Forums are back in action! ×

WTF? Why am I the only girl in my gym lifting weights?

The Baylor women's basketball team this year had a fairly 'bulky' 6'8" center.

6'8" and 208# is NOT bulky

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

That article is ridiculous. First of all, 8-10 reps is not low rep training. Second, a bigger muscle does not mean it is stronger. As someone else already pointed out, the author doesn't understand the difference between bodybuilding and strength training. In fact what the author is recommending (15-20) reps is actually what bodybuilders do for hypertrophy (increasing muscle size.) And anyone who uses the phrase "firm and toned" should be immediately dismissed as a hack!

But going back to the original topic, I see the same thing at my local Globo gym too. There's one lady who must be a figure competitor or body builder of some sort, because she's pretty muscular, very tan, wears interesting and somewhat revealing outfits ... but the only thing I've seen her do is variations on the bicep curl. I've never see her squat or deadlift, or do a pullup, etc. Occasionally I've seen a woman in the power rack, which always piques my interest, but they always quarter squat tiny weights - not that tiny weights are bad, I'd be thrilled to see someone deep squat with the empty bar!

UGH, toned :eye-roll:

Honestly, I've only seen, other than myself and my friend, 4 people do real, full range of motion squats in the rack. And it breaks my heart. they load 150lbs, quarter squat and wonder 1. why it's not working and 2. why their knees feel like they are going to explode.

Depends on what you think "bulky" looks like. Me, I like how muscles look on women and want to have bigger ones than I've got. Other women think that being able to see any muscle at all is "too bulky." It is not possible for me to get "too bulky" without a lot more effort than I'm willing to put in and possibly I'd also need to be on steroids. But I bet there are women out there who would think I'm already too bulky.

Well.. that's a depressing article. Really? those women are bulky? I always thought Jessica Biel was a little manly anyway.. but not in a bulky, muscular way.. just in a tomboy way. Nothing wrong with that... but I think they could have picked some better female options (I say this like I know any celebrities). I wonder how these surveyed women would feel about this:

tumblr_lumvk9bFHN1r3pduho1_500.jpg

Talk about dream body. But I guess she's like a she-hulk in most women's eyes.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Just wanted to pop in and say that two new girls showed up in my gym tonight and hunkered down on a bench. One was teaching the other the difference in close grip benching. They got an approving smile and nod from me and a ton of gawking looks from the curl bros.

Bravo heavy lifting ladies, bravo.

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

UGH, toned :eye-roll:

Honestly, I've only seen, other than myself and my friend, 4 people do real, full range of motion squats in the rack. And it breaks my heart. they load 150lbs, quarter squat and wonder 1. why it's not working and 2. why their knees feel like they are going to explode.

Well.. that's a depressing article. Really? those women are bulky? I always thought Jessica Biel was a little manly anyway.. but not in a bulky, muscular way.. just in a tomboy way. Nothing wrong with that... but I think they could have picked some better female options (I say this like I know any celebrities). I wonder how these surveyed women would feel about this:

tumblr_lumvk9bFHN1r3pduho1_500.jpg

Talk about dream body. But I guess she's like a she-hulk in most women's eyes.

I'd like to have more muscle than the woman in that picture, actually. :) I don't get the not wanting to have muscle definition. I figure that as long as I like the way I look and feel, if my being "too bulky" puts people off, these are people who I don't mind putting off.

I'd like to have more muscle than the woman in that picture, actually. :) I don't get the not wanting to have muscle definition. I figure that as long as I like the way I look and feel, if my being "too bulky" puts people off, these are people who I don't mind putting off.

Same here! Personally, the only person's opinion I'm even aware of besides my own is my hubby's, and I'm looking forward to the day I'm able to stop him in his tracks just by walking into our weight room. 

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

If you're worried about becoming too bulky, there's always this workout... for those who aren't familiar, Tracy Anderson advocates never lifting a weight more than 3lb and eating under 1000 calories a day. It's great advice if you want to become skinny fat, and weak!

I love the guy in this video. He looks like he doesn't want to be there, and is totally uncoordinated. ;)

--

Liz

Shameless plug for my online photo gallery

Check out my backyard bird feeders

Yeah, not her best photo for muscle definition but most of them were unnecessarily sexy so I did not post. Regardless, i agree.. I'm not concerned with folks who don't get it.

@gymell, ZOMG! bestnewworkoutever! I'm ditching my weights and my food.. and going for it.

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost

If you're worried about becoming too bulky, there's always this workout... for those who aren't familiar, Tracy Anderson advocates never lifting a weight more than 3lb and eating under 1000 calories a day. It's great advice if you want to become skinny fat, and weak!

I love the guy in this video. He looks like he doesn't want to be there, and is totally uncoordinated. ;)

I don't know why but I hate this person now....

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I'm not the only girl lifting at the gym, but I'm the only one lifting heavy. Would love to have someone to work out with, if not to see how much progress I'm getting. Comparing my lifts to the musclehead benching 400-500 lbs next to me is not helping, if not a little deflating.

just keep on trucking...

I saw the coolest, most badass, nerdy (can you be badass and nerdy at the same time?) girl lifting today. She walked in like she owned the joint! Rebel Girl by Bikini Kill started running through my head. She knew all the dudes and they clearly respected her. It was AWESOME!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

“If we all did the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves.â€

-Thomas Edison

"I'm only at about 35-40%, and I'm surprised as eff."

-unicornassssin

Fitocracy!

[thread=16121]My Challenge Thread[/thread]

Add to the list:

Laura

Mama T

weirdquark

Shortkaik

LRB

Roos

chammy

unicornassassin

airen123

gymell

morethanjustamom

spazcat

MirGSS

Oogiem

Crooked

nightlight

I could go on but I think you get hte point :D

Awwww, you!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

“If we all did the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves.â€

-Thomas Edison

"I'm only at about 35-40%, and I'm surprised as eff."

-unicornassssin

Fitocracy!

[thread=16121]My Challenge Thread[/thread]

Add to the list:

Laura

Mama T

weirdquark

Shortkaik

LRB

Roos

chammy

unicornassassin

airen123

gymell

morethanjustamom

spazcat

MirGSS

Oogiem

Crooked

nightlight

:redface-new::adoration:

I'm often the only woman doing squats and deadlifts at my gym, although there's another woman I see pretty frequently doing heavy dumbbell flys and bench presses. It may be related to time of day for me, since I go late morning with all the older people and stay-at-home moms (I'm one, too... it just seems that most prefer long cardio or Zumba). I've tried to lift at other times of the day before, but I hate how crowded the very small free weights area gets. I think I've kind of come to view the power rack as MINE MINE MINE, and I don't like to share! :)

Add to the list:

Laura

Mama T

weirdquark

Shortkaik

LRB

Roos

chammy

unicornassassin

airen123

gymell

morethanjustamom

spazcat

MirGSS

Oogiem

Crooked

nightlight

d'awww!

6497Minnie-Mouse.jpg

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

Current Challenge: Life, man.