Forums are back in action! ×

Quitting Smoking Today!!!

ShinAdamu

As part of my fitness journey I decided to quit smoking today, down from 20 a day. I got some gum to help with the cravings and have set a first milestone at 6 weeks. So far so good! My major fear is having a drink...having a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other is so ingrained it will be a tough nut to crack!

Good luck! When I quit it was really helpful to tell my friends I'd be with when drinking, etc. that I was quitting and under no circumstances should I smoke when out. They were super supportive. Even the people who still smoke understood how hard it was to quit.

Good luck!

Halfling Female Ranger

STR - 4 ~ DEX - 3 ~ STA - 5 ~ CON - 2 ~ WIS - 3 ~ CHA - 2

Just remember, if you break down and have a smoke or 2, don't worry about it. Everybody I know (minus one) that has quit smoking stumbled at one point or another. Just find out what led you to smoke them this time (stress? drinking?) and try to avoid it, alter the situation or find a suitable alternative to it.

Good luck!

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

As a former "pack-and-a-half" a day smoker, let me just say CONGRATULATIONS on deciding to quit. Its hard, but like anything else, its doable. Stay focused, stay strong, stay hungry and you'll succeed. It really took me about 2 weeks to really *click* but at about 6 weeks I was solid. Definitely lean on friends for help through the tough times. Talk it out if you have to. I'm sure you'll find plenty of ears and words of encouragement here.

Good luck to you!!

"Being stronger will make you better in every conceivable aspect of your life, except of course being weaker."

Fitocracy: https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/boudain

FitBit: http://www.fitbit.com/user/297TR5

RunKeeper: http://runkeeper.com/user/boudain/profile

Thanks for all the encouragement! I ended up going out from work yesterday and had a few too many beers, not to mention a pint of Jaegerbomb. All my friends were smoking but I managed not to have 1! Knowing that I can get rather mashed but not give in is pretty good, now I can concentrate on why I drink so much...

Thanks for all the encouragement! I ended up going out from work yesterday and had a few too many beers, not to mention a pint of Jaegerbomb. All my friends were smoking but I managed not to have 1! Knowing that I can get rather mashed but not give in is pretty good, now I can concentrate on why I drink so much...

Great job!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

“If we all did the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves.â€

-Thomas Edison

"I'm only at about 35-40%, and I'm surprised as eff."

-unicornassssin

Fitocracy!

[thread=16121]My Challenge Thread[/thread]

Great idea! I carried around a bag of dum-dum lollipops with me for a month for this same reason, but a straw would probably fit better into your fitness goals!

RedCedar uses the pronouns they/them/theirs. What pronouns do you prefer? 

Here is a fun game to help learn/practice pronouns that might be new to you: http://minus18.org.au/pronouns-app/

Last Challenge

Favorite Challenge

I said to the sun, "tell me about the Big Bang".

The sun said, "It hurts to become." 
~A.G. 

Tic tacs. Helped my father who smoked for 40+ years to quit plus it replaced several habits ingrained with smoking. Im trying to quit as well and personally I smoke out of boredom and I do like it. I dont crave the nicotine but I crave having one in my hand. And feeling like I'm doing something throughout the day.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Wake Your Dreams...

Chewing on a straw that I cut into the size of a cig helped with the "action" of having a cig in my hand. Gum helps, too.

I am so trying this. I need to do something and gum isn't an option cuz there is no hand action

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk 2

*** please place your autograph on the line _____ ; so I can sell it on EBAY when you are famous ***

Here in the UK you can order a stop smoking pack from our health service which has lots of useful tidbits in like a progress chart, info on money you could save and a scratch card with some suggestions on how to celebrate milestones. The best thing has gotta be this blue bracelet type thing, made up of plastic links which fit at an angle to eachother so you can twist it around into all kinds of shapes. It's meant to occupy your hands during cravings but loads of my friends come over and can't help but mess with it when they see it!

Congrats on surviving a drinking night without smoking! I smoked two packs per day before I quit. That was rough! When I was drinking (since I was in college when I quit), I would buy a flavored Black & Mild. I'd allow myself to smoke that during the evening, but not buy a pack of cigarettes or bum any. Being flavored, it felt more like a treat than my old habit, so it didn't leave me craving cigarettes. I like the straw idea posted above!

Keep us updated on your progress. :)

Level 2 Rebel
STR 5 | DEX 4 | STA 4 | CON 6 | WIS 7.5 | CHA 4.5

Aspiring Assassin | 1 | Current

Good on you! You have my 100% support.

I quit smoking and it was the best decision I ever made. I've never gone back and I never will.

When I came to the decision that I wanted to quit, I smoked an entire packet of the strongest cigarettes I could find and managed to get so sick from it that I vomited for about a day. I can't even think about a cigarette without feeling sick.

I don't recommend this tactic haha!

Awesome! Congrats and good luck. Please do you ryourself a favor and read the book! Allen Carrs Easy way to stop smoking. It's only 100 pages and does an excellent job of breaking the mental addiction which is the hardest part. Check it out on Amazon, 800 plus 5 star reviews. Don't waste money on nicotine replacement products, they keep the mental addiction going. I dipped for 15 years and smoked socially while drinking. Ive been tobacco and nicotine free since 11-1-11. Best decision ever. Good luck and read the book!

I chewed cinnamon sticks. Both times I quit. I quit a few years ago for a year and a half. And I've just quit for the final time this past February. It's not easy, and everyday will be a struggle, but you can do it! Congratulations on becoming an EX!!

Archived