Forums are back in action! ×

Do People Gain Weight or Lose Weight in College These Days?

I definitely gained about 35 pounds throughout college, now I'm in my last quarter and trying to lose some of it before my student gym membership runs out. I think it comes from not feeling like I had enough time to workout my first 3 years plus the junk food the dorms fed us plus getting to choose my own junk food when I moved off-campus. And all of my friends are lazy people too, so that doesn't help by any means :P

I gained weight due to awful eating habits, but I was way more physically active in college than I was in high school. After graduation I hit a low spot of dropping off the physical activity while maintaining the terrible eating habits... which is what brought me here.

Of course, according to my health teacher (who was also the lacrosse coach) the "freshman 15" is only from beer. Because people don't realize how many calories there are in beer, and people only drink beer to get drunk because NO ONE likes the taste of beer. Therefore they gain weight.

I started bringing a book to read in that class. My dad was really into homebrew when I was growing up, I literally learned to walk holding onto one of his kegs, and some of my best childhood memories are at the local brewery. My first job was at the other local brewery (the smaller one) and I basically was raised in "beer culture". Besides, if you just want to get drunk, beer is hardly the most efficient way to go about it...

I also didn't drink my first three years of college. My "freshman 15" was from french fries and ice cream.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that leads to total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -Frank Herbert, Dune

I lost some weight the first year because of intense stress. Then I gained during the first semester of my sophomore year. This semester I'm weight-training and getting a lot healthier. Planning on continuing in that. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Skinny girls look good in clothes. Fit girls look good naked."

[>.<]

Late to the game, but I lost ~10 pounds over the course of college, from 165 to 155. Mostly in my senior year I think. I became in much worse shape, though. It probably contributes that

A) I had a grand total of about 6 beers throughout all of college.

B) The three years I lived on campus (and had access to unlmited food) I lived on top of a giant hill and had to walk a bit under a mile to get to class.

C) When I lived off campus I just plain didn't eat a lot. I usually just ate enough to be not hungry. Usually this was spaghetti. I probably ate laughable amounts of protein.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

I only just finished my first year of college....four or five more to go.

I think for me though...I have put on...2 pounds throughout the whole year. Where I go, the only food we have access too is the cafeteria...which is decent food....but...we compared it to one of Jesus' parables...once we are drunk on the good food...then they feed us...well yea....their food didn;t agree eith me...I had a lot of trouble digesting it. The only other alternative was basically subway or make your own food if you had a kitchen at the dorms.

So where I come from...the Freshman 15 doesn't really always happen...because in mroe ways than one our bodys stay the same because 7 out of 10 meals in a week for mostly the salad bar... the weight I gained was from the problem I had in my first semester..my weight stayed that way because of the job I have along school. I teach swimming lessons and I lifeguard. I get plenty of excercize time...therefor, I don't give my body the added ick.

Plus most of my college is athletes and we get a free gm membership....and when the town is the only place to go...you walk to the Point...

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mixy-Chan, level 1 Elf scout

STR 3|DEX 3|STA 3|CON 2|WIS 2|CHA 2

[/TABLE]

It varies from person to person. Probably always has.

I gained about ten my first year until I took up longboarding when I lost fifteen. Then I put on twenty-five when I moved back on campus and had an unlimited meal plan instead of cooking what I wanted for myself. I've taken seven of that off in the two weeks since moving back and I'm working on taking more, too.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Cowboy - Human Adventurer
STR: 3 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 2 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

I lost a lot of weight, not sure how exactly much but within 3 years it was probably close to 100. It wasn't because of increased exercise that I know of or better eating. But when in high school you are bridging and possibly over 400 pounds, you have nowhere to go but down.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1