Forums are back in action! ×

I lost HOW much?!

Oklibrarian

Ok. 8 months ago I made a Long-overdue cardiologist visit. I weighed in at a number that frankly appalled me, and kicked my butt into high gear. I went slow carb, started working out twice a week, and generally worked my ass off in a state of existential terror. Somewhere along the way I forgot (repressed?) that number, and thought I had started at a weight around 10 lbs less than what it was. (In my defense it was a terrifying appointment, though I checked out with flying colors aside from weight. The doc could have started chanting "bah weep granah weep nini bong" and I would have just nodded vaguely.)

Fast forward 8 months. I'm in a good mood for this follow up, but wishing I'd had a bit more than almost 30 pounds to show for it, and say as much in passing. The doc looks confused, and pulls up my last visit on the screen.

I misremembered. I actually lost 40 pounds in the last 8 months. While working full time, doing a doctorate, and starting a new website. I vaguely remembered I hadn't touched the scale for the first 2 months, and that must have been how I lost that additional 10 pounds without realizing. In any case, there it was, in the medical record. In one fell swoop I went from a slow loser to over halfway to goal.

And then I bought myself a new iPhone 4s.

Woot.

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

Check out my Musings on Fandom, Life, and the connections between the two at Fandom Lenses
LEVEL: 2 | STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 4 | WIS 9 (+5 from Year of Our WTF) | CHA 5 (+3 from Year of Our WTF)
Tu, was du willst (Do What You Wish)
The Neverending Story, Michael Ende

My 2013 Challenge #1 is dedicated to Melissa Montag, 1975-2012. I Love you AnissaSis! :-)

YAY! Congrats! All your hard work paid off. Where do you go from here?

Well, I've got about another 30 pounds of fat I'd like to lop off, but beyond that...I'm not sure. My entire life was predicated on the knowledge I couldn't accomplish anything of note in the physical realm. In the last 8 months, that seems to have changed. In another 6 months, when I'm at or near goal, How do I keep the motivation up? Do I chase goals? Am I a ranger or a warrior? What does it mean to be "fit", and how do I know when I get there?

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

Check out my Musings on Fandom, Life, and the connections between the two at Fandom Lenses
LEVEL: 2 | STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 4 | WIS 9 (+5 from Year of Our WTF) | CHA 5 (+3 from Year of Our WTF)

My 2013 Challenge #1 is dedicated to Melissa Montag, 1975-2012. I Love you AnissaSis! :-)

Wow, now that is an awesome woot! What was the doctor's reaction?

Woohoo, pretty much :)

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

That was a good story up until the iPhone. So, congratulations and I'm sorry, respectively. What was your goal?

My goal is to live as long as my nonsmoking grandparents (all still with us in their late 80s), my quirky plumbing notwithstanding. Phase 1 is to lose another 30 lbs. Phase 2:??? I guess I dont need to know that yet, but I can only remember a few months since I was 10 years old that I was satisfied with my weight. I'm truly not sure what will come next when I hit my goal body fat %. I'm a little overwhelmed with the possibilities.

And at least my cell phone Just Works. :P

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

So amazing! Woot to you!

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

My goal is to live as long as my nonsmoking grandparents (all still with us in their late 80s), my quirky plumbing notwithstanding. Phase 1 is to lose another 30 lbs. Phase 2:??? I guess I dont need to know that yet, but I can only remember a few months since I was 10 years old that I was satisfied with my weight. I'm truly not sure what will come next when I hit my goal body fat %. I'm a little overwhelmed with the possibilities.

And at least my cell phone Just Works. :P

Almost done with Phase 1 then, and by that time you'll most likely have a dragon to slay in Phase 2.

If you keep up the good work, I'm sure surpass your grandparents.

Still just gotta work on the phone now. My phone "just works" too, and it works even better because I can connect it to my computer. I'm running solely Linux over here and iTunes isn't ported.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Thank you all so much--this means a lot. I'm the type who's always looking toward the next goal in life at the expense of enjoying my victories, but this week I've really tried to force myself to revel in just how far I've come. That said, if I do much more celebrating, "pay off credit card debt" will have to be my next life goal (I got some new workout clothes to go with the phone...). Onward! :-)

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

Archived