Forums are back in action! ×

Serious DOMS

Maria

So, after doing StrongLifts for a couple of months, I tried a power barbell class at the gym. Very different work out and of course I overdid it. Especially my arms. The DOMS came the morning after. It's now been three days and it is still getting worse in my arms. Tonight I woke several times from the pain. But I'm still pretty sure it is the DOMS, it feels the same, just worse than usual.

I've just taken some magnesium, since I know I can get a deficit. It might have helped better if I had taken it right after training, but I forgot.

Any suggestions otherwise than resting and trying to get a little movement and stretch even though it hurts? I don't like taking pain killers, but I might do it when I need to get moving. And promised myself to take it easier next time. Listen to the body before my pride and warrior spirit. :P

Current challenge | Fitocracy | UnTamedTresses

Elf Ranger Level 10STR - 14.75 | DEX - 16.00 | STA - 26.75 | CON - 26.75 | WIS - 27.25 | CHA - 22.00

Shame - there is nothing worse than a serious case of DOMS. I had the same after my first SS workout and it lasted almost a week.

A couple of things worked for me - a long soak in a seriously hot bath, foam rolling and doing some basic strength exercises (mine was legs not arms, so I did bodyweight squats and I swam). The squats hurt like hell, but I felt better afterwards. The swimming was amazing - really soothed the muscles - don't quite know why.

Do not worry if you have built your castles in the air.
They are where they should be.
Now put the foundations under them
. - Henry David Thoreau

I have a small pot of Tiger Balm for when I get really bad DOMS. It is a deep heat sort of deal, hella strong. It is sometimes called "TIGER BLAM!" :D

I was put onto it by my epic friend who lifts ton of weights and then jogs around in chainmail on the weekends, and is now at Sandhurst military academy. She is badass. She knows what she's talking about.

I recommend it, really helps me.

A word of warning: After applying TIGER BLAM, do not put your hands anywhere near your eyes or genitals until you have washed them thoroughly. (Your hands. Not your eyes or genitals.)

Pain is the feeling of weakness leaving the body.

Blog | Pinterest | Fitocracy

Pain killers kill pain. Just sayin'. :)

Thats one way to tackle it :P And I saw some study somewhere that found that Stretching wasn't effective against DOMS, so theres that :P

You could try foam rollers? I've used them in the past and they're pretty sweet. Or do some easy cardio just to get the blood pumping round the muscles. Swimming or some hiking?

I agree on foam rolling. Just starting doing it myself and it helps a lot more than is expected.

A word of warning: After applying TIGER BLAM, do not put your hands anywhere near your eyes or genitals until you have washed them thoroughly. (Your hands. Not your eyes or genitals.)
Reminds me about a guy back in school who had friends who put tiger balm in his underpants after PE class while he was showering. I can tell you, it was not a beautiful sight when he put them back on. :D (they were friends before and after, they just had a reputation to mess with each other, so no case of bullying)

Oh yeah, I've made that mistake. Nothing relieves the pain!

Would getting a massage be equal to the foam rollers or do they work in a different way? My BF is quite good at massages, I'm sure he could mimic their function.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it serves the same purpose as a massage. Massages would definitely be more relaxing lol. I found using a foam roller can be borderline painful sometimes. But after it feels pretty good.

Pain killers kill pain. Just sayin'. :)

I'm not sure about all of them, but I've read Ibuprofen does so by restricting blood flow to the area, which will slow the rebuild process. I took it anyway when I had bad DOMS, but I figured I should let you know that it will dampen the pain, but lengthen the time that you have the pain.

If you're going to take a bath, add some Epsom Salt to the bath. The magnesium in it will absorb through your skin and sooth the DOMS. Just make sure you rinse off after or the salt will dry your skin. Cold water is actually better than hot for releaving pain and alternating hot and cold is the best, but I don't think you want a cold bath. In case you are masochistic and do want a cold bath, don't use Epsom Salt with the cold water.

Try doing light work on the muscles with DOMS, like wall pushups for your arms. It will get the blood flowing to the area and speed up recovery. I overdid it on the lat pulldown one time and was in the same place as you. Pain so bad that it woke me up two nights in a row. I did wall pushups on the 3rd day and the pain started to go away after that.

Marsupial Assassin - LVL 3

STR 10 || DEX 3 || STA 5 || CON 8 || WIS 11 || CHA 7

Fitocracy || MyFitnessPal

Would getting a massage be equal to the foam rollers or do they work in a different way? My BF is quite good at massages, I'm sure he could mimic their function.

I have a friend who "uses" me for massages in place of foam rollers. I say "uses" since with her....I don't mind at all :)

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

OMG, I should not have tried to read this while answering phones! The people on the other end must think I'm nuts for laughing so hard!

I have a small pot of Tiger Balm for when I get really bad DOMS. It is a deep heat sort of deal, hella strong. It is sometimes called "TIGER BLAM!" :D<br />

<br />

I was put onto it by my epic friend who lifts ton of weights and then jogs around in chainmail on the weekends, and is now at Sandhurst military academy. She is badass. She knows what she's talking about.<br />

<br />

I recommend it, really helps me.<br />

<br />

A word of warning: After applying TIGER BLAM, do not put your hands <b>anywhere near your eyes or genitals</b> until you have washed them thoroughly. (Your hands. Not your eyes or genitals.)

back in the day this was a common hazing technique..some balm in the jock strap...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Reminds me about a guy back in school who had friends who put tiger balm in his underpants after PE class while he was showering. I can tell you, it was not a beautiful sight when he put them back on. :D (they were friends before and after, they just had a reputation to mess with each other, so no case of bullying)
back in the day this was a common hazing technique..some balm in the jock strap...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Oh god the pain why would anyone do that oh man wtf O_O

OMG, I should not have tried to read this while answering phones! The people on the other end must think I'm nuts for laughing so hard!

Hehehe, glad to be of service. Don't worry about it, people always seem to call our office's phone JUST as I've taken a huge bite of something!

Tiger Balm = Icy Hot?

Similar idea, yep. I like Tiger Balm better, though.

Pain is the feeling of weakness leaving the body.

Blog | Pinterest | Fitocracy

Massages will work very well :-) Foam rolling, tiger balm, light walk or jog--light activity is really beneficial (as the fellas said), hot epsom salt soak, contrast shower.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Guest Snake McClain

HAHAHAHAH hilarious.

Yes doms. i got them really bad the first time I did 100 free squats in a row. holy crap. oh then we had to do another hundred...and then another. so yeah. good stuff. hurt for 4 days.

Archived