Forums are back in action! ×

Inspiration: Powerful Beyond Measure

Fogo

I do have a bit of a problem with one of these quotes. "our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure" now i understand what he is trying to say. that the responsibility and pressure of being great is heavy and when we fail the eyes of the world are upon us or whatever. their disappointment is heavy. now here is my issue....

I am the EXACT opposite of that. For me my greatest fear is inadequacy. it is that I am not good enough to succeed and thus never will. I would give anything to be great at something and i'm doing my best now. but that fear of inadequacy is still there for me. So...maybe i am just not understanding this but I don't really care for that quote. discuss.

Actually, IMO, you just proved the quote. I read it as, we think inadequacy is out greatest fear, but that is our way of avoiding the reality that we can be powerful beyond measure. We hide behind our inadequacies when we should be approaching greatness. You are putting focus on your inadequacies, BUT you are doing your best at becoming great at something. To me, you are fighting against the fear of being "powerful beyond measure" head on.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

Guest Snake McClain
Actually, IMO, you just proved the quote. I read it as, we think inadequacy is out greatest fear, but that is our way of avoiding the reality that we can be powerful beyond measure. We hide behind our inadequacies when we should be approaching greatness. You are putting focus on your inadequacies, BUT you are doing your best at becoming great at something. To me, you are fighting against the fear of being "powerful beyond measure" head on.

hm....well....I dunno. I guess in some ways you're absolutely right. but on the other hand I don't see it in such an obvious manner. Hm. I like your version better. I feel better already knowing i'm challenging my fears. Thanks Ice dawg. *rap hands*

so it's my lunch break and i'm watching these other videos posted. and i'm probably going to get censored and that's fine. but these videos are FUCKING AWESOME!

EDIT:

Now it's my turn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6xLYt265ZM&feature=fvwp&NR=1

sort of the same as OP. but different.

Got me choked up, but the 1980 Miracle on Ice always does.

My own addition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X38PCf7kao&feature=related

Need to stop watching these at work in an open office. Had to hold back at the 3:00 mark with his father and brother! Wow.....accomplishments that bring fathers and sons together for support get me every time!

*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

I am the EXACT opposite of that. For me my greatest fear is inadequacy. it is that I am not good enough to succeed and thus never will. I would give anything to be great at something and i'm doing my best now. but that fear of inadequacy is still there for me. So...maybe i am just not understanding this but I don't really care for that quote. discuss.

^that is more what the quote means. It's not necessarily relating to how the world sees us. If we fail, yeah it sucks that other people saw it but it's about allowing ourselves to shine in face of the fear of inadequacy we may feel. It's understanding that it's okay to brilliant and powerful. Not for the world. For ourselves.

And yes, what icedtrip said!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Went back to re-watch this video and it appears it has been pulled. I honestly thought it may be a matter of time. The audio and words were pulled from a youtube video with only a very slight modification. The original video on youtube was also pulled for other reasons, but was reposted with permission at the below link. The video won't be the same Spartan Race inspiring video, but the audio (w/ the exception of one minor change) is. Just thought I would share.

Archived