Forums are back in action! ×

Nerd Fitness Spoiled Me

Yeah, that is why I love this place too. A few years ago, I was totally one of those people. I was rapidly approaching 40 (I'm too old to change my life!). I ate fast food all the time. Chain smoked as often as possible. I was probably over 300 pounds at my heaviest. One flight of stairs got me winded. Don't get me started at how upset I would get if my feeding schedule was interrupted. Fortunately, I had an epiphany that I needed to change my lifestyle or I wouldn't survive my 40s. I have so many people who are younger than me and in way better shape than I was when i started tell me they don't know how I do it. They say they don't have time or I must have amazing willpower. Can't they remember what I was like a couple of years ago? It is obvious that I don't have amazing willpower, or I wouldn't have gotten into that shape. Even after more than two years of this, I still can't be trusted with a bag of chips (one package = one serving). I just have a great support group here on Nerd Fitness and an easy to follow plan (paleo and lifting heavy 3 times a week is pretty easy for me). I'm only in the gym 3 hours or so a week. Not having time to exercise is a really lame excuse.

Not having time to exercise is a really lame excuse.

If you read biographies or articles about the powerful people of America (CEOs/CFOs of large corporations, politicians, etc) you almost always read about them having a daily exercise routine. I know the CEO of my company routinely gets up at 5am to run and lift. If he can find time to workout and still run a multi national Fortune 500 company, what the hell is my excuse?

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

WHOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO!! I love you guys! You all are freakin' Awesome! Let me know when we're going to conquer the world, I'll get my Samurai Sword!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

I love this and I love this place and found a home here, but in my life, there were never any excuses because see, my mom is 75 and has a spinal fusion and my dad is 83 this friday and they travel the world, swim every day in the summer, just sold their sail boat which they used to be on most days in the summer, they speak many languages and my father as an Greek ex pat, lived through the sino-japanese war, the chinese revolution, world war 2, the french occupation of north vietnam and moving to america all before he was 35. No fucking excuses allowed ever, cause they can CERTAINLY one up you if you complain (LOL not in a good way at all times but I certainly feel they influenced me to excellence)...

I am also giggling about doing things in public. I was the leader of 2 girl scout troops in my day and I remember my daughter once saying to me, mom--don't do that, you are embarrassing me, when we first started. I looked at her firmly and said--life is TOO SHORT to be embarrassed by ANYTHING!!!!

I love being surrounded by people who are always growing, always learning, always trying and always doing!

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

People resign themselves to an undetermined fate.
I LOVE your rant. Someone was recently telling me "but I just can't eat primal. I can't give up pasta, McDonald's, soda, etc.". My reply "people give up the crack and the heroin every day and I'm guessing that's harder than not going through a drive through".
If you read biographies or articles about the powerful people of America (CEOs/CFOs of large corporations, politicians, etc) you almost always read about them having a daily exercise routine. I know the CEO of my company routinely gets up at 5am to run and lift. If he can find time to workout and still run a multi national Fortune 500 company, what the hell is my excuse?

yes yes!

Oystergirl that's a fantastic post, i love it!

I'm with the rest of you- thanks, all you Rebels!!

100% Everything in this thread. I've only been on NF since about January but the can do attitude of everyone on here is such a breath of fresh air.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Twitter Blog

Attributes:

Strength (STR): 3

Dexterity (DEX): 1

Stamina (STA): 4

Constitution (CON): 2

Wisdom (WIS): 3

Charisma (CHA): 2

Yeah, that is why I love this place too. A few years ago, I was totally one of those people. I was rapidly approaching 40 (I'm too old to change my life!). I ate fast food all the time. Chain smoked as often as possible. I was probably over 300 pounds at my heaviest. One flight of stairs got me winded. Don't get me started at how upset I would get if my feeding schedule was interrupted. Fortunately, I had an epiphany that I needed to change my lifestyle or I wouldn't survive my 40s. I have so many people who are younger than me and in way better shape than I was when i started tell me they don't know how I do it. They say they don't have time or I must have amazing willpower. Can't they remember what I was like a couple of years ago? It is obvious that I don't have amazing willpower, or I wouldn't have gotten into that shape. Even after more than two years of this, I still can't be trusted with a bag of chips (one package = one serving). I just have a great support group here on Nerd Fitness and an easy to follow plan (paleo and lifting heavy 3 times a week is pretty easy for me). I'm only in the gym 3 hours or so a week. Not having time to exercise is a really lame excuse.

I think that's part of why I appreciate it so much. Because I bet most of us, at one point or another, have dealt with similar things. We've gone from 'can't' people to 'watch me make this my bitch' and that's awesome.

And oh yeah.. I don't buy sweets unless I intend to eat them in their entirety because I just don't operate that way. So, I don't buy them. Fixed and fixed.

I believe LRB has a quote from her mom in her signature that says, "Someone busier than you is working out.." I love that. I guarantee I'm not as busy as most people. So, yeah... I'll go get my workout on.

I love this and I love this place and found a home here, but in my life, there were never any excuses because see, my mom is 75 and has a spinal fusion and my dad is 83 this friday and they travel the world, swim every day in the summer, just sold their sail boat which they used to be on most days in the summer, they speak many languages and my father as an Greek ex pat, lived through the sino-japanese war, the chinese revolution, world war 2, the french occupation of north vietnam and moving to america all before he was 35. No fucking excuses allowed ever, cause they can CERTAINLY one up you if you complain (LOL not in a good way at all times but I certainly feel they influenced me to excellence)...

I am also giggling about doing things in public. I was the leader of 2 girl scout troops in my day and I remember my daughter once saying to me, mom--don't do that, you are embarrassing me, when we first started. I looked at her firmly and said--life is TOO SHORT to be embarrassed by ANYTHING!!!!

I love being surrounded by people who are always growing, always learning, always trying and always doing!

This is what I want. This is absolutely true.

LMAO @ Cline. I somehow missed the heroin reference! But yeah..that's pretty fn accurate!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

When I was getting ready for my last freakin surgery on knee & ankle, I was determined to PT like never before. Really determined. I found a necklace that said "no excuses". Given it was something I said all the time, it seemed right.

I still wear it.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Hear hear! This forum has treated me so well in the short time I've been here, it already feels like a second (e-)home. And boy has my attitude changed...

Two years ago, when I realized just how overweight I had become, I remember thinking "I wish I could go back in time and tell my college self to focus more on nutrition. I could have avoided all that weight gain and it would have been so much easier." I mean, how lazy can a 24-year-old get?! That's when I realized that I didn't want to be staring sadly into the mirror 5, 10, or 20 years from now thinking the same thing about my current self.

Now I look forward to each workout, wondering how much I could lift today if I push myself. I've stopped saying "this is how things are" and started to wonder "what could I do to make things better", and it's all because of this great community. Thanks - you rock!

Piercewise

Human Adventurer, Level 1

Current Quest: Adventure Time

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

STR: 2 DEX: 1 STA: 3 CON: 3 WIS: 4 CHA: 2

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness; may those who defy their fate be granted glory.

I have accomplished so many Impossible things in the last 8 months that every workout feels like an adventure. As for the lazy people, their laziness is their own punishment.

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

Check out my Musings on Fandom, Life, and the connections between the two at Fandom Lenses
LEVEL: 2 | STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 4 | WIS 9 (+5 from Year of Our WTF) | CHA 5 (+3 from Year of Our WTF)
Tu, was du willst (Do What You Wish)
The Neverending Story, Michael Ende

My 2013 Challenge #1 is dedicated to Melissa Montag, 1975-2012. I Love you AnissaSis! :-)

I love that someone is always around to bounce ideas in my head off of. Had an apt with a trainer last night. Felt unsure and uncomfortable with the direction he was going. Jumped into chat and got instant feedback and was able to vent.

Love you guys!!!

In training to be awesome! :highly_amused:

Archived