Forums are back in action! ×

I usually work out 3-4 mornings a week and was just starting to increase my upper body strength training, when I injured an arm again.  Okay, it's both arms.  I appear to have developed cubital tunnel syndrome in both elbows, as well as added tendonitis in the right.  Add to that my messed up left shoulder, bad back and bad neck and not great knees (or now left ankle - grrr), and I'm almost ready to give up.  (Surgery has been suggested already for one arm)

After 10 days of splinting at night the horrifying pain that made it impossible to do anything with any comfort at all, is better.  I can function pretty well again, but can't really do what I was doing for exercise - which is  a lot of yoga, body weight workouts, and minimal cardio (because I HATE cardio).  I do not want to stop working out at all.  I switched to squats/lunges/jumping jacks this week - ouch, but I don't enjoy it and I don't want to overwork one area? 

Does this make sense?  I'm guess I"m looking for ideas on types of exercise.  I've lost a lot of strength in my arms and left hand (that's the nerve's fault) due to weakness/pain.  Ugh, this sounds really whiny, but I'm not trying to complain - just hoping for some brainstorming of ideas - sadly I hate most cardio, I don't belong to a gym and its freezing outside. 

It's effecting my ability to work my horse as well do to loss of grip strength and pain with elbow flexion.  I've given that up until I've got the pain/inflammation better under control.  Thanks in advance!

• Like 2

I would like to state upfront that I have no experience with elbow issues in particular and can't give you any specific suggestions for that. 

HOWEVER, a few other things do come to mind. 

44 minutes ago, Fluffy said:

what I was doing for exercise - which is  a lot of yoga, body weight workouts, and minimal cardio

1. What kind of yoga were you doing? There are a lot of different varieties and some of the gentler ones might be able to help strengthen and loosen your joints, which could help a bit. If you're not cemented into whatever yoga practice you had, why not explore a few other options and see if you can work those into your routine? There are tons of resources online with yoga poses for all kinds of problems. 

2. Is physical therapy a possibility for you? Even if paid therapy isn't, there should be articles and videos online that could help you get a sense of some exercises to do to help strengthen and support your injured areas. 

3. Re: cardio, I would never recommend doing an exercise you don't like, but since people sometimes overlook it, have you considered swimming? Buoyancy can be a wonderful thing when it comes to low-stress workouts. I also sometimes practice advanced bodyweight exercises in the pool, to get a sense of the movement without being penned into a machine or worrying about falling over. I can't do pistol squats or handstands on land yet, but in the water it's no problem! So that could be a fun thing to try. You did say you don't belong to a gym and it's freezing outside, so I totally understand if swimming will not fly. Just brainstorming. 

4. GMB has a wrist workout that has been magic for my repetitive stress injuries in my wrists, and is enabling me to put a lot more weight on them than I ever thought possible. Their videos are paid, but if you're interested I can at least write out descriptions for you. 

• Haha 1

First off:  you need to talk to your doctor and ask these questions.  We're not medical professionals.

Second:  do you know what caused your injuries?  They sound like overuse injuries, so changing your workouts won't solve the problem if you don't change how you do the activities that caused the problem in the first place.

With that said, I'll second the Wobbegong's suggestions, especially the gentler yoga variants and swimming.

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

I know no one is a medical professional.  I’m not looking for medical advice and part of the problem is the exercise I do, thus the asking for suggestions.

Thank you Wobbegong for the suggestions.  Do you mind sending any parts of the wrist exercises you feel comfortable with.  Unfortunately swimming is not an option right, but it’s such a great exercise with joint issues!  I have been doing some hands free yoga, it just doesn’t feel like a work out.  I will keep plugging away though!  As soon as I’m off splinting, I will be doing more rehab with both arms too.

Thank you.

• Like 1

Okay, so as above, I am disclaimering this with I am also not a medical professional. And I totally get that you understand that, but I don't want anyone else reading this to be like, "but Sylvaa said so!" 

The internet tells me that your type of injury is most commonly associated with bending and / or pressure on the elbow. So I would talk to your doc about modifying the things you like to do. For example, switching from forearm to straight arm planks. (Info obtained from the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons). Same website also says to look at Nerve Gliding Exercises. A PT or your doctor should be able to give you a list of those exercises and things to watch out for while performing them. (Yes, you can totally Google them yourself too, but going back to the whole, "Sylvaa isn't giving anyone medical advice over the internet" :) ).

• Like 1

Lol!  Thanks Sylvaa - I completely release you from all harm!  I am doing nerve gliding exercises - I'm still at the point where I can't do too many and I can't do the advanced ones (pain!).  I tried switching to straight arm planks but it's too much right now.  That's when I jumped on here looking for exercises.  The good news is the pain is reduced immensely.  I splint every night and work hard not to keep my elbows bent during the day (although they are both bent now as I type).  I look awkward most of the time, but it's helped.

My husband has "bring a friend Friday" at his gym, so I went and walked on the treadmill - I kept my arms splinted (take about awkward - try walking at a fast pace with your elbows straight!! :beguiled:).  Obviously, not at a super fast rate (again, try it - your balance is all off!) but it was better than nothing. It also reminded me why I hate gyms and treadmills, but I was happy to workout.

I've decided I'm using this as a way to branch out on different exercises.  Try new things, so any other ideas that don't involve arms are appreciated!  Thanks everyone!

• Like 2