Forums are back in action! ×

What music gets your blood pumping?

Iron and Soul says about how Henry Rollins listens to ballads when he works out.

But that's not what everyone does, or what everyone should do. It's very much a subjective thing. So, what do you listen to while you work out?

Personally I go for super upbeat music while I work out, with a few exceptions. I can't listen to any funny stuff (lookin' at you, flight of the conchords) or else I'm too busy laughing to breath during reps. Scatman and Scatman's World are pretty much my most played, since they're so dang motivational!

I usually throw on my Pandora Marilyn Manson station so I get a mix of Rob Zombie, System of a Down, Type O Negative, Powerman 5000 etc and for somedays it's all Techno but for cool down or a walk around the neighborhood it can be anything like Green Day, Sarah McLachlan, Flyleaf, Cherry Poppin Daddies.

“Women are like teabags. You never know how strong they are till they get in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

MyFitnessPal Diary

Well, looks like I'm just a Human

STR 1; DEX 2; STA 1; CON 2; WIS 4; CHA 5

Bumblebee's Quest to Play!

Lol, my warm-up music is all about the beats, and I'm not ashamed to admit it: "Sexy and I know it" LMFAO, plenty of Rihanna, Kat de Luna, "Shake Your Pom Pom" Missy Elliot, "Judas" lady gaga, "Like a G6" Far East Movement, Pitbull, some Reggaeton, Shakira...things like that ;)

<--<< Daughter of Artemis >>-->

Ha. I was just thinking, on my drive home from work, that I should post something like this.

When I'm doing my bodyweight exercises, I just put spotify on. When I'm running, I will put whatever new music I like with a couple of classics. My current playlist for running is

Lovage - Stroker Ace (for the 5 minute warmup walk)

LMFAO - Sexy and I know it

LMFAO - Party Rock Anthem

AWOLNATION - Not Your Fault

Daft Punk - Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas - Carry on My Wayward Son

Gotye - Somebody That I Used to Know (for the 5 minute cooldown)

CCR - I Heard it Through the Grapevine (for the 10 minutes of stretching)

Normally, I don't like LMFAO-type stuff but I think they are freaking hilarious and it's got a good beat. Carry on My Wayward Son is at the end of the run because it gives me the strength to carry on. Daft Punk should be obvious to everyone here.

Marsupial Assassin - LVL 3

STR 10 || DEX 3 || STA 5 || CON 8 || WIS 11 || CHA 7

Fitocracy || MyFitnessPal

Any music with some kind of catchy rhythm behind it of any genre. I love almost all music. Just not the commercial stuff I hear on the radio all the time....

I pay attention to complex drum lines and rhythms that I can stomp or move my head too.

I listen for individual instruments as well and it's not uncommon for me to play some air drums or air guitar while I'm running.

Marsupial Assassin - LVL 3

STR 10 || DEX 3 || STA 5 || CON 8 || WIS 11 || CHA 7

Fitocracy || MyFitnessPal

I've got a little bit of everything on my gym playlist. Dropkick Murphys, Ludacris, Yonder Mountain String Band, Arcade Fire, B.B. King, The Black Angels, I could go on and on ha.

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

I'll play anything that drowns out the music at the gym. Usually it's my Linkin Park or System of the Down station on Pandora, but sometimes I'll go with the "Angry Girl" hits from Pink, Alanis etc.

My iPhone got screwed up a while back so the only music in my own library is Bad Meets Evil....ohhhh how I love that Marshal Mathers.....

LMFAO for sure: Party Rock Anthem, Sexy and I know it

Daft Punk: Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger and most of the Tron Soundtrack.

Dj Earworm's: United States of Pop 2009

ELISA: Real Force

The Pillows: Ride on Shooting Star

Fripside: Only My Railgun

Michael Jackson: Black or White

Pretty much my entire mp3 is either made just right for stretching, working out, or cooling down.

My faaaaavvvvoorite cool down song:

RahXephon: La, la Maladie du Sommeil

I'll use anything with a good beat to it. Last time it was Abba. :)

I mused a little about this on my blog, actually. Can recommend "Gin Soaked Boy" by the Divine Comedy, but I think tonight I might go with some of the upbeat tracks by my friend Mark Sheeky. "Mice" and "China Syndrome" are both very upbeat!

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

Pantera "Walk" that is the definative Heavy Metal song.

KISS "Shout It Out Loud".

Iron Maiden "The Trooper".

Judas Priest "Breakin' The Law"

AC/DC "Big Balls"

Twisted Sister "We're Not Gonna Take It"

Motley Crue "Shout At The Devil"

Poison "Nothin' But A Good Time"

Van Halen "Unchained"

Motorhead "Ace of Spades"

LA Guns "Electric Gypsy"

W.A.S.P. "I Wanna Be Somebody"

Metallica "For Whom The Bell Tolls" (since the intro is bass and I'm a bass player)

Cheap Trick "Dream Police"

Rolling Stones "Paint It Black"

Marilyn Manson "Beautiful People"

Testament "Souls of Black"

Metal Church "Start The Fire"

Accept "Balls to the Wall"

Sammy Hagar "I Can't Drive 55"

yup...those work for me

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

I find what I listen to varies depending on what kind of exercise I'm doing.

For frantic high intensity cardio I like it to be reflected by the music so Rustie has been my go-to HIIT soundtrack.

When running for 10k or so I like something steady and repetitive so motorik type krautrock like Neu! Or maybe some minimal techno. I find it's good to keep pace to when it's essentially the same beat for 10 minutes plus. Ricardo Tobar and James Holden are current favourites.

When lifting I either like to macho it up with some metal, think it was Liturgy last time or space out to something fairly ambient like Emeralds or Fennesz which might sound odd but I find the meditative qualities of it quite appropriate.

So yeah, a mixed bag really...

Stuff like:

Yes, yes, and more yes!

My favorite of theirs is Ghost Love Score, but I have an entire playlist dedicated to Nightwish!

Also, Nemo is the song I listen to when I attempt a new PR :-)

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*