Forums are back in action! ×

Common sayings that we hate!

Guest Snake McClain

Guest Snake McClain

So in this thread I want to discuss common things we hear people say all the time that we hate. Either because they don't make sense or are improperly used or something like that. I'll start.

So far, so good.

What does that even mean? Sure I'll break it down. "so far" meaning up until this point. Okay i get that part but what about "so good"? .....yeah i dunno. Who goes around saying. "so good" all by itself. To me the phrase "so far so good" is like an incomplete idea. It has no ending and it makes no sense to me. It makes me so annoyed to hear it. In fact when people do I say "so good that what?" . Then they say "what do you mean?" And i say " well you said so far, so good...but its so good that what? Like if this ice cream im eating is delicious i say 'this ice cream is so good i could eat eat a gallon of it'. Does that make sense?" They usually don't understand what I'm saying.

Epic

I also don't like the use of the word Epic. All the time. People just say it like it has no meaning. I'm pretty sure people don't knwo what it means.

AWESOME!

yeah i'm guilty of this one. but i hate it. i hate hearing that word all the time. no one knows what it means apparently.

I could care less...

No see you're supposed to say I COULDN'T care less. If you could care les then that means you care at least a little. if you couldn't care less then you obviously don't care at all. (much like most of you seeing me ramble in this post)

okay i'm done now. your turn.

This thread is epic in such an awesome way :D

I could care less how epicly awesome this thread is, but the direction it's taking is so far so good.

:)

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

I could care less about this thread. I think the forums are so far so good.

Kidding!

My peeve is when people just say the letter k. Really you couldn't type or say the entire ok or okay? It always seems like someone is upset and being short with me. Like saying "fine." Now I'll go mentally prepare for lots of k answers in chat from here on :smug:

“Women are like teabags. You never know how strong they are till they get in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

MyFitnessPal Diary

Well, looks like I'm just a Human

STR 1; DEX 2; STA 1; CON 2; WIS 4; CHA 5

Bumblebee's Quest to Play!

But to properly add to this thread, since I'm at work, allow me to throw out some sayings I hate in the office.

"Could you send me the electrons on that?" - WHAT!??!!? No, but here are the protons *hands a piece of paper to boss*

"Let's peel back the onion a bit more on this." - HUH!??!

"This analysis is goodness!" - Goodness?!?!? Who speaks like this?!?!

"That's a good ideal!" - UHM!??!? Don't you mean idea?!? Where'd you learn to talk??

Seriously....these are phrases I hear on a daily basis.

*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

I cringe at all the typical grammar debacles, but the word that I really hate is hubby.

OMG, "hubby." And "DH." Kill it with fire.

We just had a talk by someone who used the word "utilize" instead of "use" 28 times.

[table=width: 600]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 3 Elf Warrior

STR 9.5|DEX 6|STA 9|CON 7|WIS 8.5|CHA 2

Challenge thread

Twitter

"There is never an absolute answer to everything, except of course that you have to do your squats." - Mark Rippetoe

[/table]

Guest Snake McClain
This thread is epic in such an awesome way :D
I could care less. :P
I could care less how epicly awesome this thread is, but the direction it's taking is so far so good.

:)

i hate you guys. i hate you all.

I could care less about this thread. I think the forums are so far so good.

Kidding!

My peeve is when people just say the letter k. Really you couldn't type or say the entire ok or okay? It always seems like someone is upset and being short with me. Like saying "fine." Now I'll go mentally prepare for lots of k answers in chat from here on :smug:

i agree. this really bothers me too.

But to properly add to this thread, since I'm at work, allow me to throw out some sayings I hate in the office.

"Could you send me the electrons on that?" - WHAT!??!!? No, but here are the protons *hands a piece of paper to boss*

"Let's peel back the onion a bit more on this." - HUH!??!

"This analysis is goodness!" - Goodness?!?!? Who speaks like this?!?!

"That's a good ideal!" - UHM!??!? Don't you mean idea?!? Where'd you learn to talk??

Seriously....these are phrases I hear on a daily basis.

seruiosly you hear this? that is...that's weird.

"Have a good one."

I dont know if this is just a southern thing but it makes me cringe! Anytime you leave a store the cashier will say it! I hear it at least ten times a day. GAHHHH! LOL

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

"Just an FYI..." - Come on!! You're talking to me. You don't need to use text speak!! Also, it doesn't even make sense: "Just an for your information..." is what you're saying!

"Just an FYI..." - Come on!! You're talking to me. You don't need to use text speak!! Also, it doesn't even make sense: "Just an for your information..." is what you're saying!

sent an email to someone today saying "just fyi". LOL. Is an epic failure on my part....

I hate anything made into what I call "old time-y" language. example: shop becomes shoppe. Ugh. I won't go there.

I also really hate "outside the box". In my house, outside the box refers to the cats' business and it's never good.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

So far, so good. What does that even mean?

I'll help you out. It means so far, it's going well. It has to be said in relationship to something ongoing to make sense. For example, "how's your new dog getting along with your cats?" "So far, so good."

Probably caught on because it's a lot catchier than "so far, it's good".

One saying that gets on my nerves is "love, love, love" this or that. Just heard it too many times I guess.

"Have a good one" is another one. No it's not just a Southern thing. It's what you say when you want to say have a good day without meaning it whatsoever.

As an MBA, business speak is hilarious. "Let's leverage our competencies and shift the paradigm of the industry." It's nice to be able to use lots of words without actually saying anything.

Oops, I say "have a good one/day" all the time. Never thought it was annoying.

My wife says "ding" for pudding (her mother thought it was cute when she was three and encouraged it, so I blame her).

Saying "Tarjay" instead of Target.

My coworkers and I are always making fun of the business terminology and sometimes try to compete to get as many in one sentence at once.

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

So far, so good.

OK, I think I know how this one came about: "So far, it's all good." Morph it a bit: "So Far, s'all good." then someone mis-heard it: "So Far, so good."

I approach linguistics differently than most, so I don't really get annoyed with any common sayings. As long as the meaning is passed on properly between two individuals, I can't really get annoyed with it. If the meaning isn't clear, and the people using it get confused, then it's a problem. Words change meaning all the time, and thus what a word should mean doesn't matter.

If I say "dog" but meaning cat, and someone else hears "dog" but interprets it as cat... well then "dog" now means cat, and the idea was transferred correctly, so there are no problems.

Therefore, I only get annoyed when a word's meaning does matter, like during tests or whatnot. For example: When a material is in-between vapor and liquid, it has a mix of both parts. When you describe what % of it is vapor, it is officially known as the 'quality' of the substance...

That annoys me, because when you say "what is the quality of this material"... it's not really a realistic question. They should use a term like "vapor ratio" or something which isn't used in other scientific concepts to mean COMPLETELY different things...

Guest Snake McClain
I'll help you out. It means so far, it's going well. It has to be said in relationship to something ongoing to make sense. For example, "how's your new dog getting along with your cats?" "So far, so good."

Probably caught on because it's a lot catchier than "so far, it's good".

this can't be right. it doesn't matter what you're referencing in the discussion the sentecne "so far so good" doesn't make sense.

"how's the horse back riding going?"

"so far so good".

what is the so good part? it doesn't make sense even if i know what they are trying to say it is still structurally unsound. maybe i'm just an idiot. like i know what they mean to say but that is the same with Epic, or winning. i understand what they mean even if it doesn't make sense exactly.

Guest Snake McClain
OK, I think I know how this one came about: "So far, it's all good." Morph it a bit: "So Far, s'all good." then someone mis-heard it: "So Far, so good."

I approach linguistics differently than most, so I don't really get annoyed with any common sayings. As long as the meaning is passed on properly between two individuals, I can't really get annoyed with it. If the meaning isn't clear, and the people using it get confused, then it's a problem. Words change meaning all the time, and thus what a word should mean doesn't matter.

If I say "dog" but meaning cat, and someone else hears "dog" but interprets it as cat... well then "dog" now means cat, and the idea was transferred correctly, so there are no problems.

Therefore, I only get annoyed when a word's meaning does matter, like during tests or whatnot. For example: When a material is in-between vapor and liquid, it has a mix of both parts. When you describe what % of it is vapor, it is officially known as the 'quality' of the substance...

That annoys me, because when you say "what is the quality of this material"... it's not really a realistic question. They should use a term like "vapor ratio" or something which isn't used in other scientific concepts to mean COMPLETELY different things...

even though you are right i am still going to stand my ground and disagree. because i am ignorant.

Guest Snake McClain
"So far, so good" isn't a sentence, it's an idiom, like "You bet!" If you think about it, "You bet!" doesn't really make any sense either, perhaps it came from "you can bet on it", but doesn't make grammatical sense, yet people know what it means.

i also don't say "you bet". actually come to thnk of it there aren't a lot of phrases like this i use. i talk a lot and clearly and i tend to express my thoughts in these long winded paragraphs of conversation...i'm also noticing i do that in my posts here as well....you know...you all must think i'm really annoying.

My mum turns everything I do into an "ing"

Are you Gymming tonight? Are you Zumba-ing tonight? Are you quizzing tonight?

No! I'm going to the gym! I'm going to Zumba! I'm going to the quiz!

Also I have a colleague that overuses the word etcetera and completely in the wrong context. It's like nails on a chalk board for me every time she says it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Twitter Blog

Attributes:

Strength (STR): 3

Dexterity (DEX): 1

Stamina (STA): 4

Constitution (CON): 2

Wisdom (WIS): 3

Charisma (CHA): 2

OK, I just really hate office phrases. I can't stop thinking of them now, so here are some more that are used where I work:

"Let's take this offline" - said when someone wants to continue a conversation off the phone (typically a teleconference)

"Parking Lot" - A place to put topics to be discussed/addressed after a meeting, but never are (typically a large piece of paper taped to a wall)

"Stand up" - Used to describe a "short" meeting that can be done while everyone is standing up. No one ever stands up and it is never short *sigh*

"Sidebar" - A quick discussion in the middle of a meeting that is off topic from the current subject, or a statement to postpone an off topic discussion until after a meeting

Sadly, I can come up with these all day...

Archived