Legally speaking, it's mine. As long as the thief is at the age of responsibility (an adult), I see no problem with shooting him. A 7-year-old is usually not a threat and it's his parents who are responsible. While it's not okay to go shoot the parents for the 7-year-old's actions, legal recourse is warranted.

It may be a large caliber, but if it is overpowered (such as a .500 S&W Magnum) then it will go clean through center mass of a person. Or, if it is smaller but the wrong type of round (.380 ACP in Full Metal Jacket as opposed to Hollow Point) then the round will not expand and despite being of a lower power round than many people would consider safe to carry will also go clean through center mass. So, there is no guarantee that your chosen round will stop inside the first thing you hit... or the second... or even the third. Hell, your round might get lodged in the sweater that granny is knitting after it passes through her, the wall to her house, and the kid trying to jack your car. Weirder things have happened before.

One thing that I haven't seen anyone mention are the 3 necessities for the judicious use of deadly force. I haven't read the full article yet, but it seems like good reading to me. But in short, the 3 necessities are (as I learned them in my Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy certified course)

1. Reasonable fear of jeopardy
  2. Disparity of force
  3. Immediate ability to do harm

By disparity of force, I mean is the aggressor(s) capable of causing more damage than if the situation was reversed (you being the aggressor, them defending). i.e. a large body builder vs. a frail little granny, or 6 men in early 20s against a mid-30s out of shape desk jockey.

Please excuse the rant, but proper use and knowledge and training of weapons is really high on my list of need to know knowledge. So much so that I am currently saving up to be able to take the necessary courses to become a NRA certified handgun instructor and concealed carry trainer.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1