Forums are back in action! ×

Cosplay Newb Questions

Sooooo....I want to get into cosplay. I love making costumes, makeup, and props, but never get to wear them outside. (Ask me to help with a Halloween or theatre costume and I'm ON THAT SHIZ.) I'm a bit shy (and new to the country I live in now). There's a lot of cosplay events here (Toronto) but I'm a bit nervous. So far the cosplay blogs I've found just give tutorials on making things, not the other aspects. 

Are there rules? Is there an etiquette? Do I just show up to FanExpo in cosplay and walk around like normal? Do I have to let people take pictures of me? 

I know it may seem silly, but I don't want to show up to an event and break some unspoken etiquette rules, like my first time playing LARP. *flashback to cringy moments* 

Any advice or good cosplay blogs? Thanks. 

• Like 1

Character | Twitter | IG

"The brave men did not kill dragons. The brave men rode them." - GoT

1 hour ago, Saorsa said:

Sooooo....I want to get into cosplay. I love making costumes, makeup, and props, but never get to wear them outside. (Ask me to help with a Halloween or theatre costume and I'm ON THAT SHIZ.) I'm a bit shy (and new to the country I live in now). There's a lot of cosplay events here (Toronto) but I'm a bit nervous. So far the cosplay blogs I've found just give tutorials on making things, not the other aspects. 

Are there rules? Is there an etiquette? Do I just show up to FanExpo in cosplay and walk around like normal? Do I have to let people take pictures of me? 

I know it may seem silly, but I don't want to show up to an event and break some unspoken etiquette rules, like my first time playing LARP. *flashback to cringy moments* 

Any advice or good cosplay blogs? Thanks. 

Wow! I really want to get into cosplay.. As in, learn to make stuff! I really hate the thought of buying pre made... Which is the reason I actually never did cosplay before. Although, to be honest, they don't do it a lot in UK. But there is hyper Japan at least 1x a year xD

Any tips on making cosplay?

And sorry to be off topic.. I don't know if there's any rule to cosplay. I'd just go out there and do it to be honest, and learn while I do it xD but I make myself silly quite often and I'm used to it

• Like 1

Nadoriel

NODDY'S GRINDING LOG

NODDY'S ENTERS THE HISTORIC RUINS (challenge)

Race: Half Demon | Class: Adventurer | Character sheet

- - -

DeviantArt

As a long time cosplayer, I can say the only real rule of cosplay is that being in costume (or dealing with people in costume) doesn't exempt you from the normal social rules.  EG you can't just walk up and start taking pictures without permission.  You have to follow all the same public decency laws.  You can (and should) get thrown out or arrested for harrassment.

If you're thinking about trying it, just find an event and go.  As a general rule of thumb, you are going to get asked for pictures, and are expected to stop so people can take them.  But you can always pretend to be running late for a panel, if it gets to be too much.  (Of course, you're there to show off your costume, so take some time to show it off. :friendly_wink: )

As for tips on starting to create your own costumes:  start with what you know.  If you already know how to sew, then find a pattern and try it.  If you're into woodworking, you can buy clothes and build props. Etc.  Even if you aren't a "crafty" person, you can build most of a costume by shopping thrift stores and Amazon.

Once you get into it, you start learning new skills.  Start with sewing, if you don't already have that one, as it will allow you to alter existing clothes and, eventually, make your own.  After that, it just depends on what costumes you want to do.  I've learned to sew spandex/lycra for superheroes.  Woodworking and plastic modeling help with props.  I'm currently making my first set of foam armor for an Alphonse (Fullmetal Alchemist) costume.  Next year I plan to dig back into robotics for my Nightcrawler tail. :playful:

Finally, a piece that a lot of new cosplayers miss is getting into character while walking around.  Practice a few poses so you know what to do when asked for a picture.  If your character has a signature move, try to learn it.

• Like 2

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

On 8/10/2017 at 1:35 PM, Nadoriel said:

Wow! I really want to get into cosplay.. As in, learn to make stuff! I really hate the thought of buying pre made... Which is the reason I actually never did cosplay before. Although, to be honest, they don't do it a lot in UK. But there is hyper Japan at least 1x a year xD

Any tips on making cosplay?

And sorry to be off topic.. I don't know if there's any rule to cosplay. I'd just go out there and do it to be honest, and learn while I do it xD but I make myself silly quite often and I'm used to it

Awesome! I'm learning the fine points, as it is a bit different than theatre stuff, but not too far off the path. I always try to keep props light, on stage or costume. I see people make props for LARP or cosplay that seem light at first...but you'll be carrying it or wearing it for awhile. Even a dress or big costume can be heavy. I try to make stuff light as practical. Bamboo, foam, paper, light fabric.... Paint is magic. It really is. There are tons of videos about painting things for cosplay. It's great for covering things. I could ramble about this stuff forever...like makeup, wigs, GOING TO THE BATHROOM in a costume.... people forget that part all the time. Maybe we should make a thread of good cosplay tutorials. :P

@Anim07734 Thanks! I'll have to practice the picture thing. I'm not used to that. I hate sewing (as in I get bored half way through and I'm not that great so I get really frustrated). I tend to alter or work with already made clothes. I feel comfortable with props and wigs. I guess I should start simple and work my way up since I'm so new. Also: robotics!? Nightcrawler!? I need to see this...good luck!  

• Like 1

Character | Twitter | IG

@Anim07734OMG!! Awesome!!! Alphonse costume!! I totally wanna see that *.*

I'm good with sewing, although I haven't tried costumes per se xD just bags and accessories. Everything else seems really hard though!

@SaorsaAhaha yeah, I guess it's hard to make light swords look like swords though. I like crafts, but I really don't know how to work with materials. I like sewing though. If you lived nearby, we could exchange stuff xD

Nadoriel

NODDY'S GRINDING LOG

NODDY'S ENTERS THE HISTORIC RUINS (challenge)

Race: Half Demon | Class: Adventurer | Character sheet

- - -

DeviantArt

Because I love showing off costumes, here's my most recent Nightcrawler picture:

image.jpeg

And most recent update on Alphonse (all of the major pieces are done, now I just have to finish attachments, painting, and electronics by the end of the month):

image.jpeg

Major concerns when designing a costume:

-longterm comfort (especially shoes)

-total weight and size/bulk (including props)

-hands required to carry all the props

-how you're actually going to put it on and take it off (help required?  what order? etc)

-bathroom breaks

-pockets (for phone, wallet, badge, etc)

-transport considerations

-(for adults only) booze storage

I cosplayed for years without ever doing more than alterations.  And when I did start making clothes, I started with capes and robes.  Props were the same way.  My first suit of armor was cardboard and duct tape.  Then I traded the tape for paint and made a Gundam costume.

Just start with what you know and build on it.  Never try to add more than one or two skills per costume though, or you'll just end up getting frustrated with it. :friendly_wink:

• Like 1

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

@Anim07734 Whoa! :o That's fantastic! Thanks for the advice too. Feel a notch less nervous now. Your booze comment reminded me of this: IMG_20170811_212402.thumb.jpg.4c514d402fae96cde9ba1c07ca1cbf0b.jpg

It's a tea holder not flask holder, but it's still gold.

@Nadoriel I know, right? Just need a teleporter. Haha Also...shoes. I don't I'll ever make shoes. I just try to alter shoes to fit the costume. Swords can be hard, but it's one of my things. I like to make weapons (but not use them in real life) because I think they're fun. You just got to get really resourceful. A strong child might kill the realism though.... *cough* speaking from experience. A toddler smashed my Loki staff. -_-

Character | Twitter | IG

18 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

Major concerns when designing a costume:

-longterm comfort (especially shoes)

-total weight and size/bulk (including props)

-hands required to carry all the props

-how you're actually going to put it on and take it off (help required?  what order? etc)

-bathroom breaks

-pockets (for phone, wallet, badge, etc)

-transport considerations

-(for adults only) booze storage hydration storage

@Anim07734 FTFY Since Atlanta in September is still ridiculous ;)  Booze storage is just bonus extra functionality (for adults only)

• Like 1

Half-elven Ranger

Current Challenge: Jumpin' back in the fray