Forums are back in action! ×

This line is mostly filler

Hi, I'm Dustin.

I'm a 32-year-old father of four boys that has been overweight in some form for all of my life.

This January, I decided that I'd had enough. Using mostly kettlebells, some bodyweight exercises, and a general plan of just eating better, I'm down from 271 pounds and size 42 pants to 154 pounds with size 36 pants tight but able to be fastened.

In researching ways to fine-tune my diet, I came across the NF site - the "Go Right" video hooked me - and, when I heard Steve on the Nerdkicks podcast, I decided to join the community.

I feel like this should be more interesting, but I'm really still starting out on this fitness journey.

If your can't fix it with bacon, you're probably going to die.

Obligatory Twitter link.

It does get more interesting!

So many different ways to fitness you can take, lifting heavy things, body weight exercises, covering distances. Its all good.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

I've been a reader of Nerd Fitness for a while, but it was the Nerd Kicks podcast that encouraged me to sign up too. That's some amazing progress you've already made. Really inspiring. Welcome to the crew.

“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.â€

-Tyrion Lannister

Current weight: 180

4 Week Challenge Goal: 175

Long Term Goal: 165

Waist Measurement: 37.5"

4 Week Challenge Goal: 37.5

Long Term Goal: 32"

good job! you already seem to have a handle on how to lose the weight. eating is the biggest thing to do right by far. exercise is needed of course but you have to do a heck of a lot of cardio to burn many calories. as far as I have read the DASH diet is currently the best, the safest and most researched one to use.

I'm pretty proud, thanks. It's inspired me enough to get serious about it. I'm now trying to ease myself into Paleo and I have a goal of eventually mastering the kettlebell enough to get RKC certification.

In the meantime, I'm trying to work in some bodyweight - looking at the guide here - and thinking about joining a gym and starting a weight routine.

Just realized I never put my height - just a fraction of an inch over 6 feet. So 254 isn't great, but it's progress.

If your can't fix it with bacon, you're probably going to die.

Obligatory Twitter link.

Welcome to the rebellion! I'm right there with you on trying to eat better. Although I'm not ready to make the jump to paleo just yet, I have been slowly decreading my bread consumption and cooking with more meats and veggies. I figure everyone has their own pace. Good luck!

Outlaw Monk

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty" - Cpt. Malcolm Reynolds (Firefly)

My Mighty Quest!

STR 9.1 - DEX 9.6 - STA 5.6 - CON 7 - WIS 12 -CHA 8

Archived