Forums are back in action! ×

Ending one Journey and Starting Another

Rule #2 - When you join, you're in for life.

I joined NerdFitness over 10 years ago. While my interaction with the NF Community has waxed and waned over the years, it's always something I've carried with me, and have been happy to return to. Now I find myself at the end of one journey and the beginning of another, and I know that the habits and lifestyle I build here at the start will shape the next chapter of my life.

I just finished a 4,500 mile self-supported bike tour of the United States. From May to August of 2021, I rode my bicycle from my home in Central Virginia to the Pacific Coast. On my bike, I carried all of my camping gear, all of the clothes I wore, all of my food, and everything I would need to take care of my bike and my body. The trip took me through eleven states, most of which I had never been to. I spent time in small towns, big cities, and National Parks; I rode dirt roads, paved bike paths, and Interstate Highways; I got chased by feral dogs and threatened by truck drivers in 18-wheelers; I learned to accept the kindness of strangers, and made lifelong friends.  That journey is over now. I will always carry its lessons with me. It is time to take those lessons and look forward.

In order to go on that journey, I had to quit my job. This, to me, was no great sacrifice. I was ready to move on from my position, and my frugal lifestyle allowed me to accrue a significant financial buffer. Now the job hunt is on again, and in addition to a new job, I'm moving to a new city. I recognize this in-between time as a perfect opportunity to build new habits, and form a lifestyle I'm happy with and proud of. To pursue that, I'm going to explore what Level 50 looks like for me to define some long term goals, and formulate some shorter term goals that will make good 6-week challenges.

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

Conquius, Level 5 Cavalier

STR: 10.5  | DEX: 8  | CON: 12  | INT: 13  | WIS: 9  | CHA: 10.5

"Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim."

I'm in the midst of formulating my Level 50 and some ideas for 6-week challenges, and I've gotta say, looking back on my posts from like 2012, when I was a teenager is wild

>- Grow facial hair (+1 CHR)

Done! Lmao.

• Like 2

Conquius, Level 5 Cavalier

STR: 10.5  | DEX: 8  | CON: 12  | INT: 13  | WIS: 9  | CHA: 10.5

"Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim."

Welcome back Conquius! Your story is amazing - seriously, we stan! I have a one-day-epic-quest goal to hike part of the AT, but I can't imagine setting off for a continental bike tour! ? 

2 hours ago, Conquius said:

While my interaction with the NF Community has waxed and waned over the years, it's always something I've carried with me, and have been happy to return to.

I always call NF my happy-get-shit-done home. No matter how many times you reboot, the community is always here to welcome back a rebel and cheer them on.

Best of luck with your 5-week challenge, I'm sure it'll be epic!

• Like 1

Level 19 Ravenclaw Rebel

Fairy tales do not start, nor do they end, in the dark forest (Ted Lasso)
COMPLETED CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 13.5 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21/21

CURRENT CHALLENGE: Mindful Magic

That sounds like an absolutely amazing trip! I hope your return to NF helps you in shaping the life you want on the next stretch of your journey. :)

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru