Forums are back in action! ×

Running apps?

Guest Snake McClain

Guest Snake McClain

I have a question that has probably been addressed somewhere before I'm sure. but since I just started doing some form of running and the glamorous Spezzy roccomended that I do intervals of 10x100m sprints with 30 seconds rest after each one or 8x400m (yeah right) with 60 seconds rest I realized I need a way to track and alert me when i hit those distances. I don't have a running track nearby that I can access. Anyone know of an app that I can put on my phone (droid) that will let me know "hey bung hole you have run 100m" or whatever?

I tried to google it a bit but couldn't find if anything had this specifically.

Guest Snake McClain
I have RunKeeper on my droid, but mostly use it for 5K/10K training. Never done intervals with it, but there is an option to set up time/distance intervals in the "coaching" feature. Not sure if you could do both in the same workout, but might be worth checking out... oh and it's free.

right on! thank you. i'll try it.

Note: if it does not suit my needs i'm coming back...for REVENGE!

You could also work on a measurement step. It isn't overly difficult to do. Measure out a distance, usually in multiples of 3 ft (such as 12 ft or 15 ft), and walk it a few times trying to make the distance in even steps. Most guys in the 6' area should be able to step 3' on the dot once you know what the step feels like. A deliberate pacing step.

Then simply measure out where you want to run by stepping it. Will you be perfect? No. But you will be close enough.

I spent a long time as a field engineer, developing a step for reasonably accurate quick measurements was a very useful skill for me to develop, and it can be surprisingly accurate. 10% error is unusually high. The skill also doesn't take much maintenece at all. Even after years of rarely using it I can still pace things out quite well. The nice thing about it is that you can easily measure distances anywhere you go, and any error you have you will tend to carry with you (if you pace out 100m, but in reality it is 90m, chances are if you go somewhere else and pace out 100m, it will be close to 90m in reality).

For more accuracy the best way to measure it is with a wheel (laser surveying precision is totally unnecessary except for competition), but you probably don't have access to surveying wheel. You could make a wheel though if you have something like a bike. Put a mark on the tire you can easily see. A piece of tape or something. Measure how far one tire revolution is. Figure out how many tire revolutions it will take for whatever distance you want to go. (divide the distance you want by the length of one revolution). Mark your start line then count out the tire revolutions. This method should be accurate to a couple of inches in the 1/4 mile range.

*Edit - Forgot to mention, to increase the accuracy of the measurement of one tire revolution (all your accuracy will come from that measurement), measure something like 4 tire revolutions then divide by 4 to get the distance of 1 tire revolution.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

You could also work on a measurement step. It isn't overly difficult to do. Measure out a distance, usually in multiples of 3 ft (such as 12 ft or 15 ft), and walk it a few times trying to make the distance in even steps. Most guys in the 6' area should be able to step 3' on the dot once you know what the step feels like. A deliberate pacing step.

Then simply measure out where you want to run by stepping it. Will you be perfect? No. But you will be close enough.

I spent a long time as a field engineer, developing a step for reasonably accurate quick measurements was a very useful skill for me to develop, and it can be surprisingly accurate. 10% error is unusually high. The skill also doesn't take much maintenece at all. Even after years of rarely using it I can still pace things out quite well. The nice thing about it is that you can easily measure distances anywhere you go, and any error you have you will tend to carry with you (if you pace out 100m, but in reality it is 90m, chances are if you go somewhere else and pace out 100m, it will be close to 90m in reality).

For more accuracy the best way to measure it is with a wheel (laser surveying precision is totally unnecessary except for competition), but you probably don't have access to surveying wheel. You could make a wheel though if you have something like a bike. Put a mark on the tire you can easily see. A piece of tape or something. Measure how far one tire revolution is. Figure out how many tire revolutions it will take for whatever distance you want to go. (divide the distance you want by the length of one revolution). Mark your start line then count out the tire revolutions. This method should be accurate to a couple of inches in the 1/4 mile range.

Lol, forget my stopwatch suggestion - do this.

right on! thank you. i'll try it.

Note: if it does not suit my needs i'm coming back...for REVENGE!

You're too fast for me... I tried to update my post, and you'd already read and quoted it. I just tried putting your intervals into a new coaching workout, and you can do both time and distance intervals in the same workout, so it should do what you want. One kind-of-bad thing is that I live in an area where GPS reception can be iffy, so your distance intervals could end up being longer than intended if that's the case for you as well.

Guest Snake McClain
You're too fast for me... I tried to update my post, and you'd already read and quoted it. I just tried putting your intervals into a new coaching workout, and you can do both time and distance intervals in the same workout, so it should do what you want. One kind-of-bad thing is that I live in an area where GPS reception can be iffy, so your distance intervals could end up being longer than intended if that's the case for you as well.

althought i appreciate waldo's mathematical formula with tires and such...and marking off the 3ft pace is actually a great idea. the simplest thing for me is just to have an app. Though sprinting with a phone in my hand my be a bit of an annoyance...still seems easiest. I'll try this first. I have great gps reception. lol.

Learning the 3ft step off is a great tool for measurements. when i worked in the commercial maintanence business i would use ceieling tiles. 2x2 or 2x4 depending (square or rectangle respectively) and would use that. would usually be pretty close. sadly there are no ceiling tiles for me to count when i run outside. :(

One thing I have, but haven't tried is HIIT Soundtrack Timer. It allows you to set different playlists for your rest and your intense sets, so you can hear the difference and don't have to worry about listening to the beep or whatever other signal the other apps give. It only does time, not distance, but if you have a rough estimate of the time it takes you to do the 100m, then it should work well enough.

Also, it is free. That's a plus.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Personally, I'd just measure out the distance on Google Maps before-hand and use a watch. Being super accurate isn't overly important, and messing with a phone mid-workout sucks. A rolling measuring tape can probably be had for like $30 at a hardware store if you want to be accurate.

Not exactly what you're asking, but the Garmin Forerunner (I use the 210, I'm sure models vary) can do intervals distance+time. If you get into running, I'd recommend one, makes tracking/logging so much easier.

I would recommend forgetting about an app and just getting a basic running watch with heart rate monitor and foot pod. I have a Garmin FR60 and it's as simple and reliable as you can get. If I really want GPS data for a particular run, I use the MapMyRun app to supplement my Garmin. It will also track your distance, elevation, etc. and even announce your distance and pace at preset intervals if you turn on those settings.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Maester of the Citadel - Scout

STR: 2 DEX: 3 STA: 3 CON: 2 WIS: 2 CHA: 3

"When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground."

If you don't mind switching to imperial, seeing as you're in the states and all, find a football field. 100 yards from endzone to end zone, around the field (including end zone) is about 350 yards. Soccer pitch and same sides would get you closer to 100 and 400.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

I would recommend forgetting about an app and just getting a basic running watch with heart rate monitor and foot pod. I have a Garmin FR60 and it's as simple and reliable as you can get. If I really want GPS data for a particular run, I use the MapMyRun app to supplement my Garmin. It will also track your distance, elevation, etc. and even announce your distance and pace at preset intervals if you turn on those settings.

I got a FR60 too and I am starting to hate it. The transfer of data is so buggy and slow. And you have to transfer to see the calories burned. I am getting so tired of this. Also, sometimes it just doesn't record the heart rate for a few minutes only to kick in again. Hmpf. Looking for a new HRM now.

pre-Assassin

Clear eyes, full heart, can't lose!

Twitter

Archived