Forums are back in action! ×

What's this thing called? (and need a vid)

last night I was trying and failing to work at hip explosions. We were trying to start by sitting on the floor on our knees and ankles with our toes tucked (not flat on the floor). It's essentially similar to seiza position in aikido.

Then, you explode your hips forward and use your arms and jump up into a squat position.

I can't find videos because I don't know what it's called. Help me...

and yes, I failed miserably. But, I think I can do this I just need more instruction and practice.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I've seen them called "kneeling pop ups". I dunno if that's officically the name, but if you say that, I think people will know what you mean.

Just tried searching on youtube and, sure enough, some vids came up. Just try variations of that: pop ups, knees to squat, etc.

Good luck!

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

YES!!! You guys are the best. Am going to study over lunch for probably face planting later at the gym. LOL. I will get this.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Ninja get ups or ninja jumps sounds really cool and given I'm preparing for the zombie apocalypse, this is an apropos name. I have a book on my desk that states, explicity, that zombies hate roving bands of ninjas. Ha.

I AM going the distance

I tried em a few months ago, I can do it, but barely. Someone had posted a video of a guy doing it with something like 200 lb on his shoulders, so I tried just BW.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Ninja get ups or ninja jumps sounds really cool and given I'm preparing for the zombie apocalypse, this is an apropos name. I have a book on my desk that states, explicity, that zombies hate roving bands of ninjas. Ha.

The Turkish getup could probably be renamed the "zombie getup." If you think about it ... you're lying down, one arm up in the air, and very slowly and deliberately stand up. But by then, the ninjas are long gone ;)

--

Liz

Shameless plug for my online photo gallery

Check out my backyard bird feeders

The Turkish getup could probably be renamed the "zombie getup." If you think about it ... you're lying down, one arm up in the air, and very slowly and deliberately stand up. But by then, the ninjas are long gone ;)

True! zombies are slow to get up. Ninjas are much faster - which is kind of the point of these I think. So we could start a new forum: Nimble Ninjas preparing for Zombie Get Ups. LOL.

I AM going the distance

a) I love those. Kelly Starete uses them to help you see errors in your movement and joints based on how you land.

B) that is a WAY better video than i'd have found. I love her.

I'm sooo studying this video before I go to the gym. We were working on hip explosions last night b/c I'm trying to learn the power clean.

I AM going the distance

I'm sooo studying this video before I go to the gym. We were working on hip explosions last night b/c I'm trying to learn the power clean.

That's exactly why my coach was recommending them to me. I've been trying to increase glute activation and hip extension, and this is one of the exercises I've used. Plus it just looks cool!

--

Liz

That's exactly why my coach was recommending them to me. I've been trying to increase glute activation and hip extension, and this is one of the exercises I've used. Plus it just looks cool!

Looks wicked cool. almost as cool as when I flip that big tire around.

In all seriousness, did they help with the power clean? I get the concepts but am having trouble with execution (but just started last night - but am obsessed now)

I AM going the distance

They help in general with isolating hip extension, I don't know if I can really quantify how much it has helped with cleans because I'm doing other things too. Mainly when I clean or snatch now, I'm really trying to think ONLY about initiating the 2nd pull with the hips. Because I sit all day, I'm really terrible at hip extension, which is why it took me about a year to learn how to do kipping pullups. This is something that the "ninja getup" helps isolate because you really have to explode from the hips very quickly.

One of the other things to remember with cleans is "ninja elbows." Yes, we really call it that. :D Really SNAP those elbows around as you rack the bar!

--

Liz

One of the other things to remember with cleans is "ninja elbows." Yes, we really call it that. :D Really SNAP those elbows around as you rack the bar!

This can not be overemphasized. Tons of lifts are won or lost with the elbows. To hit heavier lifts you have to control the bar. If it controls you it's over.

As for the keeling jump squat or whatever, I like it. I don't use it much but I did play around with it a while back and loaded it up a little. To really excel at the lifts the concept of retreating the hips is even more important than the explosion. To be really good you've got to be able to explode as hard as you can then change directions as fast as humanly (superhumanly?) possible. Doing these with some external resistance really seems to emphasize this quality.

I wouldn't recommend this for advanced lifters but for the rest of us, rock it.

Eat. Sleep. High bar squat. | Strength is a skill, refine it.
Follow my Weightlifting team's antics: Instagram | Facebook | Youtube
Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs