Forums are back in action! ×

Need Help With My Resume.

Would anybody be willing to check my resume out and give me advice?

I am looking for an IT job (any in general) that is willing to take me. I don't have much experience, so I don't know if the way I have it structured is the best way. And any general advice is wanted.

My objective right now states that I want to get employment as a Systems Admin (above my level of experience, though not too far past my skill level), but that is the first job that has opened up in the area and I'm shooting for it even though I am 90+% confident I will get passed over without even an interview.

If you are willing to help, please either reply here or PM me. I can either give you a link to it through Google Docs or as a .doc in an email.

Thank you.

--EDIT--

Link to my edited copy that has changed name and address etc.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1B5Xq9ZB6lEgLgis4XWQm2Mqh85cZRwZmuO7gZL78T1Y/edit

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Just as a general point, I had my resume worked over by someone who was trained to do that at my university, and she had me get rid of my whole "objective" section. I figure that's what a really good, solid cover letter is for.

I wouldn't be the best to look over your resume, but if it comes down to it, I can check it out. I've been doing a lot of work on my own recently, so I'm in the mode. Let me know if you end up still needing someone once some more people post up here.

Cowboy - Human Adventurer
STR: 3 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 2 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

I only have so little experience, so I added the objective statement to fill it out to be one page. I've heard it can go wither way, and at times is better to have it for IT than it is for other jobs. I will have individual cover letters written up for each application, and my objective is just a 2 line summary of my cover letter.

Level 1 Woodwose

Thank you Librarian. I'm updating my first post to include a copy of my resume that has had names and addresses changed to protect the innocent. Anybody that wants to help will just be able to check it out and give advice here or through PM.

Level 1 Woodwose

I only have so little experience, so I added the objective statement to fill it out to be one page. I've heard it can go wither way, and at times is better to have it for IT than it is for other jobs. I will have individual cover letters written up for each application, and my objective is just a 2 line summary of my cover letter.

I know this doesn't help you at all, but it was so liberating once I finally broke onto that second page (ie, had enough professional experience that a one pager wasn't an option). I certainly remember all of the games I played to either stretch out to a page or to shrink to a page to keep that clean look.

I don't have any idea what people hiring sysadmins are looking for, but I could look it over from a proofreading standpoint (B.A. in English here).

Me too, BA English:)

I could help with the grammar, but I know nothing about IT/tech and such.

just keep on trucking...

I know this doesn't help you at all, but it was so liberating once I finally broke onto that second page (ie, had enough professional experience that a one pager wasn't an option). I certainly remember all of the games I played to either stretch out to a page or to shrink to a page to keep that clean look.

My last resume was for either IT or security gigs, I used one resume for both. It ended up being at that weird point where I couldn't shrink it down to one page without missing important things, or stretch it enough to fill two. I hated that.

Level 1 Woodwose

http://www.lifeclever.com/give-your-resume-a-face-lift/

this site gives several design tips, and a template, for making your resume stick out. it dosen't mention anything about the content but since i've used these techniques on my resume i have gotten several compliments

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Human Adventurer

My Bucket List/Epic Quest || Tasty's Reckoning: Becoming Bane

| Str: 6 | Dex: 5.75 | Sta: 5 | Con: 5 | Wis: 10 | Cha: 7 |

There are a few things that stand out to me.

It looks like you're primarily Windows with a little Linux. You might add what distros you've used. If you had any particularly interesting projects as part of your degree, I'd add those. I'd rephrase the MacOS as Panther to Snow Leopard if you're familiar with the naming scheme.

I don't know where you live, but if it's near Boise (or you'd be happy living near Boise), I know someone who'd like a copy of your actual resume.

"What's a black belt?" "It's a white belt who never gave up, Ma`am!
flourless | level 3 halfling monk

STR 5 | DEX 3 | STA 3 | CON 3 | WIS 7 | CHA 4

Not sure if you're still looking for advice with this, or would want it from someone in "flyover country." but here's what I've got. I have been minimally involved in hiring, but have done some.

First, this might be just me, but I'd rearrange your experience in order of most recent to oldest. For example, say Windows 7//XP/Vista instead of Windows Vista/XP/7. Small, but if it's a job with lots of apps, being proficient in what's most current is important, and seeing Windows 7 as the first word instead of Windows Vista is a lot more appealing.

If you're looking to fill up space, you could make an experience section where you prove you have experience with certain things. For example, we use Wireshark at work for a lot of troubleshooting. It's easy to say you use it, but maybe give a few examples. My resume lists my job experience in action statements.

So for example, start a sentence with an action word such as troubleshoot, evaluate, identify, etc. And work in specifically what you've done. Active directory is good for sys/network admin, so is Wireshark, so is any server experience, even if it's basics, for us Linux experience is nice. If you have done even basic networking, knowing the basics is good. Prove you know what you say you know. Lots or people drop big ideas, but put some oomph behind it.

I also think it's important to show you have problem-solving and analytical skills. It's very hard to find that, and almost harder to teach.

Thats all I've got! Hope you've found your dream job and this is moot! :)

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

There are a few things that stand out to me.

It looks like you're primarily Windows with a little Linux. You might add what distros you've used. If you had any particularly interesting projects as part of your degree, I'd add those. I'd rephrase the MacOS as Panther to Snow Leopard if you're familiar with the naming scheme.

I don't know where you live, but if it's near Boise (or you'd be happy living near Boise), I know someone who'd like a copy of your actual resume.

I used the GNOME/KDE/XFCE/etc. after Linux to show that I've used multiple distros, and basically once you get past the desktop environment, they're close enough to being the same that I didn't feel listing the distros I've used (which would probably fill up half a page).

I did change to the codenames of the Mac OSs, and I don't really have any projects that stand out that I've worked on before.

Sorry, I'm in Ohio, and currently not looking to relocate just yet.

Not sure if you're still looking for advice with this, or would want it from someone in "flyover country." but here's what I've got. I have been minimally involved in hiring, but have done some.

First, this might be just me, but I'd rearrange your experience in order of most recent to oldest. For example, say Windows 7//XP/Vista instead of Windows Vista/XP/7. Small, but if it's a job with lots of apps, being proficient in what's most current is important, and seeing Windows 7 as the first word instead of Windows Vista is a lot more appealing.

If you're looking to fill up space, you could make an experience section where you prove you have experience with certain things. For example, we use Wireshark at work for a lot of troubleshooting. It's easy to say you use it, but maybe give a few examples. My resume lists my job experience in action statements.

So for example, start a sentence with an action word such as troubleshoot, evaluate, identify, etc. And work in specifically what you've done. Active directory is good for sys/network admin, so is Wireshark, so is any server experience, even if it's basics, for us Linux experience is nice. If you have done even basic networking, knowing the basics is good. Prove you know what you say you know. Lots or people drop big ideas, but put some oomph behind it.

I also think it's important to show you have problem-solving and analytical skills. It's very hard to find that, and almost harder to teach.

Thats all I've got! Hope you've found your dream job and this is moot! :)

I have changed the order of the Windows OS's, it makes more sense to put the newest one first.

I have actually removed WireShark from my resume (along with giving it a completely different facelift) from when I last updated the version linked above. It seems to get lots of mixed reviews about it, and people either seem to tolerate it or hate it and I'd rather not have that affect me from the start. I'm also not exactly looking for a cyber security gig, just a basic IT job. So, it doesn't really hurt me to leave it out.

I think I have enough room taken up on my current version, but when I redo it (and especially when I have more stuff to fill it out with), I'll definitely use the action statements.

Unfortunately, no dream job or any new job yet, there just haven't been much need for IT in my area. I've only had a handful of job postings, and 1 interview since the original post. But I do have an interview in about 8 hours for help desk position, so hopefully this one pans out.

Level 1 Woodwose

Archived