Forums are back in action! ×

Men: Professional Facial Hair?

Two of my coworkers have beards, and they haven't had any problems. Just keep it neat and well trimmed and do not take Gandalf as your role model. That's too much beard. :)
If you aren't sure, just shave for now, and then when you have a job... let the beard slowly creep back. That's what I did at least.

I'm just going to drop it back down to a VanDyke for now. Once I sign a contract I'll summon my inner Gandalf... or not... I couldn't pull that much beardy awesomeness off.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

I'm just going to drop it back down to a VanDyke for now. Once I sign a contract I'll summon my inner Gandalf... or not... I couldn't pull that much beardy awesomeness off.

One time a few years ago, during the winter, I decided to see how long I could let my beard grow before it started annoying me. It got really long and I swear I looked like a wolf or a bear haha. I don't let it get that long now for various reasons.

Longest I've had my beard was a goatee that was about 3 inches long. Goat was an apt statement for it too. I loved that thing, but had to trim it for my one job. My boss didn't care, it was our client that would have a problem with it. They didn't like the pink tips in my hair either...

Level 1 Woodwose

I sport a beard year round but I do maintain it regularly and keep it looking short and clean and have had no problems with it at work. However, I work alone and out of my car....so I may not be the biggest authority on facial hair in an office setting...

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Jabba the Hupp, level 4 Dwarf Warrior

STR 21|DEX 9|STA 12|CON 9.5|WIS 5|CHA 1

[/TABLE]

My Bucket List

As a lady, I have to chime in for the pro-beard team.

Also, I think an easy rule to follow is to dress and shave as others do. Before your interview, recon the people who already work there and see what they look like. Try sitting on a bench near the building one morning (have a newspaper or something so you don't look creepy).

It never gets easier, you just get better.

Blog -- 1st Challenge! -- Log -- Pinterest -- Goodreads

I've always thought it spoke highly of a man who took good care of his facial hair. I've had a goatee (I guess more appropriately a balbo, since my moustache won't connect) Pretty much since high school and I make it a point of pride to make sure I kept it trim and neat. I work with at risk kids at a vocational school, so I try and be a good example for them in my appearence as well as my teaching.

On the other hand, I'm hispanic so different rules might apply. Most men in my family have at least a moustache and I feel like it is generally more accepted for hispanic men to sport facial hair.

Outlaw Monk

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty" - Cpt. Malcolm Reynolds (Firefly)

My Mighty Quest!

STR 9.1 - DEX 9.6 - STA 5.6 - CON 7 - WIS 12 -CHA 8

This chart might be appropriate:

http://cdn.menshealth.com/images/MH_Static/beard-infographic.png

I presume that the chart is most accurate for getting hired, and is more of a guideline than anything else. Some employers might not care what you do as long as it's neatly trimmed and clean (this has been my experience), other might expect clean shaven and nothing else. When in doubt, just stick to what your coworkers are doing.

PR's

5k - 21:29

10k - 47:26 43:29

21.1 - 2:05:26 1:44:21

My beard is no more. I am bald faced.

I think my power is gone :(

I was wondering why I woke up with cold sweats and screaming.

This is the best professional beard in my opinion. True facts.

tumblr_m160ecnzbC1r8c567o1_500.jpg

If I could grow that, this thread wouldn't exist.

Level 1 Woodwose

I tend to beard up in the winter, but usually just keep it trimmed to about a three day growth for summer. Although I've recently started shaving clean a few times a week, for poops and giggles really. Come September~Octoberish time, the beard will reappear though.

As for as a beard for work, nobody here seems to care. My old job however we were required to be either clean shaven, or certain types of mustaches. Something about "poison gas" and "facial hair causes a poor seal on your mask" I dunno, I wasn't really paying attention.

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

Any guys do beard contests with their friends/co-workers? Right around the start of hunting season, my husband and his work buddies start a "beard-off" or "Beard-tober" or whatever goofy name they pick for the year. They get other guys to buy in. Anyone that shaves has to buy "doughnuts of shame," and is out of the contest. They also have rules, like you're allowed to trim, but the size trimmer is related to the week of the challenge, so as you go further along the length gets longer. Anyone that makes it to the end then shaves of parts at a time - from full beard to long sideburns, goatee and mustache; then get rid of the extra sideburns; then lose part of the goatee so you just have a "Hogan" (as shown above); then lose the extra 'stache so it's Burt Reynolds-style; then clean shaven again.

From a female perspective, I hate the facial hair. All of it. Husband claims he does it for warmth while hunting, so I don't complain too much (also, it's his face, so not my decision).

Any guys do beard contests with their friends/co-workers? Right around the start of hunting season, my husband and his work buddies start a "beard-off" or "Beard-tober" or whatever goofy name they pick for the year. They get other guys to buy in. Anyone that shaves has to buy "doughnuts of shame," and is out of the contest. They also have rules, like you're allowed to trim, but the size trimmer is related to the week of the challenge, so as you go further along the length gets longer. Anyone that makes it to the end then shaves of parts at a time - from full beard to long sideburns, goatee and mustache; then get rid of the extra sideburns; then lose part of the goatee so you just have a "Hogan" (as shown above); then lose the extra 'stache so it's Burt Reynolds-style; then clean shaven again.

From a female perspective, I hate the facial hair. All of it. Husband claims he does it for warmth while hunting, so I don't complain too much (also, it's his face, so not my decision).

This might be the greatest thing ever. My office will have this competition... once it cools off outside!

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

That is a pretty great idea. I've challenged a friend of mine, but that is only because he cannot grow one. It takes him forever, and it comes in blond.

I do Movember though.

I wanted to do Movember this last year but completely forgot about. But this year I'm definitely going to do it. Gonna have to get used to people looking at me funny since I haven't been clean-shaven in years.

Archived